Options

'You're watching, Channel 6!'

BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
Forum Member
http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/201011158813/uk-government-to-receive-proposal-for-sixth-broadcast-channel.html
UK national newspapers have revealed that a former key broadcasting executive is said to be in talks with the UK government’s advisory panel to launch Channel 6, an integrated national and local television channel.

According to reports in the Daily Telegraph, Richard Horwood, ex- managing director of Trinity Mirror Television, aims top launch a channel that would be available to 25 million homes in the UK.

The Telegraph reports that in the next day or two Horwood will submit a formal proposal to the UK government’s board involving a single TV channel available on multi-platforms and combining local and national programming and adverts. The new venture will attempt to create a national framework of programming with viewers able opt out of nationwide coverage for local programmes and adverts.

:eek:

Comments

• Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Do we really need another terrestrial channel? There are enough multi-channels on Freeview and Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Do we really need another terrestrial channel? There are enough multi-channels on Freeview and Sky.

Not everyone can afford Sky/Virgin, and more choice on Freeview is no bad thing.
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought that they were leaving Channel 6 just for local broadcasting not something like how ITV was before ITV plc.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not everyone can afford Sky/Virgin, and more choice on Freeview is no bad thing.

What about Freesat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Freesat?

Same applies there, more choice is good, regardless of platform.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV 2 will love that ;)

moving on, ill believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is The Telegraph article mentioned above.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/8131168/Channel-6-would-favour-local-programming.html

I think Freesat would easily be second choice to carry this channel as many in rural areas even after DSO won't be able to receive most channels on freeview. The only downside would be you may not get your local version of the channel especially if it's on a town to town opt out. ITV can barely do that and channel 6 regions may be twice as many as what ITV used to show back in the 80s.

I may have worded some of that wrong but most will know what I mean. Using a mobile device and it's really annoying.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky 1 will also love it if they have to give up 106 for Channel 6. Same for BBC 3 on Freesat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Same applies there, more choice is good, regardless of platform.

Well of course :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    As usual, quantity over quality. We really don't need another 'main' channel, especially since in 2012 everyone will have (or should have) access to at least Freeview.

In my opinion there's already too many channels, meaning we're getting more of the same stuff only not done as well.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Sky 1 will also love it if they have to give up 106 for Channel 6. Same for BBC 3 on Freesat.

Indeed. If this happens it could open the door for anyone to say they are launching a "PSB" type channel and should therefore be allowed to jump straight to the top of the EPG.

Now in practice I guess that's unlikely to happen but I would expect Sky and indeed other broadcasters to lobby for some pretty tough conditions if anyone is to be allowed to go in straight at the top of the EPG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a great idea.

If they were run along the lines of the North American affiliate stations - with or without UK wide mandatory national and local times - to replace some of the bilge currently on Freeview.

I think it's possible that at least 2 or 3 channels could be on Freeview under such circumstances, with extra coverage on Freesat & local cable.

OK so the content may not be BBC One/Two or ITV/CH4 standard, but it's better than 24hr shopping and rather pointless +1 channels on a bandwidth restricted platform like DTT, considering ppl can easily record on Blu-Ray, DVD, HDD or even still VHS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    ITV 2 will love that ;)

moving on, ill believe it when I see it.

Believe it - Scotland's 'Channel 6' is already funded, and is going through last stages of consultation, which finishes in January, so is likely to be launched sometime next year.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all used to have a local channel - it was called ITV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DieKaiser wrote: »
    Believe it - Scotland's 'Channel 6' is already funded, and is going through last stages of consultation, which finishes in January, so is likely to be launched sometime next year.
    ok I look forward to Peterborough TV, live from the Ideal World studios.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

That wouldn't happen. There are only 5 "terrestrials" and that won't change. Any new channel has to take its place according to what's left - it can't get any priority. This proposed new channel would be treated no differently than any other new channel. Can't see what gives them the right to think differently.
    I would be amazed if this could all be funded!
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it is local regional TV, it will only be on Freeview or DTT whatever you want to call it. Satellite is not very regional, except for those with big budgets, which rules out local TV.
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wouldn't happen. There are only 5 "terrestrials" and that won't change. Any new channel has to take its place according to what's left - it can't get any priority. This proposed new channel would be treated no differently than any other new channel. Can't see what gives them the right to think differently.
    I would be amazed if this could all be funded!

"Terrestrial" meaning via an aerial, so could mean either analogue or digital, though more the later. :)
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member

It is when you end up watching You Tube quality channels due to the huge amount of crap squashed in a limited platform.

:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok I look forward to Peterborough TV, live from the Ideal World studios.

lol :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol :D:D
    I joke, but its a serious point, where are the TV Studios going to come from for local TV, outside of commercail TV paying for space at BBC Local TV stations, the Ideal World shopping channel, maybe the best place for a Peterborugh TV.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see how the ratings available could possibly justify yet another channel.

However, if they did decide to go ahead with this, I'd certainly hope some of the shite on Freeview would be squeezed out in favour of it, or they replaced Channel 5.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This idea seems backwards to me, unsustainable.

I would think that the only way local TV would arrive is via a web-based system. The costs would be low enough for even local chip shops to advertise on it.

Of course either way no one would be interested in the programming. Tiny flaw...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    However, if they did decide to go ahead with this, I'd certainly hope some of the shite on Freeview would be squeezed out in favour of it, or they replaced Channel 5.

Well they could get rid of all the shopping channels for a start.
    I joke, but its a serious point, where are the TV Studios going to come from for local TV, outside of commercail TV paying for space at BBC Local TV stations, the Ideal World shopping channel, maybe the best place for a Peterborugh TV.

There is that. Is the Ideal World studio in Peterborough?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is that. Is the Ideal World studio in Peterborough?
    lol yes, that is why I mentioned it.