Sky3 ad breaks

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been watching Justin Lee Collins: The Ten Pin Bowler but it must have been one of the shortest adbreaks only about 1 or 2 adverts and zap it was back on. :eek:

Never had the usual Sky3 ads either just Christmas ones saying Sky Believe in Better and an ad for Sky1! Maybe they don't need the advertising revenue? :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been watching Justin Lee Collins: The Ten Pin Bowler but it must have been one of the shortest adbreaks only about 1 or 2 adverts and zap it was back on. :eek:

Never had the usual Sky3 ads either just Christmas ones saying Sky Believe in Better and an ad for Sky1! Maybe they don't need the advertising revenue? :D

Who watches Sky3 in the first place?;)
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    godzilla55 wrote: »
    Who watches Sky3 in the first place?;)

More poeple than any other Sky channel!

It is very noticable through the night that less commercials are shown on channels, particularly some of the UKTV channels whose daytime and evening ad breaks (and subsequent endless promos) often lose me to another programme, in fact I usually record Gold shows for this reason. I have noticed ITV3 and Really often show no ads in the early hours, just promos. Also the networks do particularly well with advertising at christmas.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyViewing
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not seen sky 3 in ages, but I recall ad breaks being long
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a quick calculation yesterday after turning off the most annoying advert of all - the one with the fat opera singer and the egyptians.

If that advert is shown on about 100 channels each day (which is a rough estimate), twice every hour, that makes 33,600 times that advert is shown every week. Now if you calculate that the advertiser pays £5 for each showing (and I reckon they pay nowhere near that much), that makes £160,000 each week in costs to the advertiser.

Now, I can't imagine that particular advertiser is capable of paying that much each week in advertising fees, so I reckon the cost is much less than £1 per showing.

So the channels are probably getting about £5 in total per ad break in total, which means they are inflicting these truly awful ads on us viewers for a very neglible amount.

I would think that if all these ad breaks were done away with on what is, after all, subscription TV, there would be very little change to the channels' income.
    Forum Member
    poppasmurf wrote: »
    I did a quick calculation yesterday after turning off the most annoying advert of all - the one with the fat opera singer and the egyptians.

If that advert is shown on about 100 channels each day (which is a rough estimate), twice every hour, that makes 33,600 times that advert is shown every week. Now if you calculate that the advertiser pays £5 for each showing (and I reckon they pay nowhere near that much), that makes £160,000 each week in costs to the advertiser.

Now, I can't imagine that particular advertiser is capable of paying that much each week in advertising fees, so I reckon the cost is much less than £1 per showing.

So the channels are probably getting about £5 in total per ad break in total, which means they are inflicting these truly awful ads on us viewers for a very neglible amount.

I would think that if all these ad breaks were done away with on what is, after all, subscription TV, there would be very little change to the channels' income.

You surely are not serious are you, £1 a slot?

A classified ad to sell a washing machine in my local paper cost £8, granted I only placed it once but £1?, I cannot see it myself.

Google suggest one slot in the X Factor final cost around £250,000 although I don't know how factual that report is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30-second advertisements on digital channels such as Sky News, MTV or E4 can be bought for less than £500000 and adverts on more targeted channels like the Business Channel, Motors TV or Real Estate TV for less than £500 per 30 seconds.

Source
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, I can't imagine that particular advertiser is capable of paying that much each week in advertising fees, so I reckon the cost is much less than £1 per showing..
    £1 per showing?
    Ad revenues for the weekend’s X Factor finale reached an estimated £25 million, with some advertisers paying as much as £250,000 for a 30-second spot.

http://www.utalkmarketing.com/pages/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19859&Title=X-Factor_final_generates_%C2%A325_million_in_ad_revenue

I know X-Factor is the extreme example, but I dont think its £1 a time, if it was I would have put my "garage door wanted" ad on TV, rather than in a local free sheet.
    Forum Member
    30-second advertisements on digital channels such as Sky News, MTV or E4 can be bought for less than £500000 and adverts on more targeted channels like the Business Channel, Motors TV or Real Estate TV for less than £500 per 30 seconds.

Source

Hmmm Wikipedia!, I would politely suggest a 30 second ad on Sky News costs far, far less than £500,000, it does say less though which could mean anything I suppose.

Also Real Estate TV closed ages ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Hmmm Wikipedia!, I would politely suggest a 30 second ad on Sky News costs far, far less than £500,000 unless that is for a package.

I dont think its £1 a go, if it was we would be seeing alot more people taking out "Will You Marry Me Sandra?" type ads
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    I dont think its £1 a go, if it was we would be seeing alot more people taking out "Will You Marry Me Sandra?" type ads

I think other networks would bombard their compettion with programme ads if they were £1 a pop!
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More poeple than any other Sky channel!

It is very noticable through the night that less commercials are shown on channels, particularly some of the UKTV channels whose daytime and evening ad breaks (and subsequent endless promos) often lose me to another programme, in fact I usually record Gold shows for this reason. I have noticed ITV3 and Really often show no ads in the early hours, just promos.

Ofcom changed things a while back so they don't have to show 12 mins of ads per hour and can move them about the 24hr period. I think they're just restricted between 7-11pm to about 12 mins per hour.
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Ofcom changed things a while back so they don't have to show 12 mins of ads per hour and can move them about the 24hr period. I think they're just restricted between 7-11pm to about 12 mins per hour.

The actual ads on UKTV are of course are no worse than anyone else but my word they slap a fair few promos on before and after them, Gold is unwatchable for me unless it's recorded so I can whizz past them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think other networks would bombard their compettion with programme ads if they were £1 a pop!
    some already do, Sky have alot of ad time on Freeview, outside of its own channels. Also plenty of new shows on C4 or Five will advertise on the other channels.

I heard an ad on local radio, where they were suggesting a husband take out an ad for his wifes business, as a birthday present (it had a rather patronsing tag line "clever husband" that I dont like) is radio advertising so cheap that, it can be bought as a gift?
    Forum Member
    some already do, Sky have alot of ad time on Freeview, outside of its own channels. Also plenty of new shows on C4 or Five will advertise on the other channels.

I heard an ad on local radio, where they were suggesting a husband take out an ad for his wifes business, as a birthday present (it had a rather patronsing tag line "clever husband" that I dont like) is radio advertising so cheap that, it can be bought as a gift?

That's right they advertise on other channels, what I meant at £1 a pop they might literally bombard them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's right they advertise on other channels, what I meant at £1 a pop they might literally bombard them
    if ads are £1 a throw, I dont think they could afford to take out those ads, as they would be struggling to pay the bills for programs, yet alone paying for advertising off network. There ads also costing £1 and all ;)
    Forum Member
    if ads are £1 a throw, I dont think they could afford to take out those ads, as they would be struggling to pay the bills for programs, yet alone paying for advertising off network. There ads also costing £1 and all ;)

I agree, the transmission costs alone would probably not be covered.
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You surely are not serious are you, £1 a slot?

A classified ad to sell a washing machine in my local paper cost £8, granted I only placed it once but £1?, I cannot see it myself.

Google suggest one slot in the X Factor final cost around £250,000 although I don't know how factual that report is.

If you take your price of £8, if the particular advertiser I mentioned paid that price, they would have a weekly advertising bill of £268,800, which is far more than many multi national companies pay out. If they paid £100 per slot, they would have a weekly advertising bill of £3.36 million per week!!!

It's quite easy to work out - 100 channels (my estimate) twice every hour (it's often much more), seven days a week.
    Simple economics dictate that the company must only be paying about £1 per advertising slot.

Don't forget, a channel like UK Gold or Dave or any other in the Entertainment mix or Documentary mix or Cookery mix might have five ads per break, four ad breaks an hour, 24 hours a day, bringing in, even at £1 per ad, £3,360 per week. Add this to what they get from Sky (even at 1p per subscriber per month) say £100,000. Add the two together and you get a monthly income of £114,560.

If the channel gets 2p per subscriber from Sky, the income per month would be £214,560, and so it could go even higher.

And don't forget, the X Factor had a viewing audience of 14 million. Many satellite channels are lucky if they have an audience of 14,000, and some lucky if they have 1,400, especially during daytime. Advertisers will pay £250,000 to reach 14million, but how much would they pay to reach 1,400?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    There's plenty of commercials that cost NOUGHT pence a showing!

They are used as filler to pad out the hour sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    There's plenty of commercials that cost NOUGHT pence a showing!

They are used as filler to pad out the hour sometimes.
    but that is part of an over all deal, I couldnt ring ITV and claim a free ad could I?

As I understand it.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way it usually works is that the advertiser pays for a "campaign" with the advertising department of Sky, ITV etc.

The deal might be £500k for a 1 month deal, with a guaranteed minimum number of "spots" with a defined number of showings at certain times, with the rest spread throughout the day, across several channels.

Then they might want to pay the extra £250k to get a guaranteed play of their ad during the X Factor finals programme.
  • SKYtvFREAKSKYtvFREAK Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats quite common on many channels to have shorter ads during the small hours as the number of viewers are less. I know Sky1 does it. You can tell because some of the normal 30mins shows get shown in just between 15 and 20 mins :)
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

If it helps i saw something on tv which claimed that it costs £300 per second on iTV during Xfactor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it helps i saw something on tv which claimed that it costs £300 per second on iTV during Xfactor.
    those prices are far from normal, still would be nice to know what kind of price you might pay for a one off add during lets say an episode of Emmerdale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite easy to work out - 100 channels (my estimate) twice every hour (it's often much more), seven days a week.
    Simple economics dictate that the company must only be paying about £1 per advertising slot.

Have you thought about this logically? What company advertises 4800 times a day (48 times a day on... 100 channels)?!? I doubt ANY company has ever done that. Maybe it seems they advertise this often, but it's not the case. They probably would at your mythical £1 a spot price.

When I enquired about advertising on the very low budget M7 Liberty TV - which later became Life TV - about 10 years ago, I was quoted £90 for each 30 second advert... as part of a package to buy something like several dozen spots, with no option to choose when it would be shown. I can imagine most spots cost the advertiser something like a few hundred pounds.

-rapido
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those prices are far from normal, still would be nice to know what kind of price you might pay for a one off add during lets say an episode of Emmerdale.

Not sure about Emmerdale but during Corrie a 30 second ad across the entire ITV network will set you back 59 and a half grand :eek:

http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/assets/itvmedia/content/downloadables/spot%20costs%20-%20itv%20media%20-%20itv1%20and%20multichannel%20-%20feb%202010.pdf