Options

Californication Season 5 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hank returns on 8th January in the States, but it seems that a screener of the first episode has made it's way online.... Presumably Showtime has slipped it out as per usual!! I won't be watching anything ahead of time but I'm sure some people might want to discuss it already. Just keep it in tags until it has aired please guys! Only three weeks till it airs, whatever the case :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god, this must be the least contributed to thread in the US forum. Good job I did a search for it. I was clearly missing out on the fun.

No other Hank fans then?

Season five is halfway through its run on Showtime. I'm on episode four at the moment.

The gang is back. It's more than two years since the last series. This is a good thing. It's allowed for a bit of a reset in relationships. Everyone gets on again now they've got new partners and the dust has settled.

It's effortless to get through but feels slightly flatter than previous series so far. There's enough sex but the main story involving the rewriting of a movie doesn't have much depth.

Really, no-one else watching? Dannyboy?
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched up to Episode 6.I've always thought that Californication was an easy watch that eats up 25-30 mins in an enjoyable way but I do agree that this season seems a bit flat.Apart from the bit with Rinkle in the back of a cop car !!!
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched every episode since season 1. The last episode was pretty poor and apart from the babysitters nudity nothing worthwhile happened.

I'm easily pleased!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    My god, this must be the least contributed to thread in the US forum. Good job I did a search for it. I was clearly missing out on the fun.

No other Hank fans then?

Season five is halfway through its run on Showtime. I'm on episode four at the moment.

The gang is back. It's more than two years since the last series. This is a good thing. It's allowed for a bit of a reset in relationships. Everyone gets on again now they've got new partners and the dust has settled.

It's effortless to get through but feels slightly flatter than previous series so far. There's enough sex but the main story involving the rewriting of a movie doesn't have much depth.

Really, no-one else watching? Dannyboy?

Don't worry, I've been watching! I just tend to create threads for the shows I watch but if nobody else posts in them, then I tend to leave them be!

It's going incredibly quickly this year, we're already down to just five episodes. It is indeed a different feel this year, thanks to the time jump- but yet things do feel overly familiar at the same time. The problem with the show at this point is that there's no specific direction! It's just kinda 'whatever happens, happens' and we're simply along for the ride. I guess it's somewhat like Entourage in that respect, there'll never be much of an endgame. Some people may well feel that the Karen and Hank relationship is getting a bit tired- I myself must admit that it's quite frustrating that one minute she loves him and then she's going ape at him. It just goes on and on, every year!

That said, their relationship is one of the central points of the show and will always be there. Everything Hank gets up to in the meantime is where a lot of my enjoyment comes from. He's an incredibly cool character and I wish I could be a 'goddamn girl whisperer' like him :D I was a bit confused about Marcy being back with Stu again, I thought she and Charlie were on the road to reconciliation at the end of last year. The main story for this year is indeed a bit dull, but then I do think that the whole point is to lead up to Samurai's discovery of Hank and Kali. Perhaps Hank is cruising for a serious bruising? Hank and Becca's relationship is a fascinating element of the show too, as she continues to grow up and change. The way it affects their relationship is most intriguing and you can't help but feel for Hank sometimes- especially so this week when he was trying to do the right thing for once!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'm just on a high from not being able to watch Californication for an extended period of time, but the only reason I can see as to why this series could be viewed as dull is because Hank is being more of a good boy! (well for the most part!) I mean he took it hard from Karen and especially Becka when all he was trying to do was to do what's best for Karen's marriage. He also didn't mean to do any harm to Becka's boyfriend and was trying to do what's best. In previous seasons I'm pretty sure that he would have just knocked the guy one himself!

On a side note, I'm kinda worried about the lack of replies to this thread! Is Californication not as popular as I thought anymore? If so I'm real sad to see that because it has to be one of my favourite shows on right now!
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fan from the first ep. Really stretched the boundary on some episodes :D. Can't help feel that it's become wee bit repetitive in some respects - still a fan tho. Deserves a bigger thread ! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No episode this week, most annoying! I've not known a Showtime program to have any breaks before, they usually run straight through, uninterrupted :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    No episode this week, most annoying! I've not known a Showtime program to have any breaks before, they usually run straight through, uninterrupted :mad:

I know, it's annoying and it seems like more and more broadcasters are starting to do this. They've done it with the walking dead, how i met your mother, new girl, and impractical jokers -.-
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a break because the oscars where on.I can imagine that viewing figures would be well down as Californication normally starts at 10.30 and it be on when the best film oscar would be announced
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dar W wrote: »
    I thought it was a break because the oscars where on.I can imagine that viewing figures would be well down as Californication normally starts at 10.30 and it be on when the best film oscar would be announced

I never thought of this but you're probably right haha!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have loved this show up until the current season, which is quite terrible. I hate the addition of Becca's boyfriend because he's such a terrible actor (I loathed him in Greek too). The best thing this season has been Drea who was really funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discussion of this show has been dry this year!!! Who enjoyed the finale? A lot of neat and tidy wrapping up was done and it seemed like Hank might finally be starting to calm down and prepare to properly settle with Karen... then the psycho-ex attempts to kill him?? To be honest, that didn't really have the intended effect for me since
    they've already announced the Season 6 renewal, meaning Hank will survive
    - but it was quite dark. It was clear that something was going to happen when she appeared, everything was just going far too smoothly for him. I was disappointed though, as it would have been nice to see Hank get a happy ending for the first time since Season 1. Last year's wasn't all sad, but it was ambiguous and he was alone...
  • Options
    Alfie ElkinsAlfie Elkins Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    now that the seasons done i can watch it all the way through starting from the start again... lovely.
    the 2nd best character currently on tv behind Larry David and just in front of Don Draper being 3rd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gemz87uk wrote: »
    I have loved this show up until the current season, which is quite terrible. I hate the addition of Becca's boyfriend because he's such a terrible actor (I loathed him in Greek too). The best thing this season has been Drea who was really funny.

Cant disagree more with this statement,for me this has been the best season since Ashby died.
    It was great to see him slowly getting his act somewhat together.
    Batesy was fantastic this season and his dalliance with sobriety were hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got two episodes to go and the fact I'm struggling to find the will to complete them is my indication that I'm not finding this season to be all that.

I ploughed through the first three seasons back to back and devoured season four at US Pace but I've just not been engaged by this season.

I'll finish it and watch the next but it just got boring to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'm finished.

The last two episodes were a bit more engaging than the series as a whole and were conclusive.

But the season as a whole has been inconsequential.

We end the series with everyone essentially back together and a cliffhanger that's going to be so easily resolved it hasn't left much anticipation.

I hope we're back to more consequential writing next season. this one just didn't do it for me.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just actually finished watching it as I found out earlier in the week that Channel 5 have binned it, so I flew to the states, bought the BluRay boxset legally and flew back again .. *cough*

Really enjoyed it actually, but I didn't particularly like the cliffhanger - just thought it was stupid.

You almost feel that Hank is slowly working it all out and will eventually settle down with Karen and Becca. Loved the stuff with him and Charlie as well, as usual.

And I think i love Camilla Luddington a bit, especially since she appears to have also now won a role in Greys Anatomy :)