Old and alone

2»

Comments

• The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've progressed through getting older I've appreciated more of being alone.
    I realise that people reading this it goes against the norm, and I suppose its highly seen as a unhealthy view. But I utterly and whole-heartedly do not feel the same way as the "norm".

I live life how I want to, and I adapt overcome improvise. Rather than feel sorry for myself or think how crap the world is like a good many people may do who give work to jobs-worth psychologists.

There's plenty methods of entertainment, its not like you have to live a life by yourself on a secluded remote island of nothing to do.

You could be like most people and suffer from much more worries about the health or insecurities in your partner or the well-being of your child(ren) or constantly listening to friends boring relationship/friendship problems.

Live single, get a decently paid job, befriend a low amount of people as possible, don't have kids, then the world is your oyster full of luxury and no/little pain.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Depending on your age could you not move into a retirement complex - independent living but with communal facilities where you can meet up with others. It also provides a support network if you fall ill or have an accident. Not for everyone - but it's an option.

Meet up is good as has been suggested - but more so in big cities.

I expect it will be long gone by then but as a Londoner I look forward one day to getting my freedom pass and travelling up to Central London and seeing plays, museums, events, films etc you never have time to while working. There is a lot you can do for free - although it's a lot easier in summer.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    or how about a/s/l?! :D

Oh my goodness! Throwback to the days of online chat rooms and MSN!
    There's something worrying about a person claiming they have "a great sense of humour".

Not so much worrying, more a silly thing to say. Does anyone think they don't have a good sense of humour? It's one of those traits like "open minded" that everyone boasts they have.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »
    If you don't want to die young? Wtf?

Why would loneliness make someone die young? If you don't have health problems then you should live to be around 80.

Yes but it states that loneliness makes you die young. (It's on the Internet so it must be true! ;)
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but it states that loneliness makes you die young. (It's on the Internet so it must be true! ;)

Well, yes, then of course it must be true ..;-)

Otherwise there is a vast difference between being lonely and being alone. I am alone, it is my choice. Many people in relationships and living with partners can feel lonely, it is not about how many people are in the room it is about how you feel about yourself.
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is something you would consider - a bowls club?

My parents have recently joined one, extremely welcoming and prepared to teach them to bowl.

Due to high turnover of membership (people die) they are always looking out for new joiners and are incredibly welcoming. I don't know where you live but perhaps something worth checking out?
  • John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    acid rain wrote: »
    If you don't want to die young? Wtf?

Why would loneliness make someone die young? If you don't have health problems then you should live to be around 80.

Some of us like to keep to ourselves and I don't see why we should be made to feel bad.

Wanting to keep yourself to yourself is different from feeling lonely in that some people like being alone and others don't.

And, of course, for people belong to the latter group, then yes, it can contribute to how long you live:
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/03March/Pages/Loneliness-increases-risk-of-premature-death.aspx