Hollyoaks:Retro

rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A thread to discuss Hollyoaks of yesteryear.

Memories of when the Bensons ruled the show.

When Rob Hawthorne was a true villain.

When Mandy, Cindy and Tony were kids.

When the McQueens were just a nightmare vision of the future.

When the show was truly fabulous!

Comments

• Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Haha, I approve of this thread!

Its hard to imagine Tony as a kid.

Or Max and Cindy played by different actors.

Mandy really doesn't seem to have aged all that much, she looked older than her years at 15 and looks younger than her years now. Odd.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention with Jambo who was a really good character & the gorgeous Natasha who got killed by ecstasy.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Hollyoaks first episode is still on youtube.

Tony is such a dweeb.

Does anyone remember the spin off show where Tony had a restaurant away from the village that was similar to Il Gnosh? I think it was when Il Gnosh was Diva and the place had a multicoloured sign outside?
    Forum Member
    Not to mention with Jambo who was a really good character & the gorgeous Natasha who got killed by ecstasy.

And her awful replacement cousin Ruth. Shudders!
    I wonder what all these actors do now. I know we see Natalie Casey, Will Mellor and Jeremy Edwards now and again but not any of the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they hadn't killed off Kurt!

he could have returned to be friends with Tony.

(Also wish I'd seen the special on the speedboat, I never realised at the time that it was shown in a late night special and not just actually off-screen)
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Hollyoaks first episode is still on youtube.

Tony is such a dweeb.

Does anyone remember the spin off show where Tony had a restaurant away from the village that was similar to Il Gnosh? I think it was when Il Gnosh was Diva and the place had a multicoloured sign outside?

I have a vague memory of that, I can see the restaurant in my head painted in red? lol
    I wish they hadn't killed off Kurt!

he could have returned to be friends with Tony.

(Also wish I'd seen the special on the speedboat, I never realised at the time that it was shown in a late night special and not just actually off-screen)

They used to kill off everyone, suppose they still do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a late night show. Definetely a spin off with Tony and possibly Ruth, plus random new friends with odd appearances from the main show regulars.

Can't remember how long it lasted or anything, just the random image in my head (like a lot of things HO/Neighbours related) of the restaurant, I think it was brick outside and had stairs near the entrance.

I SOOOO Want to go on Wikipedia but these threads are keeping me up late enough without Wikipedia to keep me reading about characters a vaguely remember lol
    Forum Member
    Wasn't that the first ever late night episodes that had Lewis and Ruth shagging?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Bus lol?? Or was that another one?

I remember the naked on top of the bus scene being in the credits for years, even after both had left IIRC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, does anyone remember exactly how BAD Hollyoaks was when it very first started?

It's easy to see Hollyoaks from yesteryear through Rose-coloured glasses, but the truth is the soap had a very rough start in it's initial few months, and Channel 4 came very close to cancelling it... Truthfully it was just plain bad -

When Hollyoaks first started rhe soap initially centred around just 7 main characters who all attended college/uni. While some of them were classic (like Jambo, and of course Tony), most of the others were useless and very badly acted. HO attracted very low viewing figures to start with and was universallly panned by the critics.

Hollyoaks only really blossomed when the some of the initial 7 were axed and the cast was SIGNIFICANTLY expanded. This happened about 6 months in when characters like CAROL and MANDY first appeared, and other background characters like CINDY were given more prominence.

Does anybody remember that?
    Forum Member
    I think the bus one was when he was a proper junkie and ended up dying? The second lot of late nights.

Maybe ... lol It's confusing.
    Forum Member
    Bleaney wrote: »
    Actually, does anyone remember exactly how BAD Hollyoaks was when it very first started?

It's easy to see Hollyoaks from yesteryear through Rose-coloured glasses, but the truth is the soap had a very rough start in it's initial few months, and Channel 4 came very close to cancelling it... Truthfully it was just plain bad -

When Hollyoaks first started rhe soap initially centred around just 7 main characters who all attended college/uni. While some of them were classic (like Jambo, and of course Tony), most of the others were useless and very badly acted. HO attracted very low viewing figures to start with and was universallly panned by the critics.

Hollyoaks only really blossomed when the some of the initial 7 were axed and the cast was SIGNIFICANTLY expanded. This happened about 6 months in when characters like CAROL and MANDY first appeared, and other background characters like CINDY were given more prominence.

I can only remember Louise being terrible back then but then I was a kid so I wouldn't have really been looking out for acting skill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so close to going on Wiki.

If a channel had the decency to re-air the show, this confusion would be ended.
    Forum Member
    Go on Wiki tomorrow, it will help keep the thread alive when most of the younger ones who come on during the day wont remember any of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course there are going to be teething problems to begin with in the starting of a new soap, but as you say it really did pick up once the cast expanded. It was, and still is, so different to the stuffy main soaps.

How far in was the car crash? that was a prominent moment I think, really memorable moment.

Edit:Just had a sneek look, it was 1997! Can't believe it was so far into it! I remember Jude leaving though and that was before the crash so it was good before that.

again if someone would re-show it then we could more easily judge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there are going to be teething problems to begin with in the starting of a new soap, but as you say it really did pick up once the cast expanded. It was, and still is, so different to the stuffy main soaps.

How far in was the car crash? that was a prominent moment I think, really memorable moment.

Edit:Just had a sneek look, it was 1997! Can't believe it was so far into it! I remember Jude leaving though and that was before the crash so it was good before that.

again if someone would re-show it then we could more easily judge.

Dont get me wrong, they turned it around fairly quickly. Characters like Carol joined just a few months in, but that was after some big changes at the soap.

The truth is, the initial idea for the soap - 7 students and their lives, didnt work.

Hollyoaks had to turn a little bit like the other soaps in that it developed the idea of being a PLACE where FAMILIES lived, rather than a show about just one group of mates.

As I say, they turned it round real quick. But very early Hollyoaks is eyewateringly bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening scene is really cringing, Kurt getting ready to go out on his Bikie IIRC.

6 month turnaround is pretty good.

River City is currently better (imo) and more consistent than the main soaps, but honestly for over a year it was difficult to watch, some good bits of course, but still not great. Out Of The Blue is excellent just now aswell, but was cancelled within a few weeks. Thank God HO started when there wasn't so much competition and was given the chance to grow.

Some of the early stuff like Mandys ordeals, Robs scare tactics etc were so brilliant.
    Forum Member
    I remember the opening scene with Kurt getting woken up by an alarm clock Ollie had planted in his bedroom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think Cindy has had a personality transplant? Not quite the same girl who used to work in Drive'n'Buy eh?!
    Forum Member
    lozza73 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Cindy has had a personality transplant? Not quite the same girl who used to work in Drive'n'Buy eh?!

She has Judes personality. Amy reminds me of how Cindy used to be, involved herself in a few stupid things but wasn't an out and out nasty girl.
    Forum Member
    Julie & Tony in the sandwich/video shop, Dawn, Jude (urghh!), carol and her chicken fillets (lol), rooooth, sol, new age janine (who went out with luke in real life for a bit - I saw them buying a vacuum cleaner in 1999:D), lewis...
    Forum Member
    lozza73 wrote: »
    Julie & Tony in the sandwich/video shop, Dawn, Jude (urghh!), carol and her chicken fillets (lol), rooooth, sol, new age janine (who went out with luke in real life for a bit - I saw them buying a vacuum cleaner in 1999:D), lewis...

Mandy, Jambo, Kurt, Finn ... all great characters.

I've never liked Ruth!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening scene is really cringing, Kurt getting ready to go out on his Bikie IIRC.

6 month turnaround is pretty good.

River City is currently better (imo) and more consistent than the main soaps, but honestly for over a year it was difficult to watch, some good bits of course, but still not great. Out Of The Blue is excellent just now aswell, but was cancelled within a few weeks. Thank God HO started when there wasn't so much competition and was given the chance to grow.

Some of the early stuff like Mandys ordeals, Robs scare tactics etc were so brilliant.

They were quick off the mark with Hollyoaks, they spotted their flaws real quick, and changed them. Although to be fair if were really going back EastEnders and Coronation Street had really GOOD starts, attracting high viewing figures from their first episodes.

Emmerdale (Farm) didnt do so well, It attracted poor viewing figures for the first couple of years, and some ITV regions stopped showing it!

Neighbours also had a rocky start, it was actually CANCELLED by one channel in Australia, only to be picked up by another channel. Viewing figures remained bad in Australia, and the second channel were going to cancel Neighbours as well... but luckily the soap took off over here in the UK, and was saved from the axe.
    Forum Member
    Mandy, Jambo, Kurt, Finn ... all great characters.

I've never liked Ruth!

Who was Rob's girlfriend/Kurt's sister? Can picture her - pasty blonde girl but can't remember her name.
    Forum Member
    They were quick off the mark with Hollyoaks, they spotted their flaws real quick, and changed them. Although to be fair if were really going back EastEnders and Coronation Street had really GOOD starts, attracting high viewing figures from their first episodes.

Emmerdale (Farm) didnt do so well, It attracted poor viewing figures for the first couple of years, and some ITV regions stopped showing it!

Neighbours also had a rocky start, it was actually CANCELLED by one channel in Australia, only to be picked up by another channel. Viewing figures remained bad in Australia, and the second channel were going to cancel Neighbours as well... but luckily the soap took off over here in the UK, and was saved from the axe.

Was Brookside popular from the get go? Or did it have to go through a revamp too?