Options

Cher Lloyds two songs and album flying up US iTunes!

13»

Comments

• Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Record labels have never made money from singles. They are always used as promotional tools to sell albums. When CD singles were around a label lost 20p for every single sold. Now with downloads the price is even less. One of you quoted PSY. Very little of the money he has made will be from singles. He'll be getting money from Radio Play, Personal apperances, TV work etc. He's on the New Years Ryan Seacrest show tonight in America as an example.

A lot of industry sources, particularly Hits Daily Double, will now refer to "track equivalent albums" for artists and this is increasingly the measure used for measuring market share among the major labels. Singles sales have risen ridiculously fast in recent years while albums have fallen and this is reflected by changing industry attitudes.

In the UK, the song at number 200 this week would have been at number 23 with the same sales back in 2005. It's even more significant in the US (where singles sales were non existent in 2005).

There's money in singles these days. For Cher in the US, her TEA sales are just over 300,000. Still nothing special and so much of that comes from Want U Back (worth over 200,000 on its own). She has done enough to get a second album out there. But she'll need to get a hit pretty quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of delusional people on here. 100k album sales sales in the world's biggest music market will not do for a record label. They don't make any money from singles. The album has not sold well in the US or UK. If she doesn't start doing better with album 2 she'll be dropped.

1. Forget the "UK Industry/Market" way when talking about the US. They don't have a national radio station, they have thousands and you have to go to every station possible to get your song played when you are a new artist.

2. New artists that came from nowhere usually never break america with their 1st album.. (w/ nowhere I'm saying without a national TV Show, Carly Rae Jepsen Style or being a cute boy-band)

3. If you're saying Cher will be dropped bc her album sold 100k imagine what Columbia will do to Rebecca who just sold 38k.

4. Idk about Syco or what Simon will do about her in the UK this year, but nowadays Cher is the most successful artist in Epic Records and L.A Reid isn't stupid.. All she needs to break America w/ her 2nd album is a big hit.
  • Options
    FatfeatheryowlFatfeatheryowl Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    A lot of industry sources, particularly Hits Daily Double, will now refer to "track equivalent albums" for artists and this is increasingly the measure used for measuring market share among the major labels. Singles sales have risen ridiculously fast in recent years while albums have fallen and this is reflected by changing industry attitudes.

In the UK, the song at number 200 this week would have been at number 23 with the same sales back in 2005. It's even more significant in the US (where singles sales were non existent in 2005).

There's money in singles these days. For Cher in the US, her TEA sales are just over 300,000. Still nothing special and so much of that comes from Want U Back (worth over 200,000 on its own). She has done enough to get a second album out there. But she'll need to get a hit pretty quickly.

Exactly
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Forget the "UK Industry/Market" way when talking about the US. They don't have a national radio station, they have thousands and you have to go to every station possible to get your song played when you are a new artist.

2. New artists that came from nowhere usually never break america with their 1st album.. (w/ nowhere I'm saying without a national TV Show, Carly Rae Jepsen Style or being a cute boy-band)

3. If you're saying Cher will be dropped bc her album sold 100k imagine what Columbia will do to Rebecca who just sold 38k.

4. Idk about Syco or what Simon will do about her in the UK this year, but nowadays Cher is the most successful artist in Epic Records and L.A Reid isn't stupid.. All she needs to break America w/ her 2nd album is a big hit.

I am quite aware of how the US market works in Radio. WI am not sure how you could say from my post i was thinking of the uk market. We also have local radio stations as well. Although the local markets are not as numerous as the us. We're not aliens you know. Also the difference between Cher and Rebecca is that Rebecca's album sold 600k here while Chers sold 250K. She has better album sales in the UK to back her up. 100k would be pretty poor sales in the UK so it'll be worse in the US. I realise LA Reid but even he does not have success with every single one of his artists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am quite aware of how the US market works in Radio. WI am not sure how you could say from my post i was thinking of the uk market. We also have local radio stations as well. Although the local markets are not as numerous as the us. We're not aliens you know. Also the difference between Cher and Rebecca is that Rebecca's album sold 600k here while Chers sold 250K. She has better album sales in the UK to back her up. 100k would be pretty poor sales in the UK so it'll be worse in the US. I realise LA Reid but even he does not have success with every single one of his artists.

I know, but if BBC Radio 1 and Capital have a song on list A is almost sure the song will do well..
    The thing is I was talking about US labels (Columbia & Epic) Columbia is Rebecca's label in the US, not UK.. her US numbers are really low, if that happens with 2nd album I'm pretty sure her contract will end up being Syco only.

Cher numbers are low but if you compare with other 'new artists' in the US like Karmin, Bridgit Mendler and even Ellie Goulding isn't that bad..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am i the only one that thinks Swagger Jagger would actually do quite well in America?

America would totally "get" it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly

Cher will do it :)
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Maybe one and a half hits then.

And about 9 more to be more precise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WUB sold 107k and Oath 83k last week in the US. Doubtless will plummet together with everyone else's sales this week now we are past Xmas, but 190k singles in a week with songs that are three and nine months old ain't too shabby at this point. Think where that would put you in the UK chart.

She needs a hit to gain traction again in 2013 no doubt. But 2012 was kind to her for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WUB sold 107k and Oath 83k last week in the US. Doubtless will plummet together with everyone else's sales this week now we are past Xmas, but 190k singles in a week with songs that are three and nine months old ain't too shabby at this point. Think where that would put you in the UK chart.

She needs a hit to gain traction again in 2013 no doubt. But 2012 was kind to her for sure.

Yes! Also, last week her album sold 15k.
    Want U Back charted 40 and something on digital songs and sold 107k but didn't re-entered on Hot 100 bc of none-airplay, Oath reached a new up and now sold total 300k
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And about 9 more to be more precise.

What, in the US? I think not!! 1 hit, 1 smaller hit and 3 also-rans at last count
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cher should have a smash hit in 2013, or even re-release "Swagger Jagger" in America...:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    What, in the US? I think not!! 1 hit, 1 smaller hit and 3 also-rans at last count

Tut, tut. Your dislike for her is not going to detract from the fact that Leona has had 9 hits, and not just in the US, but the UK and many others countries too, including 3 no 1s, and 2 no. 1 albums platinum with over 20 million sales worldwide. Hardly a one-hit wonder!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tut, tut. Your dislike for her is not going to detract from the fact that Leona has had 9 hits, and not just in the US, but the UK and many others countries too, including 3 no 1s, and 2 no. 1 albums platinum with over 20 million sales worldwide. Hardly a one-hit wonder!

Leona has had 2 bigs hits in America. Bleeding Love and Better In Time. Happy did ok, but nothing major.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vash1221 wrote: »
    Cher should have a smash hit in 2013, or even re-release "Swagger Jagger" in America...:cool:

If she released Swagger Jagger in America they'd just laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member

SJ is her 3rd most bought song there, people say they like it on the reviews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ is her 3rd most bought song there, people say they like it on the reviews.

How many has it sold?
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Other than Oath and Want U Back its her most popular song on the iTunes bars. It peaked in the top 100 first day of her album release (IIRC it got to 97).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona has had 2 bigs hits in America. Bleeding Love and Better In Time. Happy did ok, but nothing major.

Yes, that's right, but nonetheless, she's done well to have had 9 hits (7 in the top 5) to her credit, whether big or small or wherever it was, a hit is a hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than Oath and Want U Back its her most popular song on the iTunes bars. It peaked in the top 100 first day of her album release (IIRC it got to 97).

Wow. To quote lord Rombod, the Cherpocolypse is upon us. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's right, but nonetheless, she's done well to have had 9 hits (7 in the top 5) to her credit, whether big or small or wherever it was, a hit is a hit.

9 songs in the UK. 4 in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. To quote lord Rombod, the Cherpocolypse is upon us. :rolleyes:

In all honesty I suspect SJ has sold two fifths of nothing in the US ie pretty minimal. WIth your Love is the most successful other than WUB and Oath and has sold about 68k without ever being released, purely off single downloads from the album. Across the UK, US, NZ, and Australia it topped 300k total.

SJ oddly had a bit of minor success in Japan, as has her album.

She's something that I suspect we will see more of in the Internet age i.e. the "global artist", and no I don't delude myself by meaning that's like being huge like Rihanna, rather it's possible to spread your sales widely but relatively thinly across the planet rather than being "British" or "French" or "Korean". As I said earlier she is clocking up 3million Vevo views a week and has been for months and months, they are not all from the UK by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 million VEVO views a week, no way? How do you get the figures for these things? Everyone else always seems to know so much more than me ahaha