Would Leo Dicaprio have had as much succes if River Phoenix was still alive?

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
I was thinking about this, and I strikes me that Leo became the new worldwide heartthrob in the mid-late nineties, but I wonder how many of his roles would have gone to River had he not died. James Cameron apparently said he even had River in mind to play Jack in Titanic. I think him not being around meant that this part, and others, naturally went over to LD

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leo would probably have had to work a little harder to get the roles he wanted (Johnny Depp too I think). I still think Leo did great with the roles River was going to get and he proved what a capable actor he really was in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. But yeah, he was generally coasting it with all the roles that were offered to him before being picked up by Scorsese. I think Leo would've had a similar early career to Christian Bale (who himself was overshadowed by DiCaprio for much of the 90s) where he'd be struggling to get roles.

River Phoenix would obviously have been a star by now, though who knows how his brother Joaquin would've turned out now.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was a producer with tens or hundreds of millions invested in a movie, I would feel far more confident casting Leo than River.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard to tell as Phoenix was slowly but clearly withdrawing from his film career in favour of his music career / band before he died.