Options

My Problem with Neighbours!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Okay it's official I have given up on Neighbours and have not watched it in ages. I no longer feel it is the show I grew up watching and the new changes planned have pushed me right over the edge I am really annoyed by it. I watched old episode clips on youtube revolving around Madge,Drew,Toadie and Dee,Karl etc and do you know what?It made me really angry at the way Neighbours is now. I literally had tears running down my cheeks for Madges funeral and her death same with Drew and some of the scenes were so incredibly moving. I actually enjoyed watching them something I haven't found with Neighbours for months

Now it is at a point where so much bad stuff happens when it actually occurs now I expect it so I am not as moved. Neighbours used to have humour and heartwarming storylines and characters you generallly loved and cared about. They were allowed to gradually become stars within the show they weren't rushed and they became well established.It also wasn't about looks it was about acting ability something I think is lacking now. No offence to Ned but the man who plays him is not really that brilliant more saying his liens than acting them and is more there as eye candy than anything else.

Neighbours is turning away from it's hardcore fans in the hope of getting newer younger viewers. Overblown stories are common place now and it takes away the magic of Neighbours. In the past you didn't need explosions and you didn't need bad news after bad news after bad news to have an effect the effect was there from the storylines that really touched the heart and humorous storylines that made you smile and laugh for instance the early HOT scenes.

I am no longer going to watch as the show I loved is ruined by people who want more younger viewers and sexed up storylines and angst for everyone as well as getting rid of the established characters and replacing them with people that are either hard to like or just not 'Neighbours'.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed, neighbours is not as good as it was, but then at the same time looking through rose-tinted glasses at old programmes is only going to make it look worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its better than ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still like neighbours although some of the storylines have been a yawny but i will never give up on neighbours :D
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    Neighbours is turning away from it's hardcore fans in the hope of getting newer younger viewers. Overblown stories are common place now and it takes away the magic of Neighbours. In the past you didn't need explosions and you didn't need bad news after bad news after bad news to have an effect the effect was there from the storylines that really touched the heart and humorous storylines that made you smile and laugh for instance the early HOT scenes.

I don't think that's going to stop. In terms of Australian TV ratings home and away (which gets double neighbours audience there) has been very successful following the 'big events' formula, and you can see neighbours wanting a piece of that pie.
  • Options
    sinkingradiosinkingradio Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the show has changed all that much really. It has a nice balance of hammy ott storys, drama and comedy. I think the one difference or growing trend with most tv shows is more stories involing younger characters - back in the 80s there were much more storylines involving the older characters. I hope this will change with the revamp coming up because this would fall into the back to basics idea they have been going on about. But with regards to capturing the audience with emotion stuff, I think on the whole Stingrays death was effectively done. All the people I know who watched those episodes were pretty moved by it and I nearly had a tear in my eye on the funeral episode - and I never cry watching TV shows!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I don't think the show has changed all that much really. It has a nice balance of hammy ott storys, drama and comedy. I think the one difference or growing trend with most tv shows is more stories involing younger characters - back in the 80s there were much more storylines involving the older characters. I hope this will change with the revamp coming up because this would fall into the back to basics idea they have been going on about. But with regards to capturing the audience with emotion stuff, I think on the whole Stingrays death was effectively done. All the people I know who watched those episodes were pretty moved by it and I nearly had a tear in my eye on the funeral episode - and I never cry watching TV shows!

I agree about Stingrays funeral it was very moving and i did cry :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,123
    Forum Member
    Neighbours is better now than it ever has been!!!!! I love it at the moment and it just gets better and better!!! So much good stuff is happening and coming up, it is great!!!!

Neighbours still has great storylines and great characters- who are always involved in storylines and we have no boring storylines or characters in Neighbours (not like other soaps). Neighbours is excellent and I can see it getting even better over the rest of this year from all the spoilers for july- december.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watching Neighbours a couple of years ago it all got so stupid! I used to love the liks of the the Scully kids and the ''Grange Hill'' side to it. It had good steady storylines, I htink the opne I most enjoyed was Connor's illitracay(I htink thats the right word!) and they totlally runed the character at the end. the stories are just blown out of proportion like hte one with the con mans daughter becoming a nun then having an affair with Ned and leaving the nun hood(again sorry if thats not the right word!). The last time I remeber seeing it was the whole story of Jennae/Jenelle being switched at borth-it was a ludicrus story! And how many more times do you think Susan and karl going to split and get back together? they should never have split them up in the first place!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found myself switching off from Neighbours a lot recently.

There have been brief moments when it's shown signs of improvement but I really dislike a lot of the new characters.

A lot of them are there purely for the eye candy - it surely can't be for their acting ability. Ned and the ridiculously-named Pepper are two prime examples. The writers will find any excuse to have a scene involving them with at least some of their kit off! :yawn: :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I stopped watching after the plane crash. When it was shown in Australia, with an ad break, it looked ok but on the BBC with no breaks, it was suddenly plane in air - plane in water which just looked so rubbish. I don't know, I defected to Home and Away a while ago (I was a bigggg fan of both in the early 90s) and it just seems less cartoony than Neighbours. The new characters like Pepper or whatever her name is all seem a bit naff and the super-aging Lolly ;) but I will be tuning in to see the David Spade episode, as surreal as it will be! That'll be funny :D
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with Neighbours is that once upon a time it used to have storylines that were more character led... the whole Karl and Susan break-up was a classic, they inbuilt that for ages, with him becoming dissatisfied with his life. There was the occasional big storyline which seemed a little silly, but nothing which was clearly just a ratings grabber.

Now they just throw stuff at the characters randomly, with people taking on assumed names and not being who they say they are. Pepper has a stalker... so then we find out she had a miscarriage once upon a time, something never even mentioned before.

And don't even get me started on what they've done to Sky! It used to be a must-watch for me, now I dip in like once or twice a week, in the hope it will improve
  • Options
    Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the London saga, and Stingray's death, were both very good. I really enjoyed and looked forward to those episodes.

But the rest of the year has been poor in my opinion.

I think the problem is that the families have become too fragmented. You could say that this reflects the way that people live now, which is true I guess.

There are still some great elements in Neighbours - Karl and Susan, Harold, Lou, Paul, even Janelle - but I often get the sense that they're making it up as they go along.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the forthcoming changes pan out...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i find some of the storylines of late very crummy but im holding out for the revamp. i think it will improve alot then.
    also i think that woman is in it from today, the one from sons and daughters. might be wrong but think its soon(rowena wallace)
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    It will be worth watching for as long as it has gorgeous hunks like Kyal and Sam and Matt in it.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    It will be worth watching for as long as it has gorgeous hunks like Kyal and Sam and Matt in it.

Kyal Marsh is leaving, he's becoming a carpenter
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,218
    Forum Member
    who are sam and matt. The last time I watched Neighbours was the ep where Stingray died which I downloaded from oz till when Dylan left that to me was the end as ultimately I only like the Timminses as a unit and without them together the show doesn't have a strong family which is what Neighbours used to be all about.

Used to love Susan and Karl but now I'm just waiting on the break-up I don't expect them to stay together and I no longer care about them. The rest of the cast haven't made an impact even lou and harold have changed.

Now it's all about hook-ups which yea ok I like but it's boring and hard to keep up with who's in love with who.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kyal Marsh is leaving, he's becoming a carpenter

Yes I know :cry::(:cry:

But Sam is still there, and Matt is getting hunkier.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nats18 wrote: »
    who are sam and matt.

Sam Clark (Ringo) and Matthew Werkmeister (Zeke).
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,218
    Forum Member
    Zeke really last time i saw him he looked about 10
  • Options
    circling girlcircling girl Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Zeke is a right little gimp.

The problem with Neighbours is that it's piss-poor - bad characters, bad acting, bad storylines. It's really down in the dumps. And apparently it's going to get worse before it gets better. I'm still holding out hope, although it's failed to engage my attention for months and months now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nats18 wrote: »
    Zeke really last time i saw him he looked about 10

About a year ago he was 12, but then he became about 14 and a half within a space of a week, and now he's 15 and nearly a half, and in two years' time he's going to be 17.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,543
    Forum Member
    Neighbours is great - I love it and always have :D
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    It's not much better over here, in Oz :( It's spending all it's energies on the horrid Elle, and Ned..

so don't hold onto the hope it'll improve over the next few weeks...:eek:

sorry guys
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    I would have half agreed a couple of months ago, but there has been a definite shift and improvement over the last few weeks, with more of the 'nice' Neighbours making a return.

The show is about to undergo some fairly radical changes in Oz (July 23rd I believe) which will see the show return to it's 'heartland' (a quote from the EP). A new family, sets, titles and theme are on the way.

They're also getting back to the character and emotion led stuff, rather than OTT storys. Which is great.

Obviously this will take time to get to screen, as the show has a six month (9 month for the UK) lead in period before we see what changes they are making.

The show did lose it's way, from what I have read much of this was due to Network Ten in Oz insisting on 'event' storylines.

The irony is we're probably going to get quite a lot of negative posts as the show changes, as the viewers who like the OTT plots start moaning that nothing ever happens.

:p
  • Options
    sinkingradiosinkingradio Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope when they do make the changes they don't end up taking themselves too seriously though. I know some of the stories can be OTT but its very tongue in cheek kind of humour and thats what gives the show its charm.

Theres an interesting article on the perfect blend website with an interview with the actor who plays toadie - he gives some spoilers away about the revamp and new sets!
    basically they have got all new sets but they are copies of the same sets they have got now, just higher quality and more realistic. According to the actor they light up alot better and instead of spotlights casting same amount of light over everything they have lights and darks to make it all look a lot more real