Moira - Emmerdale

13»

Comments

• thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's Gal wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, if she'd gone to the pub and bought everyone a round to celebrate then she'd be getting called a heartless cow. She can't win :(

She can't at all. She's accepted that the reason Adam has made his choices was because of her, which I don't fully agree but eh it's probably different when you're a parent, it's more than many of the parents would do in ED and she accept she isn't perfect.

I do agree with you that she does need to cut the apron strings from Adam however I think her over protectiveness probably stems from a. the death of John b. the fact Holly and Hannah are no longer in the house, they don't need her in the same way that Adam did by living at home longer. Plus they are very close.
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know she always takes Adam back but doesn't she disown him every other week as well?

Totally unstable.

I did used to be ok with her random outbursts of anger but since she has let James keep his creepy feet under the kitchen table despite the fact everything is really his fault I can't be doing with her.

The actress is great, always liked her. but they are writing the character like someone with a severe mood disorder and special learning needs.
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can't at all. She's accepted that the reason Adam has made his choices was because of her, which I don't fully agree but eh it's probably different when you're a parent, it's more than many of the parents would do in ED and she accept she isn't perfect.

I do agree with you that she does need to cut the apron strings from Adam however I think her over protectiveness probably stems from a. the death of John b. the fact Holly and Hannah are no longer in the house, they don't need her in the same way that Adam did by living at home longer. Plus they are very close.

Moira and Adam have always been very close, even when she had the affair with Cain it was Adam who stood by her. She's always said that he's her boy and I don't think she wants to let go of him and lose that final link to John.

I think Moira is being a bit hard on herself, Adam is a grown man and is old enough to make his own choices but she seems to blame herself for everything that he does wrong. Mind you, Cain seems it have the same beliefs, when Debbie went off the rails he said that it was his fault cause she was his daughter.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    Whoa there, Lotty! Say what now?? :p:D

Hee, hee! Now that would be a weird mother and son relationship! :o
    Of course I meant Cain and not Adam, lol!
    ally08 wrote: »
    What annoyed me, apart from Moira continuing to breathe, was the way she tried to make out that Adam was some kind of hero for 'facing up to what he did'.

So he wasn't forced into it at all then? He still hasn't faced up to how he ruined Andy's life then? Or faced up to how he was part of some stupid criminal stunt that ended up with Donna dead?

He is a creepy little coward whose mother has ruined him.

And she is basically an idiot.

BIB: You're a fan then?!
    I wonder how people would feel if she started dancing in the woolpack?

No one is saying that she should be doing that either though (drunken dancing might have been amusing though :D) I get her being upset but the mini-tantrums, taking umbridge with Peter when granted he was insensitive but thought he was being helpful/practical and then the extreme blaming of herself instead of wondering why she has a son who goes ridiculously OTT and facing up to the fact that he and he alone is responsible for his actions. Unless he has something wrong with him he chooses to act like this.
    Moira and Adam have always been very close, even when she had the affair with Cain it was Adam who stood by her. She's always said that he's her boy and I don't think she wants to let go of him and lose that final link to John.

I think Moira is being a bit hard on herself, Adam is a grown man and is old enough to make his own choices but she seems to blame herself for everything that he does wrong. Mind you, Cain seems it have the same beliefs, when Debbie went off the rails he said that it was his fault cause she was his daughter.

She's far too hard on herself, she'll be wearing a hair shirt next! She really has to get it through her head that finding out about her actions might be the catalyst for Adam's behaviour but he's the one who is responsible for his actions. He's a loose cannon.

But facing the fact that your children can have feet of clay can be difficult in the ordinary sense. Facing the fact that your boy has committed arson, tried to kill someone and sat back and let his best mate take the blame for 2 years. Was responsible for seriously injuring Andy. Was going to rob the Woolie when you're mates with the owner. Was a getaway driver on a job that resulted in a young woman's death etc must take some swallowing. I suppose it's natural to wonder where you went wrong or blame yourself for things you know you did wrong but sooner or later I'd hope you'd come to the conclusion that it's not really your fault and he's just a bad egg and probably would have been like this no matter what, your actions were just a catalyst.

And I liked the way she apologised to Peter tonight :)
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am amazed that Cain lets the Barton tribe live there
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I am amazed that Cain lets the Barton tribe live there

There's only Pete & Finn living there.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    No I meant he was forced into confessing not forced into being a inept arsonist and all round cockwomble.

/QUOTE]

BIB you learn something new on t'internet every day!

Kind of lost interest in Moira since the Woodentops moved in. She seems to have had a complete character change. Count your blessings woman, you have a business that seems to be doing well, a pain in the ar*e son that will be out of your hair for a few months, Daddy Woodentop has moved in with Foghorn Leghorn and you sleep with Cain Dingle, what more can you ask of life?

C&S, keyboard arrived safely, thank you!:D
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I wanted to kick her face in tonight! She is such a selfish bitch

Your comment is a bit extreme, it's only a soap and wanting to kick someone's face in is disgusting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure that wanting to kick someone in the face is disgusting, if you actually did it it might be. ;)

I often want to commit violent acts on fictional soap characters, great for getting rid of internal anger.

I won't tell you what I would like to inflict on Fizz from Corrie, it might make me look a bit weird. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I have a son about Adam's age and no, I don't think I would. I wouldn't have been comfortable with the knowledge that for two years someone else didn't have their son because he was on the run protecting mine. I'm not that selfish, that would never have sat lightly with me. I also believe that in that if you do the crime and get caught you bloomin' well do the time - cause and consequence. I was actually quite sorry that Chas wasn't there to confront her with: "so you'd rather MY son was on the run and taking the blame even though he's innocent or behind bars for something he hasn't done?" That would have put her right on the spot.

Yes this is what exactly pissed me off, and there is loads of other things Adam has got way with (Kerry hit and run for example!!)
  • MavisConsuelaMavisConsuela Posts: 1,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Moira but ever since that haircut she's been going down hill!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I didn't get was she was upset with her son going to jail but then the day after agree's to go on holiday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I didn't get was she was upset with her son going to jail but then the day after agree's to go on holiday.

Her hand was basically forced with the whole holiday thing as everyone kept going on about it. I think I would sod off as well.
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    patricia50 wrote: »
    Your comment is a bit extreme, it's only a soap and wanting to kick someone's face in is disgusting.
    Agree totally with your Post.
    There is no need at all for such a comment.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The selfish cow was okay with someone else taking the blame for her son.
    You'd think he was going to the electric chair the way she went on.
    Ok, you'd be a bit upset but I'd be more upset at WHY my son was going to prison rather than the fact he was.

She needs to shut up. Stupid miserable bint.
    Aaron was exiled for about 24 months to protect her son, but Adam will do 9 months at most. Only 9 months, for arson and endangering life, doesn't sound right to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron was exiled for about 24 months to protect her son, but Adam will do 9 months at most. Only 9 months, for arson and endangering life, doesn't sound right to me.

but no-one forced Aaron to do that. He went of his own accord.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blondiexox wrote: »
    Yes this is what exactly pissed me off, and there is loads of other things Adam has got way with (Kerry hit and run for example!!)

I'd forgotten about the Kerry hit and run!

He truly is a son to be proud of, lol!

Personally I would like it if we heard he was getting some kind of therapy/help in prison so that he can cope with stressful issues in his life without resorting to violence or dangerous behaviour. I've said for a while now that his reactions just aren't normal. If he continues like this he'll harm himself, or worse, someone else. If I was Moira this would be my main worry.

Saw a photo of her with the long hair the other day and have to agree, it looked much better. I think naturally curly hair does look better longer (on a woman) as shorter it can stick out all over the place and be uncontrolable :D
    Her hand was basically forced with the whole holiday thing as everyone kept going on about it. I think I would sod off as well.

Too right I would! She can't help Adam now so she might as well have a break to recharge her own batteries.
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were me then I certainly would - regardless of what they had done.

I know a lot of FM's think her behaviour was way OTT last night but I think her behaviour was spot. His sentence is only for nine months but who knows what could happen to him in that time? Of course she would be worried, its not like Moira is used to seeing her kids sent to prison and, coupled with how guilty she felt, I think her reaction was quite realistic. I also think Natalie J Robb put in a very good performance last night :)

Someone that agrees with something i have to say, Praise the Lord.
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His half brother and dad didn't seem to bothered about him being jailed and neither did Aaron.

The bond between mother and son/daugter is much different to that of father and son/daughter. Many fathers can take or otherwise to their children and walk away from them, but almost all mothers have a bond with them.
  • AngelJeanAngelJean Posts: 4,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the haircut and that horrible leather jacket she wears. I don't remember is she always had that but it doesn't suit her. She would look much better in one of those green jackets the others wear. I am sure she has one of those.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this idea that by standing by your children, even if they are murderers or arsonists or just generally unpleasant makes you a real parent.

Note to parents, it doesn't, it makes you stupid.

Not saying that parents should disown children if they do something criminal, evil or selfish but trying to excuse what they have done is still wrong no matter how much you love them.

Get them help to make sure they don't do that kind of thing again but giving them an alibi just makes you a moron.