Why are the Coven worse than certain other celebs?

DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
Forum Member
✭✭
Now granted, the behaviour of Jade, Danielle and Jo on CBB has been unpleasant, but compare their treatment to that given to certain other erring celebs;

1. Cheryl Tweedy. Punched a woman in a nightclub and was convicted of assault. Racism was alleged, though she was acquited of the racial aspect. Nonetheless, she violently assaulted somebody, which none of the Coven have done. Surely this is a worse offence, yet Cheryl has consistently remained a member of the UK's most successful girl band.

2. Naomi Campbell. I think we've all lost count of how many maids and other assorted "underlings" Naomi has assaulted over the years. Yet if she's ever had any modelling contracts cancelled over her behaviour, I've never heard of them. A bit of token community service, sure, and maybe she'll have to give the latest maid a pay-out (which she'll never miss). But she's never had any real damage to her career.

3. Mel Gibson. If the Coven are racists, then so is Mel. Remember his anti-Semitic rantings when he got done for drunk driving? Not only is he a racist, he's a racist who thinks it's fine to put other road-users lives at risk by getting behind the wheel of his car drunk. If any of the Coven have been done for drunk driving, then they're on a par with him; otherwise, Mel is worse. Yet the Great British Public are still filling the cinema seats to see this clown's latest film.

I'm sure I could probably think of others, but you get my point; Jade, Danielle and Jo have not behaved well, and I don't defend them, yet they seem to be untouchable pariahs, whereas other celebs have got away with worse.

Indeed, is old Tone Blair in a position to throw stones? Have these lasses shamed the nation more than a man who led us into an illegal war that has killed thousands based on lies? (OK, unfair political trolling and off the point, but still....)

Comments

• DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Threads fairly vanish off the front page quickly these days.

I'd genuinely like opinions on this, so I'm bumping it.
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    I've drunk too much to comment or read all that, but it looks like an intelligent argument, so I'll bump it too.
  • Rat ScabiesRat Scabies Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure I could probably think of others, but you get my point; Jade, Danielle and Jo have not behaved well, and I don't defend them, yet they seem to be untouchable pariahs, whereas other celebs have got away with worse.

So therefore, these girls should also get away with 'it'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dawnrayd wrote:
    I've drunk too much to comment or read all that, but it looks like an intelligent argument, so I'll bump it too.

Ah cheers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,238
    Forum Member
    It's simple.. she's not any worse.. it's just the complainers who love to complain complained basically and then it's worldwide hysteria.
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    Ah cheers!

No problem (another bump).
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    IMO There is a voluble "group" of people who are ante Jade and were against her before she entered the house.

They were waiting for something to jump on, however tenuous and that's what they did. Even though it was Danni who made slurrs first!

Others climbed on the bandwagon and lo and behold an international incident.
  • quislingquisling Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do have a fair point, but maybe the difference is they all did it in their private lives and not on national tv.

Also, each one has a proper career. If Gibson produces a great film like Apocalyptico (dunno, I don't do films) people can at least say - I hate the guy for his private views but he makes damn good films.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's just a couple of points that sprung to mind.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now granted, the behaviour of Jade, Danielle and Jo on CBB has been unpleasant, but compare their treatment to that given to certain other erring celebs;

1. Cheryl Tweedy. Punched a woman in a nightclub and was convicted of assault. Racism was alleged, though she was acquited of the racial aspect. Nonetheless, she violently assaulted somebody, which none of the Coven have done. Surely this is a worse offence, yet Cheryl has consistently remained a member of the UK's most successful girl band.

2. Naomi Campbell. I think we've all lost count of how many maids and other assorted "underlings" Naomi has assaulted over the years. Yet if she's ever had any modelling contracts cancelled over her behaviour, I've never heard of them. A bit of token community service, sure, and maybe she'll have to give the latest maid a pay-out (which she'll never miss). But she's never had any real damage to her career.

3. Mel Gibson. If the Coven are racists, then so is Mel. Remember his anti-Semitic rantings when he got done for drunk driving? Not only is he a racist, he's a racist who thinks it's fine to put other road-users lives at risk by getting behind the wheel of his car drunk. If any of the Coven have been done for drunk driving, then they're on a par with him; otherwise, Mel is worse. Yet the Great British Public are still filling the cinema seats to see this clown's latest film.

Indeed, is old Tone Blair in a position to throw stones? Have these lasses shamed the nation more than a man who led us into an illegal war that has killed thousands based on lies? (OK, unfair political trolling and off the point, but still....)

Jade punched her ex husband. A woman in the street, and has bullyed fellow contestants, on three seperate reality shows.

That's 5 reported victims of her over zealous behavior.

Now we have six. How many more times does she have to behave in this manner before people see this is a large part of what she is?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So therefore, these girls should also get away with 'it'?

That doesn't answer my question; I just want to know why they are being made pariahs when the others weren't.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really sure what your point is..........

Cheryl, naomi, mel have all been called to account for what they did, in some cases prosecuted........

After that they're free to resume their careers.

As far as i know Jade & Co will not be prosecuted, they'll be chucked off a game show............they'll be free to resume their careers.

Is the basic difference that the ones you mention all have a proper career based on some talent that is in demand...........therefore they can easily pick up a career.............whereas with Jade, if she isn't popular, she has nothing to fall back on...........no talent to sell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I think the the point about already having a career is a large part of it. If you already like the records, films etc, what the person who made them does in other parts of their life isn't going to alter that
    plus - we know about these things, but we didn't have the actual event beamed into our living room.
    And if you go on a reality TV show - it's all about promoting your personality - being yourself is a BAD idea if you're actually not very nice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quisling wrote:
    You do have a fair point, but maybe the difference is they all did it in their private lives and not on national tv.

Also, each one has a proper career. If Gibson produces a great film like Apocalyptico (dunno, I don't do films) people can at least say - I hate the guy for his private views but he makes damn good films.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's just a couple of points that sprung to mind.

Jo is a singer the same as Cheryl Tweedy. Danielle is a model the same as Naomi Campbell. Perhaps their careers have been less successful, but if Cheryl and Naomi have proper careers, then so do Jo and Danielle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade punched her ex husband. A woman in the street, and has bullyed fellow contestants, on three seperate reality shows.

That's 5 reported victims of her over zealous behavior.

Now we have six. How many more times does she have to behave in this manner before people see this is a large part of what she is?

I didn't know about Jade's punching two people; I'll grant you that makes her worse. Nonetheless, she continued to be successful after these incidents and it's only now she is being made a pariah. And what she's done on CBB is not as bad as the punching incidents.
  • Rat ScabiesRat Scabies Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't answer my question; I just want to know why they are being made pariahs when the others weren't.

I think it will blow over as about as quickly as Tweedys or ibsons troubles blew over, and they will be back modelling and doing whatever it is they do pretty soon.

They wont be affected anymore than Tweedy Gibson or indeed Jade was when she bullied first time around, or second time around.

You ask the question as if their status as pariah is beyond doubt, and will ruin thier whole lives, well i counter with my above prediction, hah!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote:
    Not really sure what your point is..........

Cheryl, naomi, mel have all been called to account for what they did, in some cases prosecuted........

After that they're free to resume their careers.

As far as i know Jade & Co will not be prosecuted, they'll be chucked off a game show............they'll be free to resume their careers.

Yes, but the point is that the public hatred towards them means that they are unlikely to be allowed to resume their careers, and this hatred did not manifest itself in the other cases.

Danielle has already lost contracts, and at least one of Jo's gigs looks in doubt. They are being made pariahs, whereas Mel, Cheryl and Naomi never were. And I'd like to know why the distinction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will blow over as about as quickly as Tweedys or ibsons troubles blew over, and they will be back modelling and doing whatever it is they do pretty soon.

They wont be affected anymore than Tweedy Gibson or indeed Jade was when she bullied first time around, or second time around.

You ask the question as if their status as pariah is beyond doubt, and will ruin thier whole lives, well i counter with my above prediction, hah!

Time will tell. I actually hope you're right, because much as I dislike the way they've behaved, I do feel some sympathy for them. Misplaced it may be, but there it is.