Options

Cat owners - I just don't get it.....

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    What it seems to say is that if you have many cats, there is a limit to the amount of poo you as a neighbour should have to put up with. The odd cat turd appears to be hard cheese, half a dozen little bastards crapping in your flowers is not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    PingMyPong wrote: »
    Cant you see how this is irresponsible and might affect other humans?
    It isn't 'irresponsible' in the least.
    I would suggest you are getting your knickers in a twist over something very trivial.

Despite what you might try to imply, I am a responsible pet owner. I don't feel the need to defend myself to you as you have already displayed a clear disdain for cats and their owners but I would be interested to hear why you think "this is irresponsible".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chief wrote: »
    It isn't 'irresponsible' in the least.
    I would suggest you are getting your knickers in a twist over something very trivial.

Despite what you might try to imply, I am a responsible pet owner. I don't feel the need to defend myself to you as you have already displayed a clear disdain for cats and their owners but I would be interested to hear why you think "this is irresponsible".

So how would you like it if i had a cat and it shat all over your property, ripped your rubbish bags open and terrorised your other pets? Sometimes it can help to see the issue through the eyes of others and without blinkers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i have cats, cant say im a lover of all cats and yes their are some bloody dirty little gits that dont bury it and leave their mark which i cant stand, but i dont for one minute blame their owners and think they should keep them inside, i just deter cats from coming in MY garden. I dont see how anyone can follow a pet around that runs fast, can jump fences and pounce from tree to tree its ludicrous thinking anyone can keep track of them. Responsible cat owners neuter/spay their cats, feed them, pet them and give them loving homes. Its always been said a cat treats the home like a hotel and can be quite a selfish animal, but it depends on the cat and their personality and no owners to blame for that. My two are chalk and cheese, but neither crap on my lawn they bury it, ive seen them do it cause id go ballistic if it was on my grass !
    perhaps we should block up all dogs backsides when out walking cause theirs 1000s of owners that still dont scoop the poop.
    No doubt the government will step in and provide us with another wonderful law, caging cats indoors and fining if they are out and about. perhaps we should close all zoos too as there just as cruel caging up animals that should be free to roam in their natural habitats.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the problem is that there are so many of them, in a concentrated area (in towns, anyway) so of course they are going to try to establish a territory by weeing & pooing, which is natural to them. It seems to me though that this is as unfair on the cats as the neighbours - the poor cat never gets a territory!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glamfan wrote: »
    I think a lot of the problem is that there are so many of them, in a concentrated area (in towns, anyway) so of course they are going to try to establish a territory by weeing & pooing, which is natural to them. It seems to me though that this is as unfair on the cats as the neighbours - the poor cat never gets a territory!

i know, i think ferral cats can be quite frightening :eek:

like i said all should be spayed and neutered but some people would rather let their males keep their bits just out of male pride its ridiculous ! and before anyone jumps on that im referring to conversations ive had with men about getting their cats neutered and they firmly shook their heads and answered "No Way" stupid men :D Its the cats having the op not youuuuuuu !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So how would you like it if i had a cat and it shat all over your property, ripped your rubbish bags open and terrorised your other pets? Sometimes it can help to see the issue through the eyes of others and without blinkers.
    I agree, so perhaps you would like to take yours off.

My cats do not shit all over other people's property, rip open their bins or terrorise their pets. You are generalising and exaggerating with no proof to back it up.

To be honest, the things you listed sound more like dog behaviour to me. We have a local dog which roams around scaring the cats and ripping open bin bags.
    Loulaa wrote: »
    and before anyone jumps on that im referring to conversations ive had with men about getting their cats neutered and they firmly shook their heads and answered "No Way" stupid men :D Its the cats having the op not youuuuuuu !
    I'm a man and I'd never have an un-neutered cat (unless I was a breeder, of course). Keeping un-neutered cats and dogs is a real sign of irresponsible ownership - rather than the silly trivialities and fabrications that others have come up with.
    I've heard people argue about it being unfair to neuter them before but it's not just a man issue. Either way it's nonsense. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    I agree, but its a wee bit different in that you have no idea when a dog might start barking- all you can do is calm it down to shut it up. Cat owners DO have the ability to keep their pets indoors so they dont shit on/ destroy other peoples property/ gardens.

You're trivialising what is a serious and distressing problem for many people. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs barking. I'm not talking about one bark, but loud barking that goes on for hours on end, day after day, month after month.

There are many irresponsible dog owners who should not have dogs in the first place. They either neglect the animal, ignore its barks, leave it out in the cold, or go out and leave the dog on its own for hours on end. So it's no surprise the dog will not stop barking. This is an all too common problem.

These owners should not have dogs if they cannot give them a suitable home or meet their needs. I, as a neighbour, should not have to put up with a dog barking for hours on end.

And as suggested by another poster, why should I have to fork out for a sonic evice that may never work.

I would rather have the whole neighbourhood's cats inmy garden rather than put up with a continuous noise that is destroying my peace.
  • Options
    louiselplouiselp Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Hi

I have two cats - I love them - but i have always had cats - they are part of my family - not in a stupid way - they are alot of comfort when it is needed and a good friend to my little 3 year old too.

I also have a car, a garden and a property - and stock in my garage and everything else you have too.... My car gets pelted with bird poo constantly - should I shoot all the birds?

My car gets pelted by tree sap from the trees (we have lots of trees near us) should I ask for the trees to be chopped down?

I even have seen a mount-jack deer in our garden (yes I was surprised too!!! we have a small garden!!) and he left a deposit... should I arrange for his dissappearance too? no... also the squirrels, the woodpigeon, the magpies the jay! (he was pretty) and all the bugs and insects that eat my plants - should I arrange for them to be disposed of too? no..

Please leave the cats alone - they are only being cats.... get a kitten.... lol - and you will soon realise why cat owners love them so much - yes - my two can act like teenagers too - but they also give so much more... - try it yourself... get a kitten... and then maybe you will understand...

best wishes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chief wrote: »
    I agree, so perhaps you would like to take yours off.

My cats do not shit all over other people's property, rip open their bins or terrorise their pets. You are generalising and exaggerating with no proof to back it up.To be honest, the things you listed sound more like dog behaviour to me. We have a local dog which roams around scaring the cats and ripping open bin bags.

I'm a man and I'd never have an un-neutered cat (unless I was a breeder, of course). Keeping un-neutered cats and dogs is a real sign of irresponsible ownership - rather than the silly trivialities and fabrications that others have come up with.
    I've heard people argue about it being unfair to neuter them before but it's not just a man issue. Either way it's nonsense. ;)

How do you know? You let them roam free so you have no idea what they get up to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cherryfunk wrote: »
    You're trivialising what is a serious and distressing problem for many people. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs barking. I'm not talking about one bark, but loud barking that goes on for hours on end, day after day, month after month.

There are many irresponsible dog owners who should not have dogs in the first place. They either neglect the animal, ignore its barks, leave it out in the cold, or go out and leave the dog on its own for hours on end. So it's no surprise the dog will not stop barking. This is an all too common problem.

These owners should not have dogs if they cannot give them a suitable home or meet their needs. I, as a neighbour, should not have to put up with a dog barking for hours on end.

And as suggested by another poster, why should I have to fork out for a sonic evice that may never work.

I would rather have the whole neighbourhood's cats inmy garden rather than put up with a continuous noise that is destroying my peace.

i agree with all in bold

edit- something up with the quotey things- i agree with the first bit i have quoted of your post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I got a cat myself though, I'd be making the problem worse, not better..... and annoying the neighbours into the bargain!

I'm not saying cats are bad, or that you don't love them - but it helps to see it from the other side, I'll try to view cats with a little more tolerance..... I think the fish are big enough now not to interest a cat, anyway! Except for a tiger perhaps......:eek:
  • Options
    louiselplouiselp Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    :)

(I'll now look out for the prowling fish-catching tiger on the BBC news...) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    louiselp wrote: »
    :)

(I'll now look out for the prowling fish-catching tiger on the BBC news...) :)
    :D It will be wet - I've got a bucket of water ready to throw at it!
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats are outdoor creatures. It is possible to keep them in but some are so naughty and rambunctious that you have to give them the option of the outside as having a cat climb all over your banisters and up your curtains or knock your Christmas tree over is not a good practice either.

So as long as their in your neighbours creating hell and not in your home that makes it ok?

And as for cats being outdoor creatures then why keep them as pets? dogs are outdoor creatures so a rabbits....

The list can and does go on!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Most cat owners I've met - or spoken to on here - seem to be really nice people. I'm not having a go at them - but I really don't understand how they think it's OK to treat their neighbours like this?

In our last house, the garden was unusable because of the number of cats pooing in it. I had to buy an ultrasonic animal repellant, which of course also kept birds away.

When we started our own business, we had to keep our stock under the car port - we couldn't afford a factory unit for a year or so. All the local cats weed on our stuff, so customers could always tell which stock was ours - it stank!

We keep fish, and have lost 3 to local cats. Would the cat owners be as happy if I were to kill their pets? We also have a rabbit, who likes to run free in the garden - we have to watch over her to make sure a cat doesn't kill her.

We have had food stolen from our dining table by a cat - I saw it in action.

I don't dislike cats - but I've had to tell the kids not to stroke them, as they will never leave our garden if encouraged.

My car bonnet used to be covered in scratches, where the cats had sat on it and dug in their claws, and where they climbed on and off. I have a different car now, with a sloping bonnet.

Surely if, as cat owners say, it's cruel to keep a cat inside - then it's not a suitable pet?

And please don't say 'it only poos in my garden' - do you follow your cat everywhere? I think not.

How can perfectly reasonable people have such a huge blind spot? :confused:

Can't you cover your pond? You say you have kids.. how old are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't you cover your pond? You say you have kids.. how old are they?

They are 7 and 4 - the pond is raised about 2 feet above ground level, so it's kid (and heron) proof. I think the fish are safe now though, as I said earlier - the fish have grown quite big.

I think we'll just have to buy fish of a larger size rather than grow them from small ones, and risk them being eaten!
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is,

Cats are wild animals - they roam where they like, you cant really stop them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you know? You let them roam free so you have no idea what they get up to.
    I do know where I live though, as would you if you actually read my posts instead of making your own assumptions to suit your agenda.

As I say, it's all very well you telling me about blinkers .etc but when you yourself are very clearly prejudiced, its difficult to take you seriously.

Posters in this thread are being extremely silly and petty.
    Letting your cat outside does not make you "irresponsible", it is allowing the cat to "exhibit normal behaviour patterns" - which the aforementioned Animal Welfare Act 2006 says you should do.

However, catching someone's pet in the full knowledge that it belongs to someone, removing the collar and handing it in as a stray is very immoral and probably illegal.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Its called domestication.

The fact is if you own a cat you are responsible for it and you shouldnt expect others to have to fork out for whatever devices are needed to keep a cat of their property. Keep your cat in doors. The instinct argument is also hollow- if your pet is trained there will be no problems.

Cat owners need to take responsiblity for thier pets.

Well, its not a fact is it?

The cat's 'role' in society has been established for hundreds of years. They even hold a unique place in (human) law. The evolution and nature of the animal (they were self-domesticating) defines them as roaming creatures. there are always cats out and about, because thats the type of animal - and pet - that they are.

Its not going to change because you and all the other prissy haters get worked up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    But that's your choice, your cat. I don't choose to have my fish killed - I have no choice in the matter.

But that IS what cats do. Unless you're suggesting everyone in the country stops keeping them, and we shoot the existing ones on sight, then cats will continue to view fish in people's ponds as prey and attempt to kill them. Just put a net over yours like my Grandma has done, it's no biggie.
    I am getting a kitten tonight - a stray that my friend has taken in, she thinks it's about 10 weeks and isn't sure of the sex yet - and I am VERY excited. I hope it will keep the squirrels out of my garden as they're the real pests as far as I am concerned - they ate half my tomato crop while I was away on holiday. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I'd like to know is, where are all these bloody bin bags that cats are ripping open? In my neighbourhood, everyone puts their rubbish in a bin - the council provide them.

Or do people just like to have something to moan about?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most cat owners I've met - or spoken to on here - seem to be really nice people. I'm not having a go at them - but I really don't understand how they think it's OK to treat their neighbours like this?

In our last house, the garden was unusable because of the number of cats pooing in it. I had to buy an ultrasonic animal repellant, which of course also kept birds away.

When we started our own business, we had to keep our stock under the car port - we couldn't afford a factory unit for a year or so. All the local cats weed on our stuff, so customers could always tell which stock was ours - it stank!

We keep fish, and have lost 3 to local cats. Would the cat owners be as happy if I were to kill their pets? We also have a rabbit, who likes to run free in the garden - we have to watch over her to make sure a cat doesn't kill her.

We have had food stolen from our dining table by a cat - I saw it in action.

I don't dislike cats - but I've had to tell the kids not to stroke them, as they will never leave our garden if encouraged.

My car bonnet used to be covered in scratches, where the cats had sat on it and dug in their claws, and where they climbed on and off. I have a different car now, with a sloping bonnet.

Surely if, as cat owners say, it's cruel to keep a cat inside - then it's not a suitable pet?

And please don't say 'it only poos in my garden' - do you follow your cat everywhere? I think not.

How can perfectly reasonable people have such a huge blind spot? :confused:

I've said it in other threads and I'll say it here.

My cat and indeed my Mum's cat were both allowed out they both however had litter trays (my Mum's cat until the age of 18), which they come inside to use.... That is how they were trained.

OP sounds like you had a problem with feral cats??? I've never known any cat to scratch a car bonnet before :eek:
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Delilahcat wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is, where are all these bloody bin bags that cats are ripping open? In my neighbourhood, everyone puts their rubbish in a bin - the council provide them.

Good point. Surely this country is Wheelie Bin nirvana now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    Delilahcat wrote: »

I've seen foxes ripping into bin bags actually but never cats. (There aren't many wheely bins round my way, the council collects the rubbish every day).
This discussion has been closed.