Lip Syncing - Controversial More...Years Ago Or Today?

Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey everyone,

I have been talking about this with some people for ages now and have realised something.

If you look at performances of famous popstars years ago, mostly everyone has lip synced, particularly on top of the pops.

Even one of my favourite performances ever which was the Spice Girls at the Brits.

So why is it, nowadays it is frowned upon so much. Michael Jackson was even known for doing it often BUT at the time, no one gave a s**t?

Quote from Ian Inglis, author of Performance and Popular Music: History, Place and Time (2006) notes the fact that "Jackson lip-synced 'Billie Jean' is, in itself, not extraordinary, but the fact that it did not change the impact of the performance is extraordinary; whether the performance was live or lip-synced made no difference to the audience.

Britney Spears is also well known for doing it too, even though i believe she is a fantastic performer, she does however lip sync. When i went to her concert in 2004 and i went to her recent one in 2009.

There was a HUGE difference to the reaction when people witnessed her lip sync.

I think the public expect so much more nowadays then years ago. Not saying whether thats wrong or right, just basing it on everyones reactions from years ago to today.

If Cheryl Cole came out in the 90's, no one would have butted an eyelid on her lip syncing.

So my question is : is it more controversial now or years ago?

Comments

• Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think it depends on the circumstance. If Cheryl Cole or Justin Bieber want to mime on their guest slot on The X Factor then I don't see what the big deal is.

It does however really bother me when I see people paying £60/£70 to go and see a Britney Spears concert, and she can't make the effort to actually sing live. I don't see how anyone can justify that - I don't understand why anyone would pay good money to see a singer prance around stage for an hour to a backing track.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    It is definitely more controversial now. Whenever you go on youtube to see an artist perform, there is always comments whether they are miming or not. People are more harsh on Cheryl because shes a judge on a talent show , however you don't need to be a singer to judge if someone is crap, we all do it!

I'd rather go to a concert and have the artist mime than go to a concert where the artist is out of breath and all I'm hearing is heavy breathing. Of course, my favs don't need to do this as they are capable of both dancing and singing fully live:)
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just a discrace to lip-sync when your a singer.

The odd performance is not so bad tbh, like every year or few years but to mime on tour/ on a talent show/ or mime anywhere frequently and consquetively is just WRONG.

If they can't do a simple thing like sing then people like Cheryl Cole and Justin Beiber then they should consider a career change.

Britney is just becoming a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just a discrace to lip-sync when your a singer.

The odd performance is not so bad tbh, like every year or few years but to mime on tour/ on a talent show/ or mime anywhere frequently and consquetively is just WRONG.

If they can't do a simple thing like sing then people like Cheryl Cole and Justin Beiber then they should consider a career change.

Britney is just becoming a joke.

Exactly - you might as well just watch the music videos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    It is definitely more controversial now. Whenever you go on youtube to see an artist perform, there is always comments whether they are miming or not. People are more harsh on Cheryl because shes a judge on a talent show , however you don't need to be a singer to judge if someone is crap, we all do it!

I'd rather go to a concert and have the artist mime than go to a concert where the artist is out of breath and all I'm hearing is heavy breathing. Of course, my favs don't need to do this as they are capable of both dancing and singing fully live:)

I find that viewpoint really confusing see. If I were paying to see someone famous dance, I'd go see a professional dance couple perform. :p
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, as they are singers (Cheryl, Britney, Bieber etc.) they should focus on singing. Elaborate dance routines should not be a priority if they can't sing whilst doing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    In my opinion, as they are singers (Cheryl, Britney, Bieber etc.) they should focus on singing. Elaborate dance routines should not be a priority if they can't sing whilst doing them.

Spot on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    the reason there is more fuss about it these days is because of the internet. 30 years ago few people had access to it the way the majority have now, and it's far easier to voice opinions to a larger number of people, worlswide.

Having said that, I have agree with a few ccomments on here. If you can't sing and dance, sing first and leave the dancing to the dancers.

This current trend of having loads of dancers in stage and putting on a "show" is only to hide the shortcomings of the singer and the songs
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    If they're the ones that are paying for their performance then yeah, they can mine. That's cool and all.

But when people pay to see them (tour or something like that) then they should sing live. Tut tut.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    It depends on the show for me.:)

When I go to see Britney, I'm looking for entertainment, a proper show, a big production and lots of perfect plastic pop.

But if I go to see The White Stripes, less is more, there's more interaction, more talent, and it's all about the songs and atmosphere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Ellen Degeneres once said; 'when your title is singer, you should sing.' I don't really think it matters whether the miming is today or years ago it shouldn't be accepted. I don't mind the odd TV show maybe when people haven't paid money to see you specifically but when it is a live show (which these days are costing £50,£60,£70 for tickets) then when you are claiming to be 'live' you should be just that, in both performance and singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the show for me.:)

When I go to see Britney, I'm looking for entertainment, a proper show, a big production and lots of perfect plastic pop.

But if I go to see The White Stripes, less is more, there's more interaction, more talent, and it's all about the songs and atmosphere.

Its a bit of a cop out if a singer does not sing, weather they are doing an acoustic set or a full on performance. Kylie (Who dosen't overdo the dancing) can do iT, GaGa can do it (Very well). Why can't Britney. ?

I went to her last tour and it just felt like it was Britney day on 4music.

And the dancing was pretty limited, she could easily have sung but didn't. Why laziness, shyness, no talent in the singing department. :)
    Forum Member
    I don't know why Britney doesn't sing. I think it's one of those things that has changed since she came back. Sure, she did lip-sync before, but not to the same extent. I think there's still a lot of mystery surrounding the break down, and her management do every thing to keep it that way. They like pushing the buttons now, and they don't want to lose control again, and let anyone like Sam Lutfi or Adnan Ghalib back into her life, or let her start using again. But they need to find a balance between a stifling conservatorship and losing control again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why Britney doesn't sing. I think it's one of those things that has changed since she came back. Sure, she did lip-sync before, but not to the same extent. I think there's still a lot of mystery surrounding the break down, and her management do every thing to keep it that way. They like pushing the buttons now, and they don't want to lose control again, and let anyone like Sam Lutfi or Adnan Ghalib back into her life, or let her start using again. But they need to find a balance between a stifling conservatorship and losing control again.

Hmmm, the sooner she sings live, the sooner people will lay of her. Thats what she and her management need to understand. Atm she is acting very unprofessionally.
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone wants to, or will, lay off Britney.

She's too easy a target now.:(
    Forum Member

At least she used to sing live rather than mime, she's proved she can sing unlike the new "stars" who mime their way through everything they do because they have absolutely no talent.

Kudos for her, but not too many.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it would defiantly help, ALOT.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    At least she used to sing live rather than mime, she's proved she can sing unlike the new "stars" who mime their way through everything they do because they have absolutely no talent.

Cheryl Cole.
    Forum Member

That's something I always use in her defence, that she can actually carry a tune.

She's a much better singer than *shudders* Katy Perry.
    Forum Member
    Well it would defiantly help, ALOT.

Cheryl Cole.
    That's something I always use in her defence, that she can actually carry a tune.

She's a much better singer than *shudders* Katy Perry.

All you need is a pretty face to be famous nowadays. :(
    Forum Member
    All you need is a pretty face to be famous nowadays. :(

That's been happening for years now, darling.;)

And I thought you were only 14!?:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    People like Katy Perry should be the ones who are miming, they really can't sing.

But, she best be singing when I see her live in April or I will burn the arena down.
    Forum Member
    That's been happening for years now, darling.;)

And I thought you were only 14!?:D:D:D

I don't understand how my age comes into this.
    Forum Member
    Your age comes into it because of the forlorn and troubled way you examined popular culture in comparison to the past.

People tend to view the past with rose-tinted spectacles, as some posters on these forums have shown me in amazing fashion.
    Forum Member
    Your age comes into it because of the forlorn and troubled way you examined popular culture in comparison to the past.

People tend to view the past with rose-tinted spectacles, as some posters on these forums have shown me in amazing fashion.

Excuse me?
    Forum Member
    Excuse me?

Is the sound of a Lady GaGa record distracting you?