Options

Yet another hopeless BBC 'Comedy' in Father Figure!

Comments

• Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught the end of this, is there a competition going on to come up with the most puerile comedy ever made ? If so, this must be a contender.
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Mrs Doyle was on This Morning singing this programme's praises about how it was..... Thinking it would be on a par with Father Ted, I put it on.....

Spent the next five minutes trying not to stab pointy things in my eyes to lessen the pain... It was TTT truly tragic telly! :eek::eek::yawn:
  • Options
    ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst thing I've ever seen on TV
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught the end after Wentworth, where he chased his mother down the stairs and blocked the kitchen up, to stop her getting in to look at the dinner, but she bust through the door ala Jack Nicholson, 'Heres Mammy'

Thought wtf is this aboslute and utter sh!te, looks terrible :p
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You missed the 'best bit' Grouty where the younger son smeared himself in chocolate spread and said it was 'pooh',he was speaking for us all.:(:rolleyes:
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs Doyle was on This Morning singing this programme's praises about how it was..... Thinking it would be on a par with Father Ted, I put it on.....

Spent the next five minutes trying not to stab pointy things in my eyes to lessen the pain... It was TTT truly tragic telly! :eek::eek::yawn:

'Father Ted' is overrated unfunny tosh imo but 'FF' is in a 'class' of its own.:sleep:
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    It's up there with Laura and Disorder, Mad About Alice and Oh Doctor Beeching as the biggest pile of sludge I've seen in the "comedy" genre
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know of any sitcom or drama where fathers are seen in a positive light.

I was thinking the same thing about teachers in sitcoms.

I think the reason is that if you have the father/teacher being sensible and in control there is no comedy.

Child does something wrong and father puts it right /explains: boring.

Father cocks up and child puts it right/explains: hilarity ensues.

I don't agree that fathers are always shown in a bad light in drama - although, again, if they are getting everything right all the time there is not going to be much of a story - at least as far as their character is concerned.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    It's up there with Laura and Disorder, Mad About Alice and Oh Doctor Beeching as the biggest pile of sludge I've seen in the "comedy" genre

"The House That Jack Built" looked like a high brow Bafta winner compared to Father Figure.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a good article and insight into why BBC comedy is so terrible,

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/jun/30/tv-commissioning-sitcoms
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    A mate of mine got tickets to a couple of recordings of this show, after he went to the first one, he said he wasn't going to any more as it was rubbish, he did ask if I wanted to go along to the first one as he had spare tickets, but luckily I was busy, haven't seen it on TV for obvious reasons.....
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »

"Oh Doctor Beeching" is hilarious. I have worn the discs out I have watched it so often.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched the first 10 minutes...I was going to try and watch it all but the comments on here clearly mean that it didn't get any better.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    You missed the 'best bit' Grouty where the younger son smeared himself in chocolate spread and said it was 'pooh',he was speaking for us all.:(:rolleyes:

Oh bugger :(

:D
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abysmal, the key word here.
  • Options
    PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted this to be a success, because we know the youngest son from the gym club he and his sisters used to belong to.

However this was, probably, the worst show ever to be shown on BBC1. In fact I omitted the word comedy because after about 20 mins my wife turned to me and said "have you even smiled yet?"

The word phrase "Human Poo" that young Alex kept saying summed it up.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We recorded this (for some unfathomable reason) and I have to say it is the worst so-called comedy I have ever seen. There was not one redeeming feature - the stuff with the neighbours was pitiful.... but then again everything was pitiful.

In case anyone's thinking that it might have been OK if you'd downed a bottle of wine - well, I had and it wasn't. :eek:
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but somebody at the BBC should lose their job for this. How much money would have been wasted commissioning this? £100k?

I'm assuming they had a fair idea that it was crap but putting it on at 10.30 on a Wednesday night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but somebody at the BBC should lose their job for this. How much money would have been wasted commissioning this? £100k?

I'm assuming they had a fair idea that it was crap but putting it on at 10.30 on a Wednesday night.

I suppose they were trying to hide it but even so - surely at no stage did anyone think it was remotely good? Or even acceptable.

Everything about it was bad - the writing, the acting, the laughter track.
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched about 3 minutes of it as I had heard Mrs Doyle plugging it on Loose Ends last Saturday and still had it on after the news.

OMFG, what a pile of carp!
    How can people produce this sort of thing and think it's funny?!
    I had forgotten who Jason Byrne was before watching this, but when I realised, it was definitely time to turn off.

Jason Byrne: Just stop it! You aren't funny, and you never will be. Give up!
    Writers of this "comedy": Just stop it, too. Go and join Ben Elton on an island somewhere, and stop polluting the airwaves.
    Pauline McLynn: You are worth more than this garbage. Be a bit more discerning next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the ratings report on this site, it claims:

"New comedy Father Figure amused 1.37m (11.5%) at 10.35pm."

While 1.37m may have watched, I doubt many of them were amused.....
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the ratings report on this site, it claims:

"New comedy Father Figure amused 1.37m (11.5%) at 10.35pm."

While 1.37m may have watched, I doubt many of them were amused.....

Haha!
    Now that's funnier than the sum total of Jason Byrne's career!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good article and insight into why BBC comedy is so terrible,

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/jun/30/tv-commissioning-sitcoms

I can quite believe that, what the hell is a "Comedy Executive" anyway ? Probably some pimply kid straight out of university with a degree of some kind in Media Studies.
    If you leave the commissioning of comedy at the mercy of these faceless suits, this is the drivel they will come up with.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I watched episode 1 of The Wright Way purely out of morbid curiosity, knowing it would be bad.

I dont think I need go near this one..or do I?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Due to the complete negativity in this thread I had to see it. I lasted until he put the tin of beans on the barbecue.

Why is the BBC paying for this Irish sh*te?