Billboard Awards: R&B/Rap Winners - White Only

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the first time music created by black musicians were won ONLY by White artist :(

I for one find this personally disturbing, I mean JT album was great but really best R&B album!!!!! and one hit wonder Thicke 3 awards!!!!! >:(

throw in the lack of black performers on the night and Donald Sterling would be right at home :confused:

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't take it seriously. Beyonce was up for 7 awards and it was obvious that they planned to have her as the big winner of the night. She didn't attend though, so they obviously chnaged things last minute as it would have looked a bit crap if they had to show video messages for every signle award she won.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Who do you think should've won instead?
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're reading FAR too much into this - looking at the other nominees, and with the exception of MAYBE Beyonce, JT probably should have won every award he did. (for Best R&B - Rihanna hasn't had anything out in ages, and Beyonce has only been 'around' for the past 6 months with her new album in comparison to the 20/20 experience)
    Eminem winning - again, probably because he had a MASSIVE success with his last album not because he was white.
    and like him or not, Robin Thicke had one of the biggest hits of the year with Blurred Lines and considering it's Billboard, they can't ignore their own charts and figures.

I do think Beyonce should have won at least something, but maybe the politics with what happened at the met gala, and her not attending made them rethink the winners? I dunno...
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's great that white artists are finally breaking through in areas previously dominated by black artists. It's a bit worrying that in 2014, people still can't accept that white rap/ r 'n b artists are every bit as valid and talented as black artists and find it 'disturbing'. Still a lot of work to be done until they have true equality it seems. :(
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock also originated from black music, but you have no complaints about that category?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickyjune wrote: »
    For the first time music created by black musicians were won ONLY by White artist :(

I for one find this personally disturbing, I mean JT album was great but really best R&B album!!!!! and one hit wonder Thicke 3 awards!!!!! >:(

throw in the lack of black performers on the night and Donald Sterling would be right at home :confused:

Anyone else find this racist?
  • Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a joke Beyonce was up for 7 awards and didn't even win one they probably decided to snub her after she didn't turn up and she was rumoured to be peforming as well but didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else find this racist?

How is it?! Just because all the winners are white, doesn't mean that it's racist. What do you epxect them to do, throw in a couple of winners who are black to try and even it out so that there's winners of different races even if the music isn't good?!! It's not racist at all. However, I do think Beyonce probably p***** them off...they gave her the Billboard Millenium Award back in 20111 and devoted a large portion of that years show to her...she's always been a Billboard darling!! They gave her 7 nominations this year and I suspect they planned to make it all about her, with her winning most of her awards...yet when she failed to even turn up I suspect they decided to change things...which is why she won none! Agin though, that's nothing to do with racism.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it?! Just because all the winners are white, doesn't mean that it's racist. What do you epxect them to do, throw in a couple of winners who are black to try and even it out so that there's winners of different races even if the music isn't good?!! It's not racist at all. However, I do think Beyonce probably p***** them off...they gave her the Billboard Millenium Award back in 20111 and devoted a large portion of that years show to her...she's always been a Billboard darling!! They gave her 7 nominations this year and I suspect they planned to make it all about her, with her winning most of her awards...yet when she failed to even turn up I suspect they decided to change things...which is why she won none! Agin though, that's nothing to do with racism.
    I could be wrong, but I suspect CerealKiller was referring to the actual comments he quoted, not the awards themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I suspect CerealKiller was referring to the actual comments he quoted, not the awards themselves.

Yes.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Woops, you're right! Sorry! :blush:
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet the M.O.B.O.s celebrate 'Music Of BLACK Origin'.

It's 2014, scrap that name as colour is not relevant where musical origins are concerned.

Who gives a fork !!? :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I think it's great that white artists are finally breaking through in areas previously dominated by black artists. It's a bit worrying that in 2014, people still can't accept that white rap/ r 'n b artists are every bit as valid and talented as black artists and find it 'disturbing'. Still a lot of work to be done until they have true equality it seems. :(
    Is this serious?