Options

Embarassed to go to things alone

topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have to go to London for something but it's ended up I'm staying for 3 days ( 3 for 2 at hotel)

Now the date is getting closer I feel nervous about going to a few things on my own. I know I shouldn't care what people think but, well, I do:D

So would you do the following things alone:

Exhibition at Alexandra Palace
London eye
Harry Potter tour (is that weird? woman on own with no kids)

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not weird to be anxious, and equally, it's not necessary to worry. London is a self-absorbed environment and no-one will bat an eye at solo visitors.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all weird to do some sight-seeing on your own, don't fret. :)

I never heard of a Harry Potter tour, I bet that'll be fun! I love HP books/movies. I did a Jack the Ripper tour when I went to London a couple of years ago, it was pretty good.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I love going to London on my own. Don't worry about it, no one will notice. Have fun
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it's more annoying eating at restaurants on your own. They don't serve you any quicker and the time between courses, or them bringing the bill can seem like forever when you are sat with nobody to talk to and just want to get out.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I find it's more annoying eating at restaurants on your own. They don't serve you any quicker and the time between courses, or them bringing the bill can seem like forever when you are sat with nobody to talk to and just want to get out.

yes, take a book/paper/kindle.

i prefer to go places on my own, it`s not weird and people often strike up conversation, if that`s what you like.
  • Options
    bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I often do things by myself. In fact I would have prefered to do the Harry Potter tour alone, the people I went with wanted to rush through and I was quite happy to take my time.
    I take my kindle and headphones and happily potter along by myself fairly often.
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »

Harry Potter tour

I`ll come.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital cities are great to explore on your own. I've done the London Eye by myself before now.

Enjoy :D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    I have to go to London for something but it's ended up I'm staying for 3 days ( 3 for 2 at hotel)

Now the date is getting closer I feel nervous about going to a few things on my own. I know I shouldn't care what people think but, well, I do:D

So would you do the following things alone:

Exhibition at Alexandra Palace
    London eye
    Harry Potter tour (is that weird? woman on own with no kids)

I know people that have left their kids to go on the HP tour :D

Honestly I don't think doing anything in London on your own is weird, in-fact it's probably a blessing as you can do what you want, when you want.

If you find having a full on meal on your own weird then go to somewhere more geared towards quick eats - there are loads of posh burger bars (IE "Byrons") and pizza places where you wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

I'd actually love a weekend to myself to have a good old explore - and I live here :D

If you are doing the London Eye and the weather is nice, have a wonder along the South Bank and even pop into the Tate Modern.

Plenty to do and it's probably all better if you are on your own!
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of people go through life alone

.. and it is eating in restaurants that is hardest

All of those (and a pint in a pub even) are easy in today's age
  • Options
    andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    Im going to london on my own in a few weeks. It's not so much feeling anxious anout doing things and going places alone it's more me being anxious about just being there on my own.

I've never been on my own before and infact only been there a couple of time at all, and that was with other people who knew the city and i just followed around! Even those visits were for a few hours. so im just generally a bit worried about having to find my way around this big city on my own, especially at night! Ive never used the tube even and will have to when i go...
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wander around London all the time alone - never been mugged or had anything really bad happen.

Try and look confident and not lost even if you are alone at night

Tube is easy - just don't jump on the first one because you're in a hurry - it'll take you in the wrong direction - did that loads of times when I first came to London. Get an Oystercard (although I think you can use debit/credit cards on the tube now)
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on the Harry Potter Studio Tour in February on my own.

Left my daughter at home on cat sitting duty.

Really want to go again but I've been twice all ready lol.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I love going to London on my own. I actually get to do what I want to do rather than going to various attractions with friends/family that I have no interest in. No one pays any attention to who you're with and like others have said if you go somewhere more relaxed for food (I like places set out like Yo!Sushi cause you're not sat at a proper table) you don't feel such a loner.

You'll love the Harry Potter tour. People of all ages with and without kids. Just remember to take a bank loan out for the gift shop at the end. I've been twice and both times I set myself a budget and failed to stick with it.
  • Options
    hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I did the Harry Potter tour with my husband (no kids) and we had a great time, we split up at times in there so he could spend more time on bits he wanted to see and I could spend time on what I wanted to see.

Go on your own and you will enjoy it all the more without someone trying to rush you round things you want to see.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Visit the Wallace collection:

http://www.wallacecollection.org/
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, think I was just being silly :)
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do all the things you want! Please don't let being alone ever put you off doing things or you'll shrivel up and die. Cultivate an independent, woman-of-the-world demeanour and have fun!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Have fun, go out and explore!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    Loads of people go through life alone

.. and it is eating in restaurants that is hardest

All of those (and a pint in a pub even) are easy in today's age

Going to a fancy silver service restaurant by yourself might be a little odd but it's fine in a pub, noodle bar or fast food place and there will always be loads of people eating alone. In somewhere like a Wetherspoons or Wagamama nobody will care if you are by yourself. London gets so many solo business visitors that it's perfectly normal to see someone eating alone. Go for a curry, pizza or a Chinese. Nobody will care.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Just pretend to be a Tourettes sufferer and the bill will arrive in no time.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London is a marvellous city .....
    You get a good view from a boat...
    The clippers to Greenwich are good .. Gi from London eye or embankment ...
    And as they are "just" like a bus no one will think it strange.. Or you can get a tourist boat which explains everything ..

Enjoy it all

Btw the tfl tool Will help you plan journey https://www.tfl.gov.uk

And WALK. .. Or use bus to sightsee
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Going to a fancy silver service restaurant by yourself might be a little odd but it's fine in a pub, noodle bar or fast food place and there will always be loads of people eating alone. In somewhere like a Wetherspoons or Wagamama nobody will care if you are by yourself. London gets so many solo business visitors that it's perfectly normal to see someone eating alone. Go for a curry, pizza or a Chinese. Nobody will care.

and just take a notebook and pretend to jot things down, you'll get excellent service :)
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't look twice at someone alone who was sightseeing in fact I'd be a bit envious(I have two young kids, alone time is scarce) because I find if you go somewhere on your own sightseeing you can do everything you want to do without considering anyone else