Options

Flu Jab

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anywhere that's giving out the jabs this year? my doctors surgery are being right bastards and they know i have had it every year >:( been told that they are only being given a small amount of doses and only giving them to the 65's or over and no one else that has a condition.

I have a chest complaint and on 2 inhalers but yet the women at the surgery basically didn't give a **** and given to who i said above >:(

Comments

• Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I think some pharmacies give out flu jabs for free to people in the at risk groups.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can try paying. My friend gets a jab for £12 or so. About 3p a day if you have one annually.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £9 in Tesco, I go every year now because I CBA to argue with the Medusa receptionist at the surgery any more.

They also do them in Boots, Lloyds & Rainbow - if you google your town and where to get a flu jab, you should get a list of locations.
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £7 at Asda. Any more offers :D
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Anywhere that's giving out the jabs this year? my doctors surgery are being right bastards and they know i have had it every year >:( been told that they are only being given a small amount of doses and only giving them to the 65's or over and no one else that has a condition.

I have a chest complaint and on 2 inhalers but yet the women at the surgery basically didn't give a **** and given to who i said above >:(

I'm in for blood tests tomorrow, I'll be asking if I will be getting my usual jab....I have a heart condition. I usually have an invitation by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £7 at Asda. Any more offers :D
    LOL!

Waj, they should have contacted you by now - it's possible they've decided not to include you any more. The cutting back on eligible criteria for the jab is noticeable, year on year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=
    Waj, they should have contacted you by now - it's possible they've decided not to include you any more. The cutting back on eligible criteria for the jab is noticeable, year on year.[/QUOTE]

I'll find out tomorrow :)

I have a Cardiac Clinic appointment in November I'll ask there if the Docs won't let me have one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth a try - however I've asked at the diabetic clinic for my daughter (she wants the injection rather than the spray) and they have said they can't give the flu jab, but it may be different at your hospital - hope so, anyway! :)
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God the surgery down here has been running clinics for about 2 weeks now
    its been bloody mental with people. That sounds really iffy about "small" doses I wonder if they cocked up on the amount asked for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oathy, I think the surgeries are all getting less vaccines each year. When OH & I were first together (we've been together 19 years now) we used to both get letters offering us the vaccine, although neither of us have any clinical conditions. I don't remember when the letters stopped, perhaps 10 years or so ago. When Mini Deb was first diagnosed with diabetes - 4 years ago - I was told I was eligible for the vaccine (as her primary carer), so I had one that year; one year later, I was refused it by the receptionist - however the nurse giving the vaccines gave me the jab anyway; 2 years ago I was refused again, and I've been going to Tesco for the jab since.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my letter to have it. I dont have it though.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Oathy, I think the surgeries are all getting less vaccines each year. When OH & I were first together (we've been together 19 years now) we used to both get letters offering us the vaccine, although neither of us have any clinical conditions. I don't remember when the letters stopped, perhaps 10 years or so ago. When Mini Deb was first diagnosed with diabetes - 4 years ago - I was told I was eligible for the vaccine (as her primary carer), so I had one that year; one year later, I was refused it by the receptionist - however the nurse giving the vaccines gave me the jab anyway; 2 years ago I was refused again, and I've been going to Tesco for the jab since.

Wow we are lucky on that front here even people just seeing the doctor are being offered one :o

Yep still get the letters here owing to the Humira and asthma they either invite you to the clinic or 4 weeks later the nurses come around and do it in the house.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    Certain branches of Tesco, Boots and Sainsbury offer this service and I'd suggest doing a google search along the lines of flu jab nameofyourtown.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My doctor's surgery have been having weekly clinics for the flu jab since September and I have had mine. I thought the criteria was that it was given to over 65's, people with heart or chest problems, diabetics, people with low immune conditions or on certain theapies that lower the immune system, carers, nurses and doctors etc.

If you come into one of those sections then I don't see that they can refuse you. If the receptionist is being difficult about it, then make an appointment to see your doctor and tell him/her.

It is true that chemists will give the injection if you pay for it, but why should you have to pay when you are within your rights to have it done free.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is true that chemists will give the injection if you pay for it, but why should you have to pay when you are within your rights to have it done free.

That's fine. But if for any reason you can't get it done for free, why should someone, through obstinacy or principles, put their health at risk for the sake of saving £7, £9 or £12? Just pay for it, and fight to get it done for free the following year (and for a refund if the money is that important).
  • Options
    hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    My doctors have stopped sending out the reminder letters, there were signs up in the surgery when I went to collect a prescription. I noticed on-line (via Patient Access) that I could book the appointment for my flu jab so did it that way (no awkward questions from the receptionist that way).

It might be worth looking into if any of you are having problems with receptionists!!
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, which specific flu variant do you need protection against?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people who make the vaccine have to extrapolate from the current cases, so it's an educated guess each year - they have to try to predict which variant will be most common. It's not foolproof, but it's worth the try IMO!
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Oathy, I think the surgeries are all getting less vaccines each year.

Supplies of the flu vaccine are not limited (unless there is a shortage which is not the case this year.

Surgeries do have to order their supplies in advance, and any local shortages are generally due to the surgery having not ordered enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must just be our surgery then - they are guarded by a pitbull!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for my blood tests this morning and asked about the flu jab....I was told I could have it if I made an appointment with the Practice Nurse or wait for my Cardiac Clinic appointment.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the receptionist refused mine this year I just made a GP appointment and complained to him, quick smart I had mine done next day. Don't let the receptionist rule !
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up with the surgery, paid £9 at Sainsbury on Monday, didn't have to make an appointment, straight in, quick jab, job done. Worth every penny.
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's disgraceful >:( I've been having them for years & I'm under 65
    I suggest you go to a LLoyd's Pharmacy as they are offering them and put in a strong complaint to the Practice Manager as its probably down to her & that if you get flu you will take legal action and/or go the local papers
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    The local practice to me has stopped sending out letters - it's just such a waste of money when there is such widespread advertising an nanny-media content.

My parents are entitled to the free jab but choose to have it done in the local Boots branch - their view is that it's a small price to pay not to be in the same waiting room as Messrs Cough, Sneeze and Sniffle.