EE: Could Johnny Carter be Recast?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With Sam leaving after less than a year, could they recast the Character in a few years with a new head or even in 2015?

should he be recast?

Comments

• Al_StackAl_Stack Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    If they recast straight away, they could include him in all the inevitable fallouts after Chrimbo, within a couple of months he'll have had so much screen time that most people will have forgotten about Sam Strike (apart from me)
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring him back when Elaine joins full time.
  • jboy2k8jboy2k8 Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of him returning with Elaine. Just hope he doesn't get a rushed exit, and have him run off to Italy with the guy he only he knew for a few episodes. I wonder if he will be around for Stans death and the big fallout.
  • Stephen_101Stephen_101 Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I hope not! No definitely not!!!
    The character of Johnny Carter will forever be remembered for that coming out scene with Mick - and that was Sam Strike. To change actors would ruin that. I hate the way soaps recast - it doesn't work that often. Sam also has amazing chemistry with Kellie too - that cannot be replicated. Nobody will be able to replace Sam Strike. I'm holding out that maybe one day Sam will return.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jboy2k8 wrote: »
    I like the idea of him returning with Elaine. Just hope he doesn't get a rushed exit, and have him run off to Italy with the guy he only he knew for a few episodes. I wonder if he will be around for Stans death and the big fallout.

Sadly Johnny will be gone before Christmas probably to Italy with Luca and won't be around for Christmas day, the big fallout and Stan's death. I am sure there will some reason given as to why he won't return for Stan's funeral
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should absolutely be recast. Would be a shame to lose the character because the actor couldn't stick around for less than a year. Send him off for a few months and bring him back with a new head. it just won't really make sense if he doesn't show up now and again at least.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely his contract could've been extended for a few weeks/month just so he is involved in the Christmas fallout.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    Surely his contract could've been extended for a few weeks/month just so he is involved in the Christmas fallout.

It is more of an issue that it would make it impossible to write him out knowing Linda had been raped and he would have to stay for Stan's funeral. This way he leaves without knowing thinking that his parents are all happy expecting a new baby.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    The only good thing he's done has been the coming out scene, apart from that I haven't been overly impressed. As a character though Johnny has potential and is the more interesting out of the three siblings so I'd like a recast.
  • Al_StackAl_Stack Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    OK... so who would play NuJohnny then - any ideas?
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think a re cast would work with Johnny. I don't think the character has made that much of an impact TBH. I think that character needs to be involved in the aftermath of Lindas rape it wouldnt be realistic for him not to be. Recast and in a few weeks/months no one will know any different.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not! No definitely not!!!
    The character of Johnny Carter will forever be remembered for that coming out scene with Mick - and that was Sam Strike. To change actors would ruin that. I hate the way soaps recast - it doesn't work that often. Sam also has amazing chemistry with Kellie too - that cannot be replicated. Nobody will be able to replace Sam Strike. I'm holding out that maybe one day Sam will return.

Still believe that Sam has made a big mistake leaving after only a year. He should of stayed for a second then left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al_Stack wrote: »
    OK... so who would play NuJohnny then - any ideas?

What about Bobby Lockwood starring in the CBBC drama Wolfblood and just won the BBC TV reality show Tumble. The time is right for him to join a top BBC primtime drama like Eastenders
    http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32600000/bobby-bobby-lockwood-32604414-392-600.jpg
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs to be recast

Of course his sabbatical might not work out and we might find him back and looking for work
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, I like the character of Johnny, but the actor just doesn't do him justice.
  • Strawberry KickStrawberry Kick Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    What about Bobby Lockwood starring in the CBBC drama Wolfblood and just won the BBC TV reality show Tumble. The time is right for him to join a top BBC primtime drama like Eastenders
    http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32600000/bobby-bobby-lockwood-32604414-392-600.jpg
    Funny you should say that as Sam and Bobby are friends. They went to the same stage school in Essex!
    Forum Member
    No to Bobby Lockwood he doesn't fit into the family appearance-wise
    Forum Member

I don't mean this in the way it sounds but I don't think he's good looking enough to play Johnny. I don't mean that in the way it sounds - Johnny is known for being really good looking and full of a particular charm and everyone is aware of that. He doesn't have the same sort of charm.
    He needs to be recast

Of course his sabbatical might not work out and we might find him back and looking for work

I hope Sam has a great career but I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back to EE.
    Hopefully, I like the character of Johnny, but the actor just doesn't do him justice.

How? There has never been another Johnny to compare him against and in terms of acting and the material he has been given I think he's done an amazing job!
    :)
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Sam has no intention of returning to the role then yes, I do think Johnny should eventually be recast if the majority of the Carter actors are sticking around long term. I absolutely love Sam and will continue to support his career but I think it's safe to assume that EE wasn't for him, for whatever reason. Johnny as a character still has a lot of mileage and is a central part of the family, so maybe when a couple more leave then a recast would be possible.

In terms of casting, I was really impressed with Billy Howle in Glue recently, who played James. He had a lovely sensitivity and vulnerability about him and although the physical resemblance between him and Sam isn't really there (Billy looks a bit older and isn't typically 'pretty' in the way Sam is), if they were bringing Johnny back in a year or so I think he would be a good option.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/RhGXNnRZ5e0/0.jpg
    http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/_assets/uploads/cropped/32023-rectangle.jpg

Plus he plays a gay guy very convincingly :blush::

http://33.media.tumblr.com/67e5ba692c733b8b8f345437565953a0/tumblr_ndhpndnrAE1qe4nm9o2_r1_250.gif
    https://33.media.tumblr.com/286825aed4df8c1fd3266aa656d6b636/tumblr_ndg1avlK6h1rhmwa8o6_r1_250.gif
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he should be re cast straight away, the character is more important to the show than the actor unless you have a character like Ian or Dot who simply couldn't be played by anyone else, it worked when they recast Mark Fowler (although it was in tragically sad circumstances of course) and Todd Carty fitted right into the Fowler family as Mark so why not?
    Forum Member
    How? There has never been another Johnny to compare him against and in terms of acting and the material he has been given I think he's done an amazing job!
    :)

You don't need another actor to play a character to deduce that the actor is poor. I think he is very off-beat in his portrayal of Johnny and I don''t believe that he is a young gay teenager or even part of the family.
    Forum Member
    You don't need another actor to play a character to deduce that the actor is poor. I think he is very off-beat in his portrayal of Johnny and I don''t believe that he is a young gay teenager or even part of the family.

Really? each to their own I suppose.

I think he an amazing actor. I've believed every word he's said. I think he's got amazing chemistry with Kellie Bright. Their scenes together - specifically heated arguments have been amazing
    Forum Member
    Really? each to their own I suppose.

I think he an amazing actor. I've believed every word he's said. I think he's got amazing chemistry with Kellie Bright. Their scenes together - specifically heated arguments have been amazing

I agree that Sam Strike is a good actor as I've seen his work, but for me, there's a much better Johnny Carter out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Think He should leave. and return with a new head, but they need to make sure Sam doesn't want to return
  • AnthonyLAnthonyL Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Why wait? He should be recast immediately, if not a few months from now. I don't often think UK soaps should be like US ones but they should in terms of recasting quickly when necessary.