The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Why is there 5 episodes that week?

So much for people saying soaps should be protected, not moving slots and possibly airing less episodes until the quality becomes better. It seems the actual response is it air more episodes and to move them all around the schedule. And it is the BBC doing this not "knowing ITV..." like people kept suggesting.

they did the same thing at the beginning of this year, so nothing new here, it will be for a short period. eastenders is not going 5 days a week.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc1 don't need +1 channels. they don't need to prop up their ratings.

It's nothing to do with "propping up ratings." They would be providing a service which many find useful and it would allow ratings to be compared more evenly. If it starts at 9pm then that is a piss poor effort by the BBC and not worth shutting down BBC Three for. CBBC doesn't need extra hours either. It's going to be a nightmare on here with some episodes of shows having a plus 1 rating and some not. It'll annoy viewers as well who'll wonder why the BBC are only providing a half-hearted effort when other channels manage full plus 1 channels (I understand why the BBC can't have a 24 hour channel but it should start at 8pm at the very latest to take in all of the evening schedule).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Why not?

well don't most people have some sort of recording devise either from freeview, sky or virgin. it really is a waste of a channel and if the beeb faces cuts with the charter coming up, heres a saving for a start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well don't most people have some sort of recording devise either from freeview, sky or virgin. it really is a waste of a channel and if the beeb faces cuts with the charter coming up, heres a saving for a start.

Many find plus 1 channels useful in case of recording clashes.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Did we establish what ITV are showing on Thursdays at 9pm?

Yes, they're showing Bring Back Borstal.

Thankfully it turns out that The Kyle Files is 7.30pm filler against EastEnders.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

It will cost next to nothing but it is ratings we are talking about. The BBC is judged on ratings whetther we like it or not.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »

Although they wont be on BBC if the hours are so restricted. :)
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    It's nothing to do with "propping up ratings." They would be providing a service which many find useful and it would allow ratings to be compared more evenly. If it starts at 9pm then that is a piss poor effort by the BBC and not worth shutting down BBC Three for. CBBC doesn't need extra hours either. It's going to be a nightmare on here with some episodes of shows having a plus 1 rating and some not. It'll annoy viewers as well who'll wonder why the BBC are only providing a half-hearted effort when other channels manage full plus 1 channels (I understand why the BBC can't have a 24 hour channel but it should start at 8pm at the very latest to take in all of the evening schedule).

I agree with most of this, but they aren't shutting down BBC Three for it, the +1 channel is just making use of the space. They would be shutting down BBC Three regardless, to save money, +1 won't cost anywhere near as much. I rarely use +1 channels, but people have come to expect them now and some probably think they're losing out because BBC don't have one, so I can see why they need one, but if they going to do it they should do it properly, by at least showing all of primetime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as i have previously said do not most people have some sort of recording device? i know for some if you missed the start of a show you have a second chance to catch it an hour later without the hassle of recording the show, but can the bbc justify a +1 channel. on the question of ratings, it only matters to the channels, the advertisers and few on here.

the only thing i do agree with you on is the hap hazzard, arse way the beeb are going about it. you either have it, or you don't!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    It will cost next to nothing but it is ratings we are talking about. The BBC is judged on ratings whetther we like it or not.

i don't like it, but i have to admit you are right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

fair point, i have wanted to throw a brick at my sky+ box many a time. >:(
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dubsj wrote: »
    BBC ONE showing an FA Cup 3rd Round game on the Monday.
    Silent Witness going on Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Murder In Paradise - Thursday
    Score wrote: »
    Saturday 3rd January
    EastEnders airs 5 episodes: Tuesday at 7.30pm, Wednesday at 8.30pm, Thursday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm, Friday at 8pm. Would I Lie To You fills the gap at 8pm on Thursday. On Wednesday there's a Miranda repeat at 7.50pm (The One Show runs 7-7.50pm).

What a horrible schedule for Eastenders. The first week of January is typically the highest rating soap week of the year (barring special events). The BBC should be looking to get Eastenders as high as possible in the run-up to the big live episode in February not mucking it around from the get-go.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But it doesn't work in its 8pm slot anymore. Besides it is still being aired at 8pm, but against EastEnders on a different channel. Waterloo Road is crap. It no longer deserves to be given prime time on a main channel.

Airing their two young skewing soaps against each other also seems ridiculous if Waterloo Road stays in that slot for the full 10 weeks.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it take ITV nearly a week between recording The Millies and transmitting the programme ? Surely the value of any publicity in the papers is lost ?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    It occurred at Christmas in 2010, so they will have wanted to show it around Christmas, but not too close, which is basically now.

Brilliant performance by Jason Watkins, a big difference from his usual roles playing a comedy character on W1A and Trollied.

When Grantchester was announced a year ago, Watkins was set to play the vicar.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 42s42 seconds ago
    #TheApprentice was back on slot-winning form on BBC1 at 9pm, with 5.5m/24% watching a double elimination http://www.overnights.tv

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 12s12 seconds ago
    ITV drama #TheLostHonourOfChristopherJefferies at 9pm was watched by 3.1m/14.2%, and 253.5k/1.8 on +1 http://www.overnights.tv

I didn't watch The Lost Honour (recorded it to watch over the weekend) but I've been reading endless fantastic reviews. Shame it got a mediocre rating.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 42s42 seconds ago
    #TheApprentice was back on slot-winning form on BBC1 at 9pm, with 5.5m/24% watching a double elimination http://www.overnights.tv

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 12s12 seconds ago
    ITV drama #TheLostHonourOfChristopherJefferies at 9pm was watched by 3.1m/14.2%, and 253.5k/1.8 on +1 http://www.overnights.tv

I didn't watch The Lost Honour (recorded it to watch over the weekend) but I've been reading endless fantastic reviews. Shame it got a mediocre rating.

Great shame it rated quiet low,so far one of the best dramas of this year.Maybe with word of mouth tonights episode may be higher.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Corrie 7.6m
    ED 6.5m

Both incl +1
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Great shame it rated quiet low,so far one of the best dramas of this year.Maybe with word of mouth tonights episode may be higher.

What did ITV expect when airing it against The Apprentice? Should have been on another day. Lost Honour will definitely be up for awards next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1's search for a Saturday night hit continues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/prized-apart-presenters
    Emma Willis and Reggie Yates are announced today as the presenters of Prized Apart, BBC One’s brand new, nail-biting Saturday night entertainment show.

Filmed on location abroad and in the UK, the show will feature ten contestants who compete in a range of gruelling challenges.

Each week, the bottom placed contestants are flown back to the UK, to a studio hanger where their partners await. The stay-at-home players must keep their loved ones in the competition by answering a set of questions in a head-to-head round against the other partners. If they succeed, their loved ones will get back on the plane to continue the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone got a rating for IAC Coming Out? :)
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

Sounds abysmal and needlessly extravagant. Hate the sound of it.

With the above in mind I'm sure it'll be a hit.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't this show announced ages ago?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want BBC +1.

Mind you I'd prefer if all channels stopped putting many of their best shows on Monday and Thursday. I find I watch so little telly outside of sport, but when I do it's all crunched into a couple of nights. So I do like plus 1, often you can have 4 or 5 things you want to watch, and it makes it a lot easier.

Mibd you there seems to be very little on ATM on even one channel, run-up to Xmas I guess. Think the Fall and Pointless slebs maybe the only thing I watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Sounds abysmal and needlessly extravagant. Hate the sound of it.

With the above in mind I'm sure it'll be a hit.
    BBC Entertainment hasn't had a hit in years so that works against it. It might work but Reggie Yates? Could be worse. Alex Jones could be hosting itm
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Wasn't this show announced ages ago?

Mentioned before but now officially out there.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did ITV expect when airing it against The Apprentice? Should have been on another day. Lost Honour will definitely be up for awards next year.

The Apprentice isn't that big and wasn't the problem. Clearly the subject matter didn't grab enough viewers which is a pity as it was excellent.

Considering there was no IAC that looks pretty low for The Apprentice.
This discussion has been closed.