Options

Bin Lorry Crashes Into Pedestrians - Glasgow

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    How would knowing his name alter anything?...we don't know the names of the injured either.

And if I were them, or the driver I would want my identity withheld for as long as possible to stop the press digging through my Facebook, hassling friends and relatives for info or outright making things up.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Because 'we' don't have an automatic right to be told anything about his condition. He is just like any other person when it comes to medical confidentiality.

So many on these forums cannot tell the difference from TV programmes and reality. Seems they think real life "story lines" should be as fast moving as it is in the soaps.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was a medical issue with the driver that caused this I really do hope he is never named, he doesn't deserve that, he has to live with enough without everyone knowing who he is.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eira wrote: »
    If it was a medical issue with the driver that caused this I really do hope he is never named, he doesn't deserve that, he has to live with enough without everyone knowing who he is.
    Shouldn't be any need to really. Nobody has anything to gain from knowing his name and his family should be given privacy. All 'joe public' needs to know is if it was a heart attack or 'fit'......and that's all.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be any need to really. Nobody has anything to gain from knowing his name and his family should be given privacy. All 'joe public' needs to know is if it was a heart attack or 'fit'......and that's all.

Or if he fell unconscious at the wheel due to sudden illness, which seems highly likely given that somebody said they saw him slumped there.

He's probably going to find it hard to live with himself when the facts sink in. Poor sod.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because 'we' don't have an automatic right to be told anything about his condition. He is just like any other person when it comes to medical confidentiality.

Totally lost on some here :(
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Or if he fell unconscious at the wheel due to sudden illness, which seems highly likely given that somebody said they saw him slumped there.

He's probably going to find it hard to live with himself when the facts sink in. Poor sod.
    Even more so with it being so close to Christmas which will be an annual reminder. Short of losing a close family member i cannot think of anything worse. Hopefully he and his family get every help they need.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Isnt it mandatory that the driver will be arrested for death due to dangerous driving?

He will have to be questioned under caution after an arrest.

Whether they decide to prosecute will come later but step 1 and 2 above has to happen.

If he was taken ill whilst driving and was unable make the vehicle safe, then he cannot be charged with dangerous driving as it was utterly out of his control. The situation may change if it becomes apparent that he had a known but undisclosed medical condition which precluded him from driving.

If his blood results show drink or drugs then he may be arrested once he is well enough. He will be questioned as to what happened as will his workmates and his mobile phone records checked but unless there is something to indicate negligence, then there is no reason to arrest him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many on these forums cannot tell the difference from TV programmes and reality. Seems they think real life "story lines" should be as fast moving as it is in the soaps.

and they seem to think that they should have access to everyone's personal details and a fully comprehensive report on the cause of the accident within 24 hours.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and they seem to think that they should have access to everyone's personal details and a fully comprehensive report on the cause of the accident within 24 hours.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's ridiculous. As if money will compensate for the families' losses. How sad that it's the first thing some people think of. There is a fund, which will be able to help the families with any immediate costs, and there are already facilities in place for family members to be compensated in the case of a fatal accident without anyone having to "sue".

You know, I think even if he might have been considered well enough to go home in other circumstances, it's probably for the best he stays where he is. He's going to need a great deal of emotional support as well as physical.

I agree financial compensation is not important at this stage but the average funeral and burial is about six grand or more the families should not have to worry about that the council should agree to pay them. Not every family has that kind of money or life insurance.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the driver had a health problem? will he be named though? as you can imagine the public would hate him if he was revealed
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the driver had a health problem? will he be named though? as you can imagine the public would hate him if he was revealed
    Why would the public hate him?
    I feel really sorry for him actually.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm. This is a strangely popular thread.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

What health problem? Not seen anything in the news.
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I feel desperately sorry for that poor man, I hope he gets all the help he ever needs, and I hope is identity is never revealed, there is no reason for anyone to know it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing about his health has been confirmed or denied.

Why should the public hate him? Most people are sensible enough to realise that if someone collapses at the wheel whilst driving and are thus incapacitated, then it is simply not their fault, unless of course if they have a known health problem which, legally, means they should not drive and they do not declare the problem. Most people will feel only sympathy for the driver and the fact that he will have to live with the consequences even though he may be totally innocent.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Four posts in five years says more than you think!
    Wtf?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if I were them, or the driver I would want my identity withheld for as long as possible to stop the press digging through my Facebook, hassling friends and relatives for info or outright making things up.

Agreed.

Some of the posts on this thread have been bloody ridiculous. The demand for every little detail is sickening. I know Glasgow very well, particularly that area. I feared someone I might know could have been involved, thankfully they weren't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

It's popular for me as it's very close to home. Problem?
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I feel really sorry for him actually.

So do I. If it's true he was taken ill, then this was a ghastly accident and the driver blameless. I think there will be a great deal of sympathy for him - except from those who don't accept there is such a thing as an accident.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »

Why strange?
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bin lorry.

Sounds a bit like a double act of Bin Laden and Hugh Laurie.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what are you on about this is a major incident and we should know of his condition.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that (if true)two other people were in cab with him yet -apparently-couldnt stop the vehicle.
    It's a very sad affair all round.