Options

What is the oldest you have been asked for ID for alcohol?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone mentioned most places operate the challenge 25 policy annoying as it is! At the end of the day the people on the tills don't think up the policies even though some are ludicrous..however you'd still expect an employee to be polite, manners cost very little!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister is 30, when she was 27 she walked in a shop with 2 of her kids and she still got ID'ed for **** :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got asked two weeks ago for ID for **** - I'm 40.
  • Options
    Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Wales, I always get ID'd. In London i've only bought alcohol 3 times but i've never been ID'd! I'm 21 and think I look pretty young for my age!
  • Options
    dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    I'm 32 and look my age unfortunately, and the only time I was ID'd was at Tesco Express, because of their silly 25+ age policy thing.

"Have you got any ID?"

"No"

"Erm..." and proceeds to scan through my booze anyway.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this is still the exact case, but when I worked in retail a few years back if someone got caught selling restricted goods to a minor then there were 2 large fines issued - one for the company, and one for the individual who sold the item (which most people don't seem to realise). I for one do not fancy getting a fine and probably also losing my job for the sake of not upsetting some oversensitive idiot.

To me the most obvious solution to all this would be to take the same route as other countries and insist on ID as standard when buying alchahol. That way nobody is getting victimised or singled out. But of course all the do-gooders insist this is a breach of their human rights :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    3 years ago I was Id checked in waitrose for wine. I can probably pass for 10 years younger than I am, that's still way clear of age check guidelines.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Not sure if this is still the exact case, but when I worked in retail a few years back if someone got caught selling restricted goods to a minor then there were 2 large fines issued - one for the company, and one for the individual who sold the item (which most people don't seem to realise). I for one do not fancy getting a fine and probably also losing my job for the sake of not upsetting some oversensitive idiot.

To me the most obvious solution to all this would be to take the same route as other countries and insist on ID as standard when buying alchahol. That way nobody is getting victimised or singled out. But of course all the do-gooders insist this is a breach of their human rights :rolleyes:.

This has to be one of the single, most amusing critisism of human rights and 'do-gooders' I've ever read :D

I think it is quite understandable that someone who is quite obviously over the age of 25 will be a miffed if they are refused a sale of age restricted goods because they have no ID. That is because the current adopted English guidelines ( or law in at least Scotland ) only require employees/business to ask for ID if a person appears under 25 - NOT everyone in general.

So what that has to do with do-gooding, I've no idea :confused:
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    34, i was mortified!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the thing about an expired Passport is that it could have been passed on to someone, stolen, or even taken out of a rubbish bin, and the picture may have replaced or altered.

Who, apart from a major criminal, would go to the trouble of altering the picture in a current Passport just to get some booze?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Punkchick wrote: »
    Why is it different for alcohol and ****? They are both restricted to over 18 so it shouldn't matter which one it is.

Is it?
    I thought it was still over 16 for ****?
    Ive been over 16 for a while now so ive no idea!?
    *Goes off to Google*
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »

Or they do know and don't give a monkey's because they're over 25.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Ok just checked 18 for ciggys! I never even knew!

Well regardless I certainly dont look 17!!! I wish I did but I dont.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these are mad, ID'd at 40, I'd like to know where in the country youse live!

Since moving to London, I have not been ID'd once in the massive tesco I live beside or any other corner shop. I have however got ID'd every time I go to a club, but not pubs. I'm 21, its just weird, thinking there are 40 year olds getting ID'd and I'm getting on grand.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    36, was 'ID'd' in one of those open all hours shops.

Doesn't bother me really, I guess some stores are so worried about undercover council bods, that they ingrain asking for ID into their staff so much it becomes an automatic thing.

A while back, was in the Local Morrissons doing the shopping, at the checkout the operator asked for confirmation that the wine I was buying wasn't for my daughter...

...only it wasn't my daughter with me but the OH she'd come with me without her make-up on (shes 28)

Slightly awkward moment all round when I pointed this out:o:D
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    and the picture may have replaced or altered.

You can't replace the photo.

It's sealed in behind a hologram.

Indeed, IIRC, the image isn't a photo, but a print of the photo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    at the checkout the operator asked for confirmation that the wine I was buying wasn't for my daughter...

confirmation in the form of what, a sworn affidavit?

Besides, in private, you can give your teenage daughter all the alcohol you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

Besides, in private, you can give your teenage daughter all the alcohol you like.

It's a bit of a weird one, apparently in the sale of alcohol act or whatever it's called, there is a clause regarding purchasing alcohol for minors.

It's down to intent in that you can't buy alcohol with the express intention of giving it to a minor, but if you give them some subsequently because they nag or whatever that is fine:confused::confused::confused:

There was a news story and a thread here a while back about some Tesco stores which were misinterpreting things and refusing to sell alcohol to people shopping there with their kids - it all got a bit silly (the story, not the thread:))
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can give a kid alcohol as long as they are over 5 at home!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    You can give a kid alcohol as long as they are over 5 at home!

I was assuming that misha06's wife at least looks like a teenager.

If she could be mistaken for someone under 13, it'd be a bit :eek:
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 30 and get asked every time. I guess I shouldn't mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was assuming that misha06's wife at least looks like a teenager.

If she could be mistaken for someone under 13, it'd be a bit :eek:

She looks her age, sans make up less so, but certainly not teenage.

Whole incident was a bit random.

Starting to wish I hadn't said anything now:)
  • Options
    Zetec5Zetec5 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    34! But to be fair, in supermarkets, it's over 25 or summat like that - I know and accept for a fact that I no longer look 19 - girls girls girls! :-D
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm approaching 40 and I've never been asked in the UK (I used to even get served at 16 without trouble) but I go to the US several times a year and still regularly get asked there. Many bars will have the policy of ID'ing everyone.

That's why I got asked for ID at Madison Square Garden a few years ago then... I thought it was a wind-up :D
  • Options
    dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    Not really related, but got me thinking - if you're out on a night in town, and a girl asks you how old you are, does your answer depend on how old you think she looks, and how old you think she would like you to be? I'm guilty of that, and it never crosses my mind to actually respond with my real age :D