Options

Phone Connection

One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think everyone here knows about the phone connection problem where you must have all Sky boxes connected to a phone line otherwise Sky will start sending you letters. Well i have Sky Multiroom and i'm only able to have one Sky Box connected to my phone line at the moment because there is a problem with the other one.

So i was just wondering if you knew if it were possible to buy a new lead that connects your Sky box to your phone line because i'm pretty sure there is a problem with my current one. I want to get this sorted ASAP because Sky are threatening to charge me full price for my Sky Multiroom [instead of £10] if i don't get it connected.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    It's just a standard 56k computer modem cable available from just about everywhere from maplins to asda and should cost you no more than £1.89 for 1.2m (unless you buy it from comet ;) )

exact cable type is rj11-bt crossed (1-2, 2-1, 3-4 & 4-3)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    How often to Sky actually check to ensure boxes are "live"?

When the initial 12 months was up, I disconnected my standard box from the phone. I was still able to order PPV etc.

More recently, I had Sky+ Multiroom installed and had to have both boxes back on the phone. Thus the PPV programmes have now been billed for although over 12 months ago when watched.

This begs an interesting question.

If your contract allows it, you should disconnect from the phone line and will never be charged for PPV again, providing you don't reconnect at some point allowing Sky or whoever to find out what you've watched.

F
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    ffcphone wrote:
    This begs an interesting question.

If your contract allows it, you should disconnect from the phone line and will never be charged for PPV again, providing you don't reconnect at some point allowing Sky or whoever to find out what you've watched.
    Exactly what those who advertise "Free Sky PPV" on e-bay suggest.

One slight flaw - After you have run up £50 credit on your viewing card, the Sky+ box insists on a callback before allowing you to order anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought there must be some "protective" mechanism built-in.

Presumably if you decide to leave Sky and cancel they may well insist on either a callback to your box or your viewing card being sent to them intact for them to "interrogate" it at their end to ensure billing is made for viewed PPV.

But £50 of "free" viewing is OK. Only thing is Sky probably insist on a full-time phone connection for new contracts and Sky+ in view of the issues of "missed" revenue.

F
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you need a Broadband filter plugged into your phone socket connected to the Sky phone wire? Just that i replaced the wire going into my Sky box from my phone socket and now my internet don't work and i think it might be because i don't have a Broadband filter going into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    YES! Whenever you have a piece of telephone equipment (fax, telephone, Sky box, etc) connected to a line which also has broadband coming down it, you should ALWAYS add a microfilter. These can be bought for next to nothing although BT will try and charge you a fortune for these splitter devices.

Disconnect your Sky box, leave it a few moments, and I bet your internet is alright again.

F
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, when i disconnect the Sky Box from my Phone Socket everything is working again. Looks like i will need to buy another one of these filters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We had a similar problem although it was a cordless phone base unit which we had forgotten to attach a microfilter to.

The BT engineer said that higher speed ADSL lines are more prone to problems of this nature and that 90% of callouts to customers experiencing broadband problems are simply the lack of a microfilter being installed.

F
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just ordered one for £8.74. I'm glad i only need one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jesus. my girlfriend got me 5 for about £15 although she does work in IT consumables. I'd have sold you one for a fiver including postage!

F