Options

I'm so fat in Primark. In general too, but especially in Primark.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katiie (: wrote: »
    Im at size 10 normally and went primark and had to buy size 12 jeans :/
    I was mortified :p
    Size 8-10 tops, cardigans, skirts, dresses and pyjamas are good but is just the jeans!
    Also Jane Norman is rediculously small.
    But everywhere else im a size 10 :)
    Why be mortified?

I sometimes have to buy a size 16 in Dresses if it is a small fitting tight Dress. It doesn't bother me, as long as I can get one that fits!

You'll get use to it lol. Besides a size 12 is still very slim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    dont worry about it, it's a common thing that sizes in primark are crazy...

for instance, i bought a pair of size 16 jeans the other day and i couldnt even get them on, yet another pair of jeans i bought in there in a size 12 fit?!!

also a friend of mine is a tiny size 8 and she had to buy a size 16 jacket because the arms were so small!!

you often wonder 'have i really put on weight??' but i can assure you its their sizes that are bonkers!!
  • Options
    Hilary22catHilary22cat Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dont go into Zara - picked up a 'medium' dress to try on, assuming it was a size 12, and the assistant told me that a size 12 in Zara is a XL, size 14 XXL.When I queried this with the manager she explained that they have found that British women are 'so slim', they are reducing their sizes even more in the near future.

Think they might be reduced to catering for 12 year olds only.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katiie (: wrote: »
    Im at size 10 normally and went primark and had to buy size 12 jeans :/
    I was mortified :p
    Size 8-10 tops, cardigans, skirts, dresses and pyjamas are good but is just the jeans!
    Also Jane Norman is rediculously small.
    But everywhere else im a size 10 :)

Don't put too much emphasis on label sizes. You haven't gotten any bigger it's just obvious discrepancies in sizing. It's not important, more important how it looks on you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dont go into Zara - picked up a 'medium' dress to try on, assuming it was a size 12, and the assistant told me that a size 12 in Zara is a XL, size 14 XXL.When I queried this with the manager she explained that they have found that British women are 'so slim', they are reducing their sizes even more in the near future.

Think they might be reduced to catering for 12 year olds only.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I once went out wearing a size 24 shirt and 14 skirt. explain that to me. :(
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a very similar size to you.

I too am a size 12 in Trousers, have quite big Boobs, slight Tum. I normally go for a size 14 if I can.

I buy all of my Clothes from Dorothy Perkins as they fit me well and I love their Styles.

In there I take a Size 14 in Jeans, 12- 14 in Trousers, Size 12, 14 or 16 in Tops depending on fitting and Style.

In dresses I generally go for a size 14. One Dress I bought from there I needed no smaller than a size 16 as I tried a size 14 on and it was way too tight.

Sometimes Coats can be small fitting as I have quite a lot of size 16 Coats. Even have a size 18 Coat that is not too big for me.

So it just shows you that even things from the same retailer can sometimes vary vastly in fitting.

I wouldn't worry about it, just always try a few sizes on to see which fits you best.

I'm not ashamed to say that I have a size 18 Cost, I also have some Size 10 Tops which fit me perfectly!!

Just goes to show doesn't it! :)

Reading that post is like reading about myself!

Sizing in shops is the bane of my life. I have size 10s to size 16s in my wardrobe. It's upsetting sometimes when things don't fit when they "should" but if it bothers you, cut the label out and forget about it. Nobody has to know what size it is. And buying something that actually fits regardless of the numerical size - makes you look smaller anyway :)
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I once went out wearing a size 24 shirt and 14 skirt. explain that to me. :(

You're well stacked perhaps? :cool:
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    It drives me nuts too. I hate shopping, I'd like to be able to just go in, pick something and go but everything has to be tried on now because the sizing's so f'd up. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I got a top from Primark a few weeks ago, it was a size 18 - I'm normally a size 10/12.

TBH I find clothes shopping such a chore now, trying to find something that fits right. I end coming away feeling miserable and fat, especially when I see size 4 clothing in Topshop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite related but it's taken me ages to find skinny jeans that aren't too long for me. I'm 5'3 so at the top end of the petite range, the 'short' 30" length jeans are always too long. Finally managed to find a pair in a branch of New Look that were 28" in length, god help anyone shorter than me! I've lined up pairs of skinny jeans that are apparently the same length but when they are lined up there is always an inch or two in difference! The cut is appalling...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    i have everything from a size 8 to an 18 in my wardrobe....primark is notorious for crazy sizes, im glad im not the only one who feels like a heffer in there!
  • Options
    Plant_PiePlant_Pie Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hannahjay wrote: »
    Not quite related but it's taken me ages to find skinny jeans that aren't too long for me. I'm 5'3 so at the top end of the petite range, the 'short' 30" length jeans are always too long. Finally managed to find a pair in a branch of New Look that were 28" in length, god help anyone shorter than me! I've lined up pairs of skinny jeans that are apparently the same length but when they are lined up there is always an inch or two in difference! The cut is appalling...

Urgh New Look and their 28'' length seem impossible to find! They bring out really nice jeans in nice colours...but none for shorter people!

But agree Primark sizes are all over the place.Made the mistake before of picking up a few tops all in a 10 without trying on..got home and some were like a tent!
  • Options
    TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given up worrying about it now. Although Primark is the only place that I can find strappy vest tops that fit properly.

I am a size 20 in the vest tops but I have a skirt from there that is a size 10 and slids down my waist so I don't really wear it. My mum was only around a size 12 (although she was losing weight because of being ill too) but I got her PJs from there for going to hospital because I was in a rush and needed them and even the size 16-18 was too tight for her. It didn't help having to go and keep changing sizes yet before when I got her a cardigan it was far too big theres just no logic to it.

I don't worry about the sizing I take the approach of as long as it fits, is comfortable and I look good in it then thats all that really matters and as said by others you can always cut the size label out if you're really uncomfortable with it.

I certainly wouldn't get too stressed about it though life's too short to worry about Primark sizing.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always have to get things a size or two bigger in Primark, it's ridiculous.

On the flip side, I find that clothes in Next come up slightly big. I can fit into size 8 jeans from there, when I'm usually a 10 everywhere else (except for Primark!)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

On the flip side, I find that clothes in Next come up slightly big. I can fit into size 8 jeans from there, when I'm usually a 10 everywhere else (except for Primark!)

Really ? I haven't shopped in Next for about 10yrs, but i vaguely recalled that everything came up small in Next.

I was given a £20 gift card by my sister for Next and I went online and bought a few items in the sale. I am normally a size 14, but i ordered 16 due to my 'coming up small' theory. Bum
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I've long given up on looking at sizes, especially in places like Primark, where depending on what it is and where I buy it from I can be anything from a 10 to a 20 :eek:

I can usually tell just from looking at an item of clothing as to whether or not it's going to fit me anyway.
  • Options
    cold tootsiescold tootsies Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Sizes are all completely different from shop to shop- it's so annoying! I am currently wearing everything from a size 6 to a size 14 depending on where I bought the item?!:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant_Pie wrote: »
    Urgh New Look and their 28'' length seem impossible to find! They bring out really nice jeans in nice colours...but none for shorter people!

But agree Primark sizes are all over the place.Made the mistake before of picking up a few tops all in a 10 without trying on..got home and some were like a tent!

Yep I didn't find any until I got to Cardiff, and even then they've only got navy blue ones. I hate wearing skinny jeans where they bunch up at the bottom :mad:

I like Tesco clothes, they make me feel good about myself, I'm usually an 8-10 but a size 6 in tops there :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a weird range of clothes to but most are 8's you should go to gap for a dress the size 0 are about a size 10!.
  • Options
    PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say that I love the title of this thread :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco are the opposite. They definitely make their sizes bigger to make us feel better and buy more. Usually I'm an 8 but i bought a dress last week that's a 6 and slightly loose.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they just sew random numbers into their clothes in Primark.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    Tesco are the opposite. They definitely make their sizes bigger to make us feel better and buy more. Usually I'm an 8 but i bought a dress last week that's a 6 and slightly loose.
    hannahjay wrote: »
    Yep I didn't find any until I got to Cardiff, and even then they've only got navy blue ones. I hate wearing skinny jeans where they bunch up at the bottom :mad:

I like Tesco clothes, they make me feel good about myself, I'm usually an 8-10 but a size 6 in tops there :p
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I always have to get things a size or two bigger in Primark, it's ridiculous.

I agree about Next and Tesco being bigger. In fact I think all the shops that cater for typically older women (as in not teens, twenties) come up bigger.

I am going to make myself unpopular and say that all sizes are getting bigger. If you look at a size 8 pair of jeans from ten years ago and compare them to now, they are smaller.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Next and Tesco being bigger. In fact I think all the shops that cater for typically older women (as in not teens, twenties) come up bigger.

I am going to make myself unpopular and say that all sizes are getting bigger. If you look at a size 8 pair of jeans from ten years ago and compare them to now, they are smaller.

It might not be popular but it's true. 25 years ago when I was a teenager, I didn't know anyone smaller than a size 8 and those who were an 8 were tiny.
    I used to be a 12 back then and now I'm a 10 and yet I weight around 1/2 a stone more. How can than make sense unless sizing has become more generous?
  • Options
    subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you. But then again, women from ten or even twenty years ago are different to women now. Thats what I was told, but to me a guy, it all looks the same..

what am I doing here..lol...