What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you? (Part 2)

Comments

• HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a few experiences that were strange and hard to explain but I have to say from the outset that I don't believe in ghosts or supernatural phenomena so I think there must be an explanation - I just don't know what it is. :D Now, that's not to dismiss the accounts here - some of those are just plain weird. I just can't attribute it to anything supernatural when it happens to me.

When we moved to this house there was a period of a few months when strange things would happen. The house is 3 storey and our master room is on the top floor - the attic room - kids' rooms are on the middle floor. My daughter would have on occasion woke in the night and come up to our room. I was so accustomed to hearing her. You could even hear her wee feet padding on the stair carpet, the inevitable creak about 2/3 up, her knocking into the bannister every now and then and then the very, very definite sound of her rubbing, scobing and sometimes scraping the outside of our door, feeling around for door handle in the dark.

I was so used to it I would sit up, put on the lamp and wait for her to come in. During this period though there were occasions she didn't come in. I just sat waiting, listening to all the noise outside the door. The first few times I obviously went out to see why she hadn't come in but there was no one on the landing. When I popped down to the kids' rooms both were tucked up in bed, out for the count.

The noises were so frequent and so definite I told my husband about it and would wake him as soon as I heard 'anyone' on the stairs. He heard it too. Now he's even more sceptic than me - he wouldn't even read a thread like this, and would just dismiss it as a load of aul shyte - but neither of the two of us could explain what could cause all the noise inside the house. Being cynics we figured it must have been something from outside that just happened to sound exactly like someone coming up the stairs and fiddling and footering with our door. :D

Around the same time, but this went on longer, whenever I was changing our (lazy, toilet-shy) toddler's nappy in his bedroom I would always - ALWAYS - see a dark shadow or shape pass by his door on the landing, out of the side of my eye. Always from left to right going toward the stairs to our bedroom. It was about the build and size of a tall man, rather like my husband's build. So much so in fact the first couple of times it happened when he was in the house so I assumed it was just him walking past and spoke to him before realising there was no one there.

Because it was so predictable I would, like an eejit, sit and watch the doorway face on but it never happened when I was waiting for 'it', but as soon as I looked away it would be there out of the side of my eye. It's odd because our landing is so light and bright but it must have been some kind of shadow or trick of the light. Must have been.

A while after this, when the things above were much less frequent, our toddler son kept looking at the wall in his room beside his door. If I did anything silly he would say 'de man is laughing at you, Mummy' or 'de man is looking at you, Mummy'. When I asked 'what man?' he looked at that wall said 'dat man der'. I didn't really get much more sense out of him and I thought no more of it. He was only little after all. Then one day he asked me if 'all da houses have a man'. I asked what he meant and he said quite matter of factly, as if I were stupid for not knowing, that there's usually a man in his room, watching him, always beside the door.

He couldn't or wouldn't describe him to me - he was very young and prone to distraction and could cover several topics all in the one breath :D - other than to say it was always the same man, he didn't know who the man was, he'd always known him to be there, he sometimes had a bull (!), he thought he was a nice man and wasn't scared of him, but he would really rather he wasn't there. After that conversation there were no more references to the man. We have had the odd reference to a bull in his room over subsequent years though. :D

I work in a nursing home and, of course, all the staff, bar about two or three of us, are convinced it's haunted, so I have a few more but I think I've waffled enough for one day. :blush:

Loved this story, don't know how you can be so calm about it.

I went through a period of bangs and knocks on my bedroom door, inside and out, but only after l decided to shut it up tight, now l leave it slightly open l don't hear anything.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Last nights I was going through old belongings and photos from the attic - in my bedroom. Today is the 10th anniversary of the death of my nephew (who was 12) - around midnight last night I went to the toilet - came back and on my bedroom floor was a black feather.
    I've read about "angels" and feathers being left etc - but the feather wasn't there before......or maybe it was and I'm reading too much into. It does make you think though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Last nights I was going through old belongings and photos from the attic - in my bedroom. Today is the 10th anniversary of the death of my nephew (who was 12) - around midnight last night I went to the toilet - came back and on my bedroom floor was a black feather.
    I've read about "angels" and feathers being left etc - but the feather wasn't there before......or maybe it was and I'm reading too much into. It does make you think though

I do believe in this, whether people believe it or not. And Im sceptical of most things
    A feather has appeared in the most bizarre places at the time Ive needed it
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Angels 'wings' were made up by medieval artists for their paintings IIRC - I hardly think if they existed they would need a maniraptoran dinosaurs integument anyway. :p
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Angels 'wings' were made up by medieval artists for their paintings IIRC - I hardly think if they existed they would need a maniraptoran dinosaurs integument anyway. :p

Just a note, but we've had this thread for four years and it's always been very much a no judgement, no mockery zone. Would be quite nice if we could keep it that way.

And, to be anal about this, Biblical passages do make reference to winged angels.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a note, but we've had this thread for four years and it's always been very much a no judgement, no mockery zone. Would be quite nice if we could keep it that way.

And, to be anal about this, Biblical passages do make reference to winged angels.

I was joking - no mockery intended.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Something spooky just happened, just coincidental but freaked me out nonetheless
    Driving home with my eldest daughter and hubby listening to the car radio and I was singing "The Bangles Eternal Flame" and my daughter said it was a really good song how did I know it etc. We got round to talking about bands that you never hear of now and I said I would loved to have heard more from Roxette as they were also underrated... next song came on.. You got the Look by Roxette!! So I said to my husband right you guess the next song and he jokingly said Scritti Politi..............AND IT WAS :o:o:o:o:o
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    Loved this story, don't know how you can be so calm about it.

I went through a period of bangs and knocks on my bedroom door, inside and out, but only after l decided to shut it up tight, now l leave it slightly open l don't hear anything.

Thankfully I'm a sceptic so it's easy to stay calm. If I wasn't I think I would have peed a bit. :blush: It was all very strange though.
    Now that is a creepy story.What explanation could there be for your very young son asking "who is that man?" whoa id be terrified even though im sceptical.Please don't feel you've waffled,we want more:)

I just put it down to his wild imagination tbh, although I have to admit I was a bit surprised that he come out with what he did at such a young age. The bull though. :D Funny, he mentioned the bull the other day.

Honestly, that wee boy has spinned some yarns in his time so I do take what he says with a pinch of salt. The most embarrassing claim he made was that the gentleman in the queue behind us in the petrol station was 'Daddy'. He went on and on, crying over my shoulder calling out to 'Daddy' (who, the poor man, looked mortified) and saying I was mean for p'tending he wasn't his Daddy. Unfortunately it was the slowest moving queue I have ever been in. I'm not sure who was more embarrassed: me, the bloke or the people who thought they were witnessing some sort of domestic spectacle. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that's nice. What are the chances of a feather being in or around your house? I know if I was to find a feather 'just there' in my room it would be very, very unusual.

Really sorry about your nephew. Losing someone is hard but it seems even more so when it is a child.
    Something spooky just happened, just coincidental but freaked me out nonetheless
    Driving home with my eldest daughter and hubby listening to the car radio and I was singing "The Bangles Eternal Flame" and my daughter said it was a really good song how did I know it etc. We got round to talking about bands that you never hear of now and I said I would loved to have heard more from Roxette as they were also underrated... next song came on.. You got the Look by Roxette!! So I said to my husband right you guess the next song and he jokingly said Scritti Politi..............AND IT WAS :o:o:o:o:o

Weird stuff! :D The Weegie family don't want to have a bash at the Lottery numbers, eh? I'll cut you in if you give me a heads up.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just happened right now. Currently sat in my living room (to give you some idea of the layout, I'm at the dining table sitting directly opposite the tv which is front of the boiler). The boiler usually makes all kind of noises so nothing too weird there. I thought I saw something move there but when I looked up it was fine and got back on with things. About a minute later the cupboard door opens of its own accord and wind chime thing in the same area starts moving.

There's probably some logical explanation like the people moving about and causing vibrations but wasn't half creepy. Plus now I keep *hearing* things. Blame this thread for stoking my imagination as I was only reading it the other day. :p
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend told me an odd story a few days ago. I think he won't mind me sharing it here:

He was looking after his four-month-old when he decided he needed the loo. He left his son sleeping, in a baby basket, on the living-room sofa, and visited the W.C. under the stairs. About two minutes later, he went back to the living room. He immediately noticed the baby basket wasn't on the sofa.

He looked around the living room, the kitchen, the W.C. and outside the front of his house. The front door was locked before he went outside to check. He ran upstairs and checked his son's bedroom, his own bedroom, two spare rooms and the bathroom. Nothing.

The police were asking him questions on phone when he happened to look out of a kitchen window. Right there, the baby basket was in the garden. He went to the back door in panic, but it was locked.

He unlocked it and went out. He was convinced that the basket would be empty because he felt someone had stolen his son, but his son was in the basket, snoozing. The police visited, just to be sure. They checked around the house and the like. Nothing unusual.

Friend's still upset about the experience. Keeps talking about it. No one could explain how it could happen, but there's a popular theory that someone has a key, even though he and his wife didn't give anyone a copy. Not even their own parents. It couldn't be the previous owner, either, as they changed all door locks as soon as they moved into the house three years ago.

He didn't hear anyone moving around when he was in the W.C., either, but he doesn't trust himself any more. He recently bought a home security system (CCTV, alarms and the lot) and ordered a new round of door locks in case someone does have the keys. Horrible and creepy. :( I'm ashamed to admit I didn't believe his story at first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    A friend told me an odd story a few days ago. I think he won't mind me sharing it here:

He was looking after his four-month-old when he decided he needed the loo. He left his son sleeping, in a baby basket, on the living-room sofa, and visited the W.C. under the stairs. About two minutes later, he went back to the living room. He immediately noticed the baby basket wasn't on the sofa.

He looked around the living room, the kitchen, the W.C. and outside the front of his house. The front door was locked before he went outside to check. He ran upstairs and checked his son's bedroom, his own bedroom, two spare rooms and the bathroom. Nothing.

The police were asking him questions on phone when he happened to look out of a kitchen window. Right there, the baby basket was in the garden. He went to the back door in panic, but it was locked.

He unlocked it and went out. He was convinced that the basket would be empty because he felt someone had stolen his son, but his son was in the basket, snoozing. The police visited, just to be sure. They checked around the house and the like. Nothing unusual.

Friend's still upset about the experience. Keeps talking about it. No one could explain how it could happen, but there's a popular theory that someone has a key, even though he and his wife didn't give anyone a copy. Not even their own parents. It couldn't be the previous owner, either, as they changed all door locks as soon as they moved into the house three years ago.

He didn't hear anyone moving around when he was in the W.C., either, but he doesn't trust himself any more. He recently bought a home security system (CCTV, alarms and the lot) and ordered a new round of door locks in case someone does have the keys. Horrible and creepy. :( I'm ashamed to admit I didn't believe his story at first.

That is incredibly creepy. Gave me goosebumps reading it. Do you believe him now? I don't think anyone would ring the police if they weren't being truthful. It would be great if you could give us a wee update if he gets the CCTV up.

How terrifying for him. Thank god his baby was ok.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is incredibly creepy. Gave me goosebumps reading it. Do you believe him now? I don't think anyone would ring the police if they weren't being truthful. It would be great if you could give us a wee update if he gets the CCTV up.

How terrifying for him. Thank god his baby was ok.

I admit I'm still somewhat sceptical because there's too many questions.

I know his back door has a lock that makes a loud click when you turn it. Why didn't he hear this? It's not that far from the W.C., which is next to the kitchen.

Why would anyone unlock the door, creep in, take the basket, lock the door and abandon the basket in the garden? All this in two minutes? Like I say, too many questions. I think I'm somewhat convinced he sincerely believes it happened because of the changes in him. He used to be easy-going and laid back, but now he's a bit uptight, paranoid and nervous.

Sure, I'll let you know when the CCTV thing is up.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

This story has really un-nerved me. Don't know why exactly, it's just something very creepy about it. Hope the man and the baby are ok
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a news article somewhere that the Kwik Save Supermarket in Wrexham (now closed of course) was haunted, mainly in the stock room or the canteen. But apparently the most cold area of the building was the butcher counter because when it was being built a builder fell through the upstairs floor & got killed! I feel sorry for any of the butchers who worked there!

There was the time when we came back from my nan's funeral & when we went in the house the christmas train set (which was boxed in it's polystyrene) started playing 'Jingle Bells'. :o
  • IngenueIngenue Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    My daughter was given a life-sized doll when she was 3, it was the same size as her, and walked when its hands were squeezed, and talked when a string in its back was pulled.

I've never been a doll lover, and I hated that doll. I swear it used to watch me at night. Once when I went into my daughter's room, the doll said "Goodnight Mommy" (it had an American accent) and no-one was near it to pull it's string to activate the voice.

I was so glad when my daughter decided she was too old for dolls and the hideous creature went to the charity shop.

I would have been the same, certain types of dolls really give me the creeps, especially those ones with the porcelain heads (in fact Ashleighs BB profile pic where her hair is curly reminds me of one of them).
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    There was a news article somewhere that the Kwik Save Supermarket in Wrexham (now closed of course) was haunted, mainly in the stock room or the canteen. But apparently the most cold area of the building was the butcher counter because when it was being built a builder fell through the upstairs floor & got killed! I feel sorry for any of the butchers who worked there!

There was the time when we came back from my nan's funeral & when we went in the house the christmas train set (which was boxed in it's polystyrene) started playing 'Jingle Bells'. :o

Wouldn't a butcher's counter always be the coldest part of a supermarket?
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't a butcher's counter always be the coldest part of a supermarket?

I guess so but I meant cold by spiritually cold.
  • IngenueIngenue Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    Playing the grey poupon prank and finding someone that actually had a jar of it to hand (in their defense, they were driving a expensive motor so it was probably not the first time) but its mustard ffs

Or maybe he was a huge Waynes World fan & always kept some in the car should the occasion ever arise. He'd probably waited years for the opportunity. :D
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago, we were due to play a gig at our local theatre, we were invited round to have a look at it a few days before the gig, we were looking at the stage to check the stage plan and my wife, who's the singer, started to sing one of our songs, just to herself. As we were walking off the stage a 10p piece landed right in front of her, it came from around the lighting rig, that's the only place it could have come from because I heard it fly past my ear.

The theatre owner said that, that happens when Mary* enjoyed someones voice. then told us all about her. I wont say anything else, cos the theatre in question is on Most Haunted on Thursday 21st if you want to watch it

*Mary may not be her name, but I can't remember it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Here’s hoping that you have all, in the main, enjoyed our varied summer weather wise.

At last, I am recovered enough to post here again after recovering from illness. When taking my dogs out for their first walk with me in over four months and when locking the front door with the dogs at my side , I promptly fell backwards over my retriever and broke my left ankle and did damage to my left hand. Thank goodness that I can see the funny side of most things:)

What I relate below had been typed up yesterday and yet again, I believed that I had saved it but this was not so and hence I am having to type up my very first unexplained experience once again :-)

This IS my very first unexplained experience.

At the age of roughly seventeen, I was asked by our immediate neighbour’s, Beryl and Richard , two Americans, to baby sit their two very young children whilst they were going to the Airbase which was close by for an evening at the Club on base.

Towards the latter part of the evening, when Beryl and Richard were due home, I was sitting on their sofa reading a book when I became aware of a scratching sound beside me on the very sofa where I was sitting.

Having checked that an animal had not got into the property (very unlikely) and also checking the sofa by taking the seat cushions off I was left feeling somewhat worried by the noise of the scratching which was getting louder and louder and in fact, it became so loud that I shot out of the lounge and stood by the front door waiting for the couple to return home. Yes, I was un nerved and scared as I had never witnessed nor heard anything of the kind before.

Beryl and Richard arrived home not too long after I had left the lounge and I told them what had happened though I could tell by their faces that they thought that I had maybe imagined this. I had not and to this day, I still am at a loss to know
    exactly what had caused this very loud scratching and no, I never did baby sit for them again :-).

As always, respect to the sceptics and non believers that are reading this.

Lynne
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that the type of sex of bird can be ascertained form DNA from this feather? There are even services advertising sexing of birds via feather DNA.
    To associate such feathers with Angels etc is nonsensical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    You do realise that the type of sex of bird can be ascertained form DNA from this feather? There are even services advertising sexing of birds via feather DNA.
    To associate such feathers with Angels etc is nonsensical.

I'm sure you have read other posts in this thread similar to yours and also the replies. If you don't believe it, that's up to you, but people that post on here do and no one wants to read your pointless replies.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump.