Options

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, BBC1 Xmas Day, 6pm.

alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have to say i'm probably not anticipating this as much as I was last year's christmas special but still should be fun, please put all discussion for the episode here.

Comments

• Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with all Who Christmas specials, it's just pre-amble. I'm in it for the trailer.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it quite a lot more myself, not that I wasn't anticipating last years greatly, but it was rather a different vibe, this is more about looking forward to a special hopefully regaining the joy of The Christmas Invasion as opposed to seeing the beginning of the end of an era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been on the Who forums for a long while but will be for this, really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Very much looking forward to this.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wanted to get through last years to finally start to say goodbye to 10 after all that waiting. I can actually enjoy this year's properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it quite a lot more myself, not that I wasn't anticipating last years greatly, but it was rather a different vibe, this is more about looking forward to a special hopefully regaining the joy of The Christmas Invasion as opposed to seeing the beginning of the end of an era.

Pretty much the way I feel too....loved last years....but i wasn't wanting or even expecting a fun Christmas special....but for this I am, I know people don't like the Runaway Bride.....but for me in terms of Christmas Fun that was the the best, and I have a feeling this one will be too....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I don't know what it is about this new doctor but it just doesn't seem like a proper Dr Who program
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    This year seems quite boring really, as far as I understand it seems like a cross between girl in the fireplace/scrooge with added flying sharks. All I can say is "Yawn" tbh. Not looking forward to it at all, may surprise me and be interesting I suppose, I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    - Kaii - wrote: »
    I don't know what it is about this new doctor but it just doesn't seem like a proper Dr Who program

Matt Smith's the most doctory Doctor of the new series yet, so it should feel more like a "proper Dr Who program" because of him, not less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This year seems quite boring really, as far as I understand it seems like a cross between girl in the fireplace/scrooge with added flying sharks. All I can say is "Yawn" tbh. Not looking forward to it at all, may surprise me and be interesting I suppose, I'm not holding my breath.

The reviews have all been (well, the ones that I've read) very positive, some calling it the best christmas episode yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith's the most doctory Doctor of the new series yet, so it should feel more like a "proper Dr Who program" because of him, not less.

having read the comments that the poster you mention made about Matt elsewhere in this forum, I'd suggest he doesn't actually watch the show (or is amazingly ignorant about it). Although apparently he does claim to know what matt is like "away from the show":p
    The reviews have all been (well, the ones that I've read) very positive, some calling it the best christmas episode yet.

I'd say it has easily got the most positive advance press of any special. Still, a few people on here will go in to it determined to dislike it, what can you do? ;)

Happy Christmas all, hope everyone enjoys the episode today!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Merry Christmas Muttley :).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Even though I wasn't I huge fan of season 5, I did kind of get won over by the end and am really looking forward to today's episode. I'm actually organising our Christmas dinner around it!
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    - Kaii - wrote: »

I feel exactly the opposite :D:D:D

Really looking forward to the special, and to all the Matt haters - Bah Humbug :p
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love what Moffat has done with the show, but I'm still predicting that this will be crap. Xmas specials always are. As somebody else said, I'm watching it purely for the trailer at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GilaGora wrote: »
    Xmas specials always are. .

Sometimes they are a let down, sometimes they don't live up to what we hope, sometimes plot elements don't work, but none of the Xmas specials have actually been "crap" imho, thats just pure hyperbole. The only one that comes close really is Voyage of the Damned, and that was more because it veered towards being dull than anything.

eta: sorry forgot to post what i came here to:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-greetings-from-doctor-who.html

Sweet...:)
  • Options
    Stev0Stev0 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it'll be pretty fun to be honest. First Moffat Christmas Special and he doesn't disappoint. Looking forward to the Series 6 trailer at the end too. Merry Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GilaGora wrote: »
    I love what Moffat has done with the show, but I'm still predicting that this will be crap. Xmas specials always are. As somebody else said, I'm watching it purely for the trailer at the end.

I thought The Christmas Invasion was really good. I can definitely do without the others, but none of them is worse than the worst of the normal episodes.

Conversely, having just switched my TV on I will say this: whatever happens in Doctor Who, it'll easily be funnier than Ronnie Corbett. As would News 24.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Gambon is fantastic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that keen on the plot so far but nice camera action...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fish that can swim in fog eh
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fogfish
  • Options
    beccasmbeccasm Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    God this is boring. I may go for a bath.