Options

Radio 2 so dumbed down...

2»

Comments

• Options
    zorbaszorbas Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    gary217 wrote: »
    I expect this has been discussed before, but I'm finding R2 is now so dumbed down it's unlistenable (sorry for that word). Chris (I'm mixing with my big friends you little peole) Evans show is the worse with DIRE music, and Moira Stewart sounding like a half strangled chicken as she forces out laughter at what the Mighty Chris is saying, but generally the music on R2 has got very poor during the day and the presenters seem to just talk commercial radio style waffle now whereas there used to be some real quick wit on the programmes.

A few years ago it was really good - it's now totally lost its way - at least during the day. Do they really think that single by Robbie Williams is any good (even tho it is no 1) - they could showcase so much different talent to that, and mix it with known songs with some quality to them.

Shame. Time to move on methinks.

I'm relieved to know that I am not the only one who thinks this. :)
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also I cant stand the nonsnese banter between presenter and traffic reporter especially Ken Bruce it sounds like the presenters are bored> in fact I think its time for a reshuffle> Bruce has been there long enough.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Fair enough bad use of the word "ban" but even now there are a hell of a lot of teenagers/twenty somethings at Status Quo gigs so I still hold that at the time there was no reason why as a "Top 40" station Radio 1 shouldn't have played Quo.

I should also add that I have 2 daughters in there 20's who listen to Radio 1 and like & buy Robbie Williams music.
    But Radio 1 isn't a Top 40 station! Also I see young people at Folk concerts but I wouldn't expect to hear it on Radio 1. Remember as well in the past some artists never got any airplay at all but had hit records. Iron Maiden had numerous Top 20 hits but received no airplay anywhere. Status Quo and Robbie Williams have never had this treatment.
  • Options
    trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Chris Evans is ok, for driving to
    Isn't that the point of a weekday breakfast show. It is to be dipped into and out of when you are waking up and have to be somewhere.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitey_GRN wrote: »
    The most listened to breakfast show in the UK.

The most listened to radio station in the UK.

The facts speak for themselves and say you are wrong.

That said, I don't listen to it.

Is there another similar station on FM with the same coverage as Radio 2?

I think they have a slight advantage

Having said that, I do mostly like it.
  • Options
    mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikemold wrote: »
    To expand on another thread I commented on earlier, with such a large and diverse audience, radio 2 will nevr get everything absolutely right for everybody.
    They have been given a very wide brief to satisfy all types of music and cater for all ages, frankly I think they do very well in the job they have been given

Radio 2 has a very wide brief , too wide a brief !

The dumbing down occurs due too many celebs and in some cases speech radio presenters , who talk all over the music - some people on here call that 'entertainment' .

What they need to do is have an entertainment speech /old time / classical music station to satisfy those listeners and have a pop music station with musically experienced presenters - problem solved - no more dumbing down for the listeners.

I'm afraid that I do listen to Radio 2 less and less these days as my musical pleasure is being ruined .

Maybe the BBC trust is to blame for this scenario ? and they need people of a less political nature involved.