Options

Breastfeeding in a Swimming Pool

PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So this lady was in the toddler pool and decided to breastfeed her baby, waist high in the pool. She was asked to stop and when staff were challenged to get the management, they agreed and also asked her to stop.
She obviously feels aggrieved by this as she has gone to the papers. I know breastfeeding always brings about discussions and debates but I have to say I am with the Leisure Centre on this one. Why could she not have gone to the changing rooms? I don't see the comparison with urination but I think when I was a lifeguard that this is something I would have raised with my supervisor.
Wondered what the world of DSers thought about this story?
Link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392654/No-petting-bombing--breastfeeding-New-mother-ordered-stop-feeding-son-waist-deep-swimming-pool.html

EDIT: Don't moan at me about it being a DM link! :p:D

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think this is the same case the thread went many pages
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1855627&highlight=breastfeeding

Edit no it's a different case
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    So this lady was in the toddler pool and decided to breastfeed her baby, waist high in the pool. She was asked to stop and when staff were challenged to get the management, they agreed and also asked her to stop.
    She obviously feels aggrieved by this as she has gone to the papers. I know breastfeeding always brings about discussions and debates but I have to say I am with the Leisure Centre on this one. Why could she not have gone to the changing rooms? I don't see the comparison with urination but I think when I was a lifeguard that this is something I would have raised with my supervisor.
    Wondered what the world of DSers thought about this story?
    Link:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392654/No-petting-bombing--breastfeeding-New-mother-ordered-stop-feeding-son-waist-deep-swimming-pool.html

EDIT: Don't moan at me about it being a DM link! :p:D

In other words "I cannot get my own way. Give me money".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I could find my reply to the previous thread on a very similar story a few weeks back. So similar you might think there is some kind of co-ordinated campaign for women to breastfeed their infants in public pools / spas/ jacuzzis / hot tubs / whatevers.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I'm all for breastfeeding but some people think it's an affront to their personal liberty when they're told they can't do it whenever and wherever they feel like it.

Somebody aught to ask here if she bought enough for everyone.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Yea I think it was pretty much covered in the other thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is the same case the thread went many pages
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1855627&highlight=breastfeeding

Edit no it's a different case

Same story, different cast.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather not go in a swimming pool that has a chance of breast milk floating about in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wish I could find my reply to the previous thread on a very similar story a few weeks back. So similar you might think there is some kind of co-ordinated campaign for women to breastfeed their infants in public pools / spas/ jacuzzis / hot tubs / whatevers.

Yeah it does make me wonder if she (this case) did it on purpose knowing what would happen to jump on the bandwagon.

I can see this happening more and more and the women been more upset if they are not stopped
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o
    Apologies I didn't know about the other thread

I do agree with Mustabuster though - It can't just happen wherever they want it too. There has to be some boundaries surely.

Sorry again for duplicating a thread on a subject :o:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do agree with Mustabuster though - It can't just happen wherever they want it too. There has to be some boundaries surely.

It's not a duplicate. It's a different case although the story is very very similar.

No apology necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's not a duplicate. It's a different case although the story is very very similar.

No apology necessary.
    Yeah sorry I just assumed it was the same one

It is odd that it has happened twice in the past 2-3 weeks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah sorry I just assumed it was the same one

It is odd that it has happened twice in the past 2-3 weeks

Think the person who said about the bandwagon was correct! It just seems such a waste of an investigation to me. And because of the furore that has been created will all leisure centres now follow suit and we will see breastfeeding lanes? When does it end?
    Not sure it is something I would be comfortable with whilst doing my laps!!
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I know this is going to cause some discussion, but why is it acceptable for a women to breast feed in public (I have nothing against this by the way), but when a magazine features a women in a swim suit, we're told these must be covered up!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the person who said about the bandwagon was correct! It just seems such a waste of an investigation to me. And because of the furore that has been created will all leisure centres now follow suit and we will see breastfeeding lanes? When does it end?
    Not sure it is something I would be comfortable with whilst doing my laps!!

Paps? Baps? :p
  • Options
    StillAliveStillAlive Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like she was desperate to get in the papers. What a fool.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even from a health standpoint it can't be ideal - chlorine in the water she was bathing in first.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't eat a sandwich in a swimming pool either....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing women breastfeeding doesn't particularly bother me but a lot of the time I can't help but suspect that there's an element of showboating / "look at me" involved.

I can understand that they are probably proud and overjoyed at being a mother but really - to a stranger your little cherub really isn't anything special, it's just a baby (sorry!).

I recently went to a christening in a church and one woman was even breast-feeding her baby in the pews, rather than discreetly slip outside or off to a side room. Admittedly she was seated near the back, but even so ....

You never used to see it, and yet presumably babies didn't go without their essential feeds. Mothers were just more discreet about it and didn't feel the need to "show off" like so many of today's baby-wearers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must say I am relieved at the responses! Was slightly apprehensive that I would get vilified for daring to say I didn't agree a woman should breastfeed in a swimming pool!
    Don't tell me DS is becoming a logical forum!! :P
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must say I am relieved at the responses! Was slightly apprehensive that I would get vilified for daring to say I didn't agree a woman should breastfeed in a swimming pool!
    Don't tell me DS is becoming a logical forum!! :P

Don't be daft, DS is still insane.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is going to cause some discussion, but why is it acceptable for a women to breast feed in public (I have nothing against this by the way), but when a magazine features a women in a swim suit, we're told these must be covered up!!
    Who's ever said that women in swimsuits must be covered up? :confused: If they were, that'd be pretty much every women's fashion/ lifestyle mag - Vogue, Cosmo, Heat etc - screwed then.
  • Options
    StillAliveStillAlive Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the pictures, she certainly seems very happy she got in the papers. Wonder where she got her teeth whitened from. Brilliant job there.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like seeing wet boobies
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I'd rather not go in a swimming pool that has a chance of breast milk floating about in it.

Even if you were in a swimming pool where they allowed women to breastfeed, you'd still have a far higher chance of there being piss floating around in it than breast milk.

As far as this story goes, I'm all for women being allowed to breastfeed in public, but I think doing it in the actual pool is taking it a bit far. She should have been allowed to do it at the poolside though.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt the story is exactly as told. We only have the womans side of the story and I imagine the conversation went more like this.

Woman - starts feeding child
    Staff - Excuse me would you mind feeding your child elsewhere. The pool is not an appropriate place
    Woman - I'll feed my child wherever I like
    Staff - The pool is not appropriate.
    Woman - I don't care. My child is hungry
    Staff - There are more appropriate places such as the changing rooms
    Woman - But the toilets are in the changing rooms. I'm not feeding my child in the toilet
    Staff - You realise that there is urine in the pool. That's why we have to use chlorine. Urine and Chlorine isn't be good for a baby
    etc....

This is more likely why she is claiming about the staff saying they would stop a man pissing in the pool and breastfeeding is no worse. I imagine the woman got herself in such s strop that she only heard what she wanted to.

I'm very pro breastfeeding in public. Women should be able to do so pretty much anywhere but a swimming pool with all its chemicals is not the right place. The side of the pool should have been suitable.