BT Vision - Any good reviews!?!?!

Ordered BT Vision earlier this week but wish I'd have known about this particular forum first! Looking through the pages it seems 70-80% of posts are very critical of the V-Box performance. Every other post describes boxes crashing/freezing etc.

Positive posts seem very few and far between. Bearing all this in mind is there anyone on here with a something good to say about BT Vision? Hope what I'm reading isn't typical of BT Vision but the sheer number of criticisms does give me some doubt.

I'd be really interested to know about any positive thoughts about the performance of the V-Box.

Anyone?

Comments

• gekornro1gekornro1 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    richard67 wrote: »
    Hope what I'm reading isn't typical of BT Vision but the sheer number of criticisms does give me some doubt.

Do you know what.... In this instance I actually think the general consensus of all BT Vision owners (regardless of them being on this forum or not) is that it has a lot of problems, bugs and annoyances.

When it works it's the dog's boll*cks but when it doesn't it causes a a lot of headaches. Not sure what people who are not tech savvy and reading up on the box on the internet would do in these instances....

I only paid £30 for it so i'm not to bothered but if I paid £90 like most other people on this forum I would have been seriously angry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I think you must remember that in the main, it is only when people have problems that they come into this forum and ask for help etc. I would respectfully suggest that there are many more happy users out there than unhappy ones.

It would be nice though, to hear from some of the happy ones just to boost flagging confidence after reading many tales of woe.
    J
  • Crease2000Crease2000 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had problems with the VOD and cancelled my subscription to the TV package, but I'm going to keep it positive because I know that BT will sort it out.

As a PVR, I find it excellent. Any missed recordings or ends of tv shows cut off have not been the fault of the V Box, but more due to programmes over-running/starting late, etc. I 99% get around this by manually adding addition recording time. Just like a Video Recorder.

But, the series record facility has been a real God send for me. No more rushing home from work to catch a show. Infact, it's probably true to say that the way I watch TV now has probably changed. I rarely watch anything now at the scheduled time, but catch up with it later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the box since early Jan 2007 and for the first 3 or 4 months it was terrible. A lot of the recent posts from new users seem to be pointing towards the nstalation/activation issues being sorted, the non arial related pixelization problems seem to be sorted and the box seems to be a lot more stable than it was. Probably like a lot of posters I'm getting the occasional crash but I'm willing to put up with it because I'm not willing to part with 40 odd hours of recordings. i think its a good product.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeffrn wrote: »
    I think you must remember that in the main, it is only when people have problems that they come into this forum and ask for help etc. I would respectfully suggest that there are many more happy users out there than unhappy ones.

It would be nice though, to hear from some of the happy ones just to boost flagging confidence after reading many tales of woe.
    J

I am a happy Vision user, Simple, but Happy.

Seriously Vision is not as bad as SKY+ was when that was released. I can state that catergorically as I am related to one of the largest independent Sky
    Installers in the country. I am on my 4th SKY+ box.

Very similar problems to Vision now. Lock ups when hurried. Sky+ fails more recordings even now.

Lets not forget, Vision is free apart from the installation fee, unless of course you use On Demand.

Vision as a PVR is a far superior product I use SKY+ and Vision.

So if you don't want a free Freeview PVR send it back or don't get it in the first place. If not accept it for what it is. A new(Technology superior) FREE product. Give BT a break.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    worrall98 wrote: »
    Seriously Vision is not as bad as SKY+ was when that was released. I can state that catergorically as I am related to one of the largest independent Sky
    Installers in the country. I am on my 4th SKY+ box.

Very similar problems to Vision now. Lock ups when hurried. Sky+ fails more recordings even now.

Lets not forget, Vision is free apart from the installation fee, unless of course you use On Demand.

I agree. I’ve had sky+ since the early days. Anyone remember the 17 minute bug? The thing that was annoying about sky+ was it was plagued with problems yet you still had to pay £10 per month for it. The difference between then and now tho is people now have a choice. Hence many are ditching BT and moving over to sky+
    Vision as a PVR is a far superior product I use SKY+ and Vision.

You think so? I disagree. Global padding? The ability to see what you’ve already watched and what you’ve not yet watched? Being able to view more than 5 recordings on one page at a time? One touch delete?
    So if you don't want a free Freeview PVR send it back or don't get it in the first place. If not accept it for what it is. A new(Technology superior) FREE product. Give BT a break.

I agree. Good point.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian_F wrote: »
    I agree. I’ve had sky+ since the early days. Anyone remember the 17 minute bug? The thing that was annoying about sky+ was it was plagued with problems yet you still had to pay £10 per month for it. The difference between then and now tho is people now have a choice. Hence many are ditching BT and moving over to sky+

You think so? I disagree. Global padding? The ability to see what you’ve already watched and what you’ve not yet watched? Being able to view more than 5 recordings on one page at a time? One touch delete?

I agree. Good point.

Not bad 2 out of three partially agreeing. Vision is not one touch delete. Mine always asks me to confirm. Sky + only asks if you have pressed blue button to keep the recording. In reality they have there different ways of doing things. Personally I prefer Vision.

Nobody is locked ino a contract with Vision, unlike Sky +. Bt Broadband excepted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    After a few weeks waiting for the "Resolution Team" to do what I suggested three weeks ago ****See Last Paragraph **** I must say I am extremely pleased with my set up.
    I use it primarily for Larry Sanders Show and many BBC 7 radio shows but during the football season I will use it to record Champions League/UEFA Cup games which will save annoying my good lady :) .
    Only slight criticism is that you cannot fast forward on an audio recording (BBC7). Not a problem though but would be nice to be able to cut out the scheitte at the start (continuity announcers etc)
    That said, well posted anyway :) , great wee system and very easy to use so well done BT Vision and lets hope that many more channels are added in the near future :)

PS

If any new user has had Vision installed and still does not have the recording option in the menu call the helpline and tell them that "MY ACCOUNT/SUBSCRIPTION NEEDS UPDATING/AUTHORISING" as that is exactly the problem I had. Two hubs/three vision boxes and from day one I said to the engineer and the call centre stafff that it looks like an account problem (Which it was)
    Shortly after telling them, they checking this, the system works perfectly.

Anywhoooo folks,great wee system and I would, and have , recommended it . Plus I have a 160 Gig HDD to scavange in the future if it goesnipples up :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Cheers all, feel a little better after the replies! The main theme of the responses seems to be that the glitches will be sorted in time for the most part. I'll happily go with that as the deal only cost £30 installation.

In a few weeks I'll have a real idea of how it performs so I'll have to save my judgement until then but for £30 it won't be the end of the world if it plays up I suppose. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Only just starting to look at Vision.
    This may sound daft, but what I can't get my head round is

Is this a product for the TV

or

Is this a product you watch on your PC

Can anybody help on BT Broadband.
    I am with F2s as an ISP, who have just been sold by Pipex to Tiscali. I have no desire to remain with Tiscali, so am in the throws of getting my MAC and finding a new ISP. How good is BT Broadband?

It may just pay me to go down the BT route for Vision and Broadband and watch the football as well, and cancel Sky completely.

Any positive thoughts?

Many thanks
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a product for your TV, but it uses your broadband connection (both for EPG/recording sceduling and On Demand programming).

At the most basic level it is a Freeview PVR - i.e. a box that sits under your TV and allows you to watch Freeview broadcasts via your aerial and also allows you to record them to the built in Hard Drive. You can get similar products from makers like Humax too.

What makes BT Vision different is that as well as being able to watch and record Freeview, you also have access to a whole load of On Demand programming too. These are programmes that are stored on BT's servers, and through your BT broadband connection you can stream these programmes to your BT Vision box and watch them on the TV in realtime (as well as pause / ffwd / rewind).

The On Demand side of things is completely optional - you don't have to watch any of it if you don't want to and just use the BT Vision box as a Freeview PVR. Considering it only costs a £30 setup fee (and possibly not even that depending on what BT offer you) this makes it an absolute steal since similar products (without the On Demand options of BT Vision) cost upwards of £100-200 - and as a PVR BT Vision is actually pretty high end and has features that many other PVR's don't (e.g. HDMI out, Series Linking).

The catch of course is that you have to sign up to BT Total Broadband (for a minimum of 12 months), but if you are considering moving ISP anyway that may not be such a bad thing. I had a few initial teething problems with my migration, but overall things have been ok since then - and when things are working both the broadband and BT Vision are very good. On the few occasions I have had to call BT Broadband/Vision support the people I have spoken to (mostly their Indian call centre, but occasionally people in the UK) have been polite, and despite having to work to a script, do eventually get there in the end. Just be sure to check out 0800 alternatives to the 0845 numbers they give you!
    Forum Member
    Thanks Simon for taking the time to explain.

I have Sky currently, not freeview and do not have an aerial.
    Will it work through the sky dish?

I suppose my one thought is not wanting to sign up for broadband for a long time incase BT are crap. I don't want to keep on changing ISP. A pain in the a*se.

Les
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I've had bt broadband a few years now and apart from 1 afternoon with no service due to a fault on the local network
    i can say i wouldn't change to another isp....price wise i always have believed you get what you pay for.
    Vbox wise i have had the same problems as everybody else but not frequent and am happy that BT will sort them out.
    Forum Member
    Spoke with BT and in fairness BT Vision with the full programme and BT Broadband unlimited works out at no more than Sky TV plus Setanta.

So BT wins out.

The only drawback is that Vision takes 1.75mb of the bandwith and with 3 other PC's being used a lot, then broadband will run like a dog.

Plus, I would probably have to buy an aerial, which i don't want,unless anybody has experience of using the sky dish to recieve. Anybody :-)

Othewise it looks like I will have to use that programme called Sopcast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Villan wrote: »
    The only drawback is that Vision takes 1.75mb of the bandwith and with 3 other PC's being used a lot, then broadband will run like a dog.

Plus, I would probably have to buy an aerial, which i don't want,unless anybody has experience of using the sky dish to recieve. Anybody :-)

Vision only consumes bandwidth when viewing VOD. Normal freeview viewing doesn't use any.

You _do_ need an aerial if you want to view freeview. I don't believe you need one to view VOD but then you wouldn't want to watch only VOD, would you?
    Forum Member
    Is Football VOD?
    If so yes :-)

I don't really need Freeview, as I already have the Sky dish and box, and by cancelling with Sky, I have freeview. If that makes sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    The Villan wrote: »

It's 1.5 Mb/s and only when using VoD leaving 512 Kb/s for Internet use which would be OK for browsing as long you don't all hit enter at once.

The Sky dish won't work. It is for DVB-S reception and Freeview is DVB-T - completely different.
    Forum Member
    It's 1.5 Mb/s and only when using VoD leaving 512 Kb/s for Internet use which would be OK for browsing as long you don't all hit enter at once.

The Sky dish won't work. It is for DVB-S reception and Freeview is DVB-T - completely different.
    Thanks
    My wife has to do a fair amount of translation work on external servers so it might not be a good idea.
    Its a shame the Sky dish can't be used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    it all depends on what your bb siganl is like atm, and weather or not you own a decent router, the vision box comes with a home hub and after initialisation you can ditch the hub so long as your router ip is set tothe same value as the hh, the issue of bb split is nullified to a large extent by having more than a meg connection, but in any case the vision service requires less than 1meg and indeed is limited in peek times to this value (typically highest useage times are around 1630>2030) if you have a decent routerit is my understanding that you can connection share at a set level so your vision box only ever gets a limited service, that said if your after getting something down the satelite route you would be better off looking into freesat, it offers more chanels and for a rather much higher one off fee gives you hd pvr, alhtough i dont think it offers the premium services at all.

if you use the option of your own router make sure your on the unlimited bb choice sicne for soem reason there system doesnt recognise htat he vision usage is not your pc data usage /

also if yor going for a new bb supplier +net , orange or sky are probably a better place to look as things stand right now with speed probelms and capacity managment issues with bt as an isp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    i've had bt vision for ~2years.
    was fortunate enough to avoid most of the problems that plagued it.

as a catchup service - v.good.
    picture quality is good IMO.

as a PVR - i find it's great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I've had it since the start and in the beginning it was pretty poor.
    Constant reboots, backend server issues and poor VOD.
    But if you are an early adopter this is what you expect.

However as much as it pains me to say it (i deal with BT at a corporate level and believe me the service is no better even when paying thousands a year) the vision guys and support have took the knocks from us and now supply a really good product. Yes you need to reboot occasionally - it's a computer at the end of the day and ALL computers need a reboot every now and then.

It has changed the way i 'watch' tv as in i don't watch it scheduled, I record or vod at my conveniance.
    So much so that my BT broadband speed is pretty poor and my contract is due for renewal. Vision is going to make me stay with BT pure and simple. Without it I would be switching suppliers but i would miss this service too much.

Having said that i'm still going to try and get a new vbox out of them even though at this point in time the difference is pretty much cosmetic. Vbox 1 has aged badly on the looks department. :-)
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    nano resurected a thrzad thats 2 ye
    Forum Member
    nano resurected a thread thats 2 years old :D
    Forum Member
    DoomKmPa wrote: »
    I've had it since the start and in the beginning it was pretty poor.
    Constant reboots, backend server issues and poor VOD.
    But if you are an early adopter this is what you expect.

However as much as it pains me to say it (i deal with BT at a corporate level and believe me the service is no better even when paying thousands a year) the vision guys and support have took the knocks from us and now supply a really good product. Yes you need to reboot occasionally - it's a computer at the end of the day and ALL computers need a reboot every now and then.

It has changed the way i 'watch' tv as in i don't watch it scheduled, I record or vod at my conveniance.
    So much so that my BT broadband speed is pretty poor and my contract is due for renewal. Vision is going to make me stay with BT pure and simple. Without it I would be switching suppliers but i would miss this service too much.

Having said that i'm still going to try and get a new vbox out of them even though at this point in time the difference is pretty much cosmetic. Vbox 1 has aged badly on the looks department. :-)

Yup agreed, it does look a bit plain, other boxes that use the CE platform all have LED matrix screens fitted. and do other bits n bobs.

I'd like to have the usb keyboard working.
  • betsvigi9betsvigi9 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I'm very happy with BT Vision. Great picture quality, a wide variety of VOD to watch, although I would recommend subscribing to the TV package as a minimum and the PVR works pretty well too. I've never had a missed recording, although you do have to watch out for live programmes over running. Last night for example, the BBC sports personality of the year programme went over time by 10 minutes and had I relied on it, I would have missed the last few minutes of Small Country. Because of the way BTs epg works it doesn't cope with such overruns, but they are quite rare. Actually, that is pretty much the only complaint I can think of, apart from duplicate recording of linked series, which is merely a little irritating. I've just passed my first 12 months as a BT Vision subscriber and I haven't regretted it once.