Options

Channel 4 Educating Yorkshire

Comments

• Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jac and his mates, Funny how they were unpopular at school, now they've never been so popular. :D
  • Options
    mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Well I think he should have let her go to the prom. Anyway she got 13 GCSE's but it didn't say what grades. Isn't E a pass these days?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Well I think he should have let her go to the prom. Anyway she got 13 GCSE's but it didn't say what grades. Isn't E a pass these days?

Why should he have let her go to the prom?
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweet back from the school to say that they don't tolerate bullying ..... hmmmmm
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I am a teacher and if I had behaved in any way like that headteacher, I'd leave the profession, ashamed, and feeling a failure. He was so egotistical, and so completely perverse in applying double standards, it beggared belief.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ALL schools say they don't tolerate bullying but in all/many it still occurs and not a lot of punishment happens. I should know, I was at my secondary school between 2001 - 2006 and spent the entire time being bullied by different people. It was a constant losing battle at times and then add on top the shit I went through, it's a wonder I didn't become unwell sooner than I actually did to be quite honest. Thankfully despite all that, I was determined to remain one of their 'good hard working' students and most of the staff seemed to like me which is good :p Thankfully I had a lot of emotional support from my form tutor & another teacher which helped.

But yes....bullying occurs too easily and not hard enough punishments for it. Couldn't believe Georgia and her stinking attitude. She reminds me of far too many girls from my own school days.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweet back from the school to say that they don't tolerate bullying ..... hmmmmm

Well I think we have all seen that the do tolerate it. It is on film, so how that can continue to claim that they don't is gob-smacking. Maybe they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand fully what bullying is.

Have to say the Head Teacher gives the impression that he might have indulged in similar behaviour in his youth. The fact that her referred to the children that actually got on with their work as geeks, swots and nerds speaks volumes. And he definitely had a greater affinity with Georgina than with Jac.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike_dunn wrote: »

Employers want A-C around here, they are not interested in anything below that. I would say E equates to a basic skills need. I think now if you don't get A-C in Maths and English Mr Grove is saying you have to resit
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say to you all questioning her grades, this is something you need to think about. Most schools only allow you to do that many GCSEs if you can cope with it and are achieving good enough grades really. So yes her behaviour was far from perfect but she could be quite clever or more intelligent than you're assuming. Some people just have a problem with authority unfortunately and ruin their chances at a good education.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweet back and ask them if they have watched their programme and what stamping on someone's head and name calling is known as at their school.

I would do it but I am a twitter dunce, oh hang on have I missed out? Does Thornhill do a GCSE on Twitter or texting? .........
  • Options
    tco200tco200 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think some people are being a bit harsh on hairdressers with their comments

My wife makes a decent living from it and works bloody hard as well
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tco200 wrote: »

Nobody is being harsh on hairdressers.

They are harsh on these girls who all go and do hairdressing courses, because they think it is easy and they can't do anything else. As was said, these courses have massive drop out rates because it isn't just cutting a bit of hair and talking about where they are going on their holidays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I used to be like jac back in my school days a decade ago. I was called the class 'boffin' and it always got on my nerves because I didn't understand how being good at school could be seen as a bad thing. It was a girls school and typically bitchy. Unfortunately my form class were naturally low in ability and remind me of the girls in the programme. I didn't connect well with my class, I was just the quiet nerd who was painfully shy and took whatever criticism I got from them. I had social anxiety, had a small group of friends, got on well with teachers, especially my English teachers who would always talk to me like I was an equal. Never EVER expected I'd be in the teaching profession myself but college was such a different experience for me, the teachers were so inspirational I decided I had to become a teacher myself and try and help students the way I was helped. Now I work in a really good school where it's a good thing to be intelligent and encouraged amongst the kids, and 'firm but fair' is the motto for teachers. I get on well with all my students especially my form, I think it is possible to be strict and a disciplinarian as well as a friend. At the end of every school year I get cards from kids and I get a lot of 'You're my second mum' comments which their parents always bring up on parents evenings too! I left school in 2004 with As and A*s but miserable. The way Jac described it (ticking time bomb) Was how i felt a lot of the time. I moved on and I'm helping others now. Wish that school had a better approach to the bullying so that other kids don't have to go through school feeling like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think anyone has been harsh on hairdressers, my post was just the opposite saying teenagers have this idea that its pink and fluffy when in reality they haven't got a clue how much they have to work, learn and concentrate, which is the reason for high drop out rates.

Hey, my hairdresser makes such a good living he commutes from Spain to his salon in Yorkshire so I am not even mentioning wages!
  • Options
    tco200tco200 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough I misread then maybe

I doubt this Madame will ever go into it anyway we all know the way she's heading
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Tweet back and ask them if they have watched their programme and what stamping on someone's head and name calling is known as at their school.

I would do it but I am a twitter dunce, oh hang on have I missed out? Does Thornhill do a GCSE on Twitter or texting? .........

I have done ... they have asked me to mail them if I have any concerns, and they will respond. TBH the programme spoke for itself,
  • Options
    demfedemfe Posts: 15,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgia more or less admitted to stamping on Jac's head. Does the Head realise how dangerous that is? He should have called the police and let them deal with her...
  • Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Well I think we have all seen that the do tolerate it. It is on film, so how that can continue to claim that they don't is gob-smacking. Maybe they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand fully what bullying is.

Have to say the Head Teacher gives the impression that he might have indulged in similar behaviour in his youth. The fact that her referred to the children that actually got on with their work as geeks, swots and nerds speaks volumes. And he definitely had a greater affinity with Georgina than with Jac.

I think he is still indulging in that behaviour..... the way he shut that other teacher down who was basically agreeing with the group of kids that went to stick up for Jac, spoke volumes to me....
    I have done ... they have asked me to mail them if I have any concerns, and they will respond. TBH the programme spoke for itself,

I have noticed the way they are defending themselves and asking people to write or call in with their concerns...... quite frankly I wouldn't give them the time of day after what I saw tonight.. I'd be more inclined to contact the education authority responsible for that school.........

I can honestly say that if I was Jac Henry's parents, I would be looking at ways I could sue that school for failure of 'duty of care' :mad:
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    The Head thinks he iz kewl cuz ee is dahn wiv der kidz...whereas I think he is a complete buffoon. :yawn: :sleep:

He was on the Titchmarsh show the other day, with Mr Titch blowing smoke up his proverbial arse, telling him how wonderful he and his fellow teachers were and how great the school and its pupils are......

I went to an ordinary secondary modern schooI, where all pupils were offered "an education" to afford them a career after leaving school. Discipline was tight, corporal punishment upheld for those that chose to ignore the school rules and the teachers were just that - your teacher, not "your Bezzie mate".

Pupils were expected to be respectful, polite and disciplined. Failure to comply meant a visit to the Headmaster or the Head Mistress's office, where sitting outside either of their rooms, waiting for the command to enter was as great a punishment, for the sheer humiliation factor of being stared at by teachers and pupils walking past, knowing that "you were for it". Thankfully, I don't know what happened once you had entered their room, as I chose to follow the school's behavioural policy in fear of what my mum would do or say to me on receipt of a letter home, informing her of my wrongdoing. My parents were always on the side of the teachers!

I left school in 1976 after completing my O' levels and had to head out into the big wide world and get a job. I am grateful to my school for envoking the simple rules of life, learning how to respect in order to be respected, to understand that there are rules in life that you have to abide by, and disciplining yourself to follow those rules will enable you to live, work and enjoy your life....

Some of those children on this programme will never have that ....

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Jac will never be rid of the little toe rag, Because when he starts working and paying taxes they will go to fund her and her baby.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

Owww sorry if I gave that impression. Hairdressing is no walk in the park, when you think of the work involved - starting as a junior, washing hair, prepping, concentrating hard on the cut, dealing with some very pernickety and fussy customers, working on your feet all day.
    Proper hairdressers do an ace job.

I think people were having a go at the lazy gobshites like Georgia who'd do it because they like make-up and hair products and think the subject is basically like preparing a mate for a night out. They'd never cut it as a real hairdresser.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Re posters saying that they cant believe the way the head treated Jac Henry compared to the head stamping Georgia,

Ministers are already looking at closing all womens prisons and punishing all but the worst cases in the community

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10015766/Isnt-it-time-to-abolish-most-womens-prisons.html

Perhaps he is preparing Jac Henry for the real world, where men are regularly sent to prison for crimes that women receive much lesser sentences for.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter had to change schools when she was 8,( we came from a different part of the country). By the time she went to secondary school, she & a group of her friends were called snobs & swots, because they chose to work hard, keep out of trouble & didn't speak with the faux estuary English accent adopted by many in that school.

Luckily she & her group of friends managed to rise above it & all went on to further education, whereas their tormentors mostly ended up in the same situation as that awful Georgia.!
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is disingenuous, stage managed garbage, and I suspect many of the scenes are scripted. I've no doubt it appeals to TOWIE and Made In Chelsea devotees.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »

Yes, I picked up on that too and meant to mention it in my post last night.