Sheila Hancock

2»

Comments

• kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    Yes she did.
    You can add me too..I've never 'liked' her either (not that shes worried about my opnion)

I can't say what it is either...it could be the endless interviews she's done talking about her pain, loneliness, widow hood on and on.
    My dad's been widowed 20 years btw mum was 47 when she died. She talks like she's the only one

My Dad dropped dead at a Football match years ago and my Mum has been a widow for ages. She has never gone on about being lonely etc. She obviously missed him a great deal as she showed me her diary once and each day had a note at the bottom saying she missed him.

Just read recently an interview with Sheila going on about looking forward to dying or something. Instead of feeling sympathetic it just made me irritated. She's not alone, she's got a career and family and money.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has always been a drama queen. I remember her giving a interview many years ago on the birth of her child and it was much more dramatic than anyone's else birth experience. :D

I quite like her but as long as you know she is the queen of exaggeration and loves the drama of it all, even more so now she is elderly.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »

P.S. I don't agree about judging someone on their 'mumsiness' just because of their age and/or sex.

Agreed. Women don't suddenly change their personalities once they hit 70. If they weren't "mumsy" before they won't be "mumsy" " after. I think this shows a weird attitude to old age, to be honest,
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    I saw that and couldnt believe what I was watching, she was horrendous to the young comedian (who actually has OCD type anxiety) and very personal about him.
    Yep it was Jon Richardson.

Standups go though the club system to become famous and can easily handle hecklers and difficult situations. He could have easily shot her down but handled the situation coming out of it the better person.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad dropped dead at a Football match years ago and my Mum has been a widow for ages. She has never gone on about being lonely etc. She obviously missed him a great deal as she showed me her diary once and each day had a note at the bottom saying she missed him.

Just read recently an interview with Sheila going on about looking forward to dying or something. Instead of feeling sympathetic it just made me irritated. She's not alone, she's got a career and family and money.

That's so sad, must have been upsetting for you to read it :(
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I admire Shelia as she saw BOTH husbands die of cancer, had breast cancer herself and her husband John hit the bottle and they separated when she needed him the most. She was very forgiving about it all, surprisingly. Saying John had a terrible fear of abandonment and that is why he reacted that way when he realised she had a serious illness. BUT I too have become a bit bored with her advice to widows, never taking into consideration that all widows do not have her bank balance and family support. She wrote a book about travelling alone but it wasn't very realistic advice for the average older woman. She is fortunate to have the good health in her 80s to still be able to work and memorise scripts etc. BUT she is a fighter and has experienced a lot of pain in her life.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I don't particularly like her, but by most accounts the show she was in with Keeley was dreadful. Sheila has done plenty of plays and musicals without any hassle so surely Keeley must take some responsibility?

P.S. I don't agree about judging someone on their 'mumsiness' just because of their age and/or sex.

I saw the show and left at the interval. It was dreadful and I would have left earlier if I could! Hancock was worse than Hawes on the stage. Lee Evans was pretty bad too.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read The Two of Us - wanting to find out more about John Thaw who I really admired.

I was very disappointed with it - way too much about her and endless name-dropping. She was happy to be brutally honest about him but hardly painted herself in a bad light at all.

I didn't feel that it was a reliable biography at all and was left wondering whether he would even have approved.

I do not like the woman at all.
  • WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I read The Two of Us - wanting to find out more about John Thaw who I really admired.

I was very disappointed with it - way too much about her and endless name-dropping. She was happy to be brutally honest about him but hardly painted herself in a bad light at all.

I didn't feel that it was a reliable biography at all and was left wondering whether he would even have approved.

I do not like the woman at all.

I'm sure she's devastated.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it's not just me that dislikes her. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I don't like about her, but whenever I see her being interviewed she just comes over as being a bit unpleasant.