Anyone miserable this xmas?

missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
or is it just me?

its my first chrismas as a married woman and my mother in law is making my life hell :(

i can't be bothered with it all and i just wish it was over.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Nope, not at all, my family are on their way home and I am happy as Larry. Why is she making you miserable? Is she staying with you?
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I am.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the matter Missloo? :(

I'm indifferent to Christmas.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    missloo wrote: »
    or is it just me?

its my first chrismas as a married woman and my mother in law is making my life hell :(

i can't be bothered with it all and i just wish it was over.

Put some laxatives in her lunch, you wont be able to get to your bathroom but she'll be out of your hair.

My son HATES Christmas, dreads it, can't stand it. He's autistic and the whole day is out of routine, there are surprises, he hates surprises, when little was terrified of Santa. He's a teen now but still hates it. So I've told him our Christmas starts on Boxing Day when we'll go out spending his Christmas spondoolies.

Happy Boxing Day everyone.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is so rotten for you and I sympathise. What is she doing? And is your OH supportive? Because the divide and conquer routine is as old as the hills.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Nope, not at all, my family are on their way home and I am happy as Larry. Why is she making you miserable? Is she staying with you?

we are staying with them as we are building our own house and our caravan water is frozen.

she is just so demanding on hubby - she should heed the saying - a son's a son until he takes a wife :(
    Forum Member
    I used to dread Xmas and think that there should be a thread about those who don't enoy it. I do now and do my best to get my son to enjoy the day.

I used to hate it as we lost Dad at Christmas time so it was always tinged with sadness until my son came along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    Put some laxatives in her lunch, you wont be able to get to your bathroom but she'll be out of your hair.

My son HATES Christmas, dreads it, can't stand it. He's autistic and the whole day is out of routine, there are surprises, he hates surprises, when little was terrified of Santa. He's a teen now but still hates it. So I've told him our Christmas starts on Boxing Day when we'll go out spending his Christmas spondoolies.

Happy Boxing Day everyone.:D

Bless him. I used to know a chap whose son hated birthdays for the same reason. In fact if he heard someone say happy birthday on the TV he became very distressed.
    Forum Member
    we are staying with them as we are building our own house and our caravan water is frozen.

she is just so demanding on hubby - she should heed the saying - a son's a son until he takes a wife :(

Probably too late now but a nice break in a hotel sounds like an option, though I'm sure it would cause more ructions.

You're both victims of her hospitality, you'll have to put up with it unless hubby speaks out and pray the water thaws sharpish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they don't. They want to be the prime focus of their son's life for ever. The centre of attention. Does your husband know how much it annoys you?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

Some MILs find it hard to let go, just smile, put on a brave face and keep wishing for that day when you are both alone for good.

This is our second Xmas without my MIL,hard as it was to get on,I still miss her, :(make the most of the those years, I know it can be difficult but she is only how she is because she loves your husband as much as you do.

Good luck, hope it gets easier for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're both victims of her hospitality.

I love that phrase - it is so apt!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I cannot stand Christmas. It's nothing but an ordeal and a chore. New Year is no better. I cannot wait until January 2nd when all it's all over.
    Forum Member
    Bless him. I used to know a chap whose son hated birthdays for the same reason. In fact if he heard someone say happy birthday on the TV he became very distressed.

He's got a compulsive streak a mile wide and has reserved half of Argos over the last week only to change his mind and reserve something else.

So far we've had to have a Blackberry, which we found out was the same as an IPOD and a mobile, so then we've HAAAADD to have an IPAD Touch untl he realised that would be £430 quid down the drain if he dropped it, then we've HAAAAAAAAAAADDD to have a new fishing pole.

It's a nightmare!!!!

Today it's £50 darts that he HAAASSSS to have until I've reminded him he already has some expensive darts.

I am slowly going bald but still have his Xmas dosh intact!! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always say that Christmas brings together people in one room who shouldn't even live in the same country!
    Forum Member
    I love that phrase - it is so apt!

Why thank you kind Star!
    Forum Member
    I always say that Christmas brings together people in one room who shouldn't even live in the same country!

That's so true. I hate guests who slurp soup, tea, or slurp anything then try to answer you with their mouths full of their Christmas Dinner!!!!

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - its just been an ongoing row. we were supposed to go to my parents for xmas, but we couldnt then because the in laws were supposed to go away and if they went away we had to stay at home and feed the animals (we live on a farm - unfortunately we are buildng our house about 500 yards from theirs), which was fine as it would be nice to have our first married xmas completely alone. but now they arent going away, and i can't go home cos they haven't made other plans and they just expect us to stay so they aren't alone.

phew - bit of a rant there - thanks if you got through it.

hubby knows it drives me mad, but he's such a mummy's boy. Why oh why did i marry a woman's youngest son?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's so true. I hate guests who slurp soup, tea, or slurp anything then try to answer you with their mouths full of their Christmas Dinner!!!!

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can go one better. Have you ever seen anyone spit out bits of Christmas pudding then line up the bits they don't like round the rim of their plate?
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now that's wisdom.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone - its just been an ongoing row. we were supposed to go to my parents for xmas, but we couldnt then because the in laws were supposed to go away and if they went away we had to stay at home and feed the animals (we live on a farm - unfortunately we are buildng our house about 500 yards from theirs), which was fine as it would be nice to have our first married xmas completely alone. but now they arent going away, and i can't go home cos they haven't made other plans and they just expect us to stay so they aren't alone.

hubby knows it drives me mad, but he's such a mummy's boy. Why oh why did i marry a woman's youngest son?

Can you go to your folks Boxing Day, just for a break?

Youngest son, only son, eldest son. The key word there is son.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can go one better. Have you ever seen anyone spit out bits of Christmas pudding then line up the bits they don't like round the rim of their plate?

This reminds me of my sister!

Not so much the spitting, she is too much of a lady for that, but when we growing up she was such a fussy eater she always picked bits out of her dinner and left it on the rim of her plate. One day my dad got fed up with her and threw a fork across the table and it stuck in her hand!!:eek:

I think she still has a pronged scar!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Now that's wisdom.........

Ah thanks! :o:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How about you go to your parents for Boxing day and stay for a few days.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was all happy and buzzed up for Christmas last weekend especially after all that snow. Then someone very kindly gave me the real not an imposter influenza virus for Christmas.

Now I'm miserable as sin. Bah humbug.