Options

Engelbert Humperdink 'Love Will Set You Free' (UK Eurovision Entry)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring and instantly forgetable amongst the myriad of ballads on show this year. I think those that are saying it will finish in the top 5 are in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I definitely agree with that. I don't believe that the whole competition is politically driven, but I do believe some countries will always give eachother 12 points. Two countries that are terrible for it are Serbia and Bosnia & Herzegovina who will trade 12 points every year. And I was delighted in 2009 when Serbia didn't qualify mu hahaha:D

I fully stand by the occasions when Europe have neglected giving Uk many points because our songs have been terrible. I was even surprised in 2010 when Ireland gave us (4) points. I know they at least give us something, but even 4 points was too kind of them to give us :p

In cases like Bosnia/Serbia it's not even a cultural thing, it's more to do with the numbers of people of Serbian/Bosnian origin living in the other country.

In Bosnia, for instance, something like 30-40% of the population are actually Serbs. The country is basically divided in half between a Bosnian/Croatian side and a Serbian side (Republic of Srpska). It's not that Bosnians are sympathising with Serbia for cultural reasons, it's that a huge number of "Bosnians" are actually Serbs. We like to moan about this, but if huge numbers of British people lived in another country we'd all vote for ourselves as well. It's just one of the unfortunate things about using a telephone voting system.
  • Options
    babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to hear it live before making judgement..
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I wanted the lyrics to be "Oooh there's an Englebert standing in the room. Oooh there's there's an Englebert in the room".

Haha :D:D:D
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    In cases like Bosnia/Serbia it's not even a cultural thing, it's more to do with the numbers of people of Serbian/Bosnian origin living in the other country.

In Bosnia, for instance, something like 30-40% of the population are actually Serbs. The country is basically divided in half between a Bosnian/Croatian side and a Serbian side (Republic of Srpska). It's not that Bosnians are sympathising with Serbia for cultural reasons, it's that a huge number of "Bosnians" are actually Serbs. We like to moan about this, but if huge numbers of British people lived in another country we'd all vote for ourselves as well. It's just one of the unfortunate things about using a telephone voting system.

Ahh, I had considered the possibility of that because they are very closely linked. I think the one thing that pisses me right off when it comes to countries that trade 12 points are when they blatantly announce
    "And the 12 points go to... OUR NEIGHBOURS ... bla bla bla" It's frustrating, it as if you's have planned to give your points to them:mad:
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »
    Really boring song, and the music doesn't build to much either.

Decent vocal performance, but it will be a 18-year-old cute girl or guy who will win with some lame tune.

Belguim?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Personally I like it.

Our best song since Katrina and the Waves.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a blessed change from this desperation to try and be 'current' all the time that I think we only abandoned with the ALW entry. Pumping out mainstream, instantly forgettable generic 'pop' has hardly served us well in the recent past.

This is why I can't understand calls from those who wish to constantly go down the contemporary route. Look at the winner of 2009 fro example. If that song was our entry (save the accent) people would be complaining that it isn't contemporary enough. There isn't some anorexic 18 year old on stage to a jungle beat, or some such.

We clearly have no idea how to win Eurovision. Putting on an entry that sounds as if it would fit right in with the white noise of Radio 1, as we have in recent years, is clearly CLEARY not the way.

We finished 5th in 2009 which, for us, was a great result. Slow, thoughtful song with a good melody and someone who can execute.

Just because Eurovision is generally full of generic pop-crap, doesn't mean we have to submit to that ourselves. If we do, how do we ever expect to stand out? This song will stand out and also, I shouldn't wonder, get a hell of a lot of votes from the over 35s

Think about it, there'll be a lot of songs that appeal to the 'yoof' market. We have a very good song this year that I think will stand out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I think it's a blessed change from this desperation to try and be 'current' all the time that I think we only abandoned with the ALW entry. Pumping out mainstream, instantly forgettable generic 'pop' has hardly served us well in the recent past.

This is why I can't understand calls from those who wish to constantly go down the contemporary route. Look at the winner of 2009 fro example. If that song was our entry (save the accent) people would be complaining that it isn't contemporary enough. There isn't some anorexic 18 year old on stage to a jungle beat, or some such.

We clearly have no idea how to win Eurovision. Putting on an entry that sounds as if it would fit right in with the white noise of Radio 1, as we have in recent years, is clearly CLEARY not the way.

We finished 5th in 2009 which, for us, was a great result. Slow, thoughtful song with a good melody and someone who can execute.

Just because Eurovision is generally full of generic pop-crap, doesn't mean we have to submit to that ourselves. If we do, how do we ever expect to stand out? This song will stand out and also, I shouldn't wonder, get a hell of a lot of votes from the over 35s

Think about it, there'll be a lot of songs that appeal to the 'yoof' market. We have a very good song this year that I think will stand out.

I agree. The great thing about Eurovision is that anything goes, especially since the juries have been back in the contest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Judging on the songs alone, Jedward poop over Engelbert. This song is just boring, outdated and that forced key change towards the end is laughable.

BUT, He'll be able to pull it off live.. Jedward are going to flop once more when they perform live.

When are people going to realise that they just can't sing? and that ones about 4 seconds slower than the other?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Engelbert should walk out on stage to "Do you smell what the Hump is cookin?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IYKCYNnR4&feature=related
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »

The 5 countries we have given most points to in the last 8 years are Turkey, Greece, Lithuania, Cyprus and Ireland.

5 countries which have huge diasporas here. Also Netherlands and Belgium always give loads to Armenia, Germany to Turkey and Spain to Romania and Moldova.

It's not political but diaspora, as you say
  • Options
    molo flapianmolo flapian Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it :cool:
    I know I do as I'm still singing it in my head this morning.

Would have liked a bigger performance from the musicians - more bass for me - but the Hump's vocals are spot on.

I'm right behind him and cheering all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If he nails it on the night, he'll get a respectable score.

If he gets nul points, we should declare war on Europe and immediately begin bombing strategic locations across the continent.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I heard this a couple of times yesterday on Radio 2. It's not a bad song, but it's a bit boring. It's got quite a nice melody, but it's too forgettable and sounds very dated. I said the same about that Andrew Lloyd Webber song too though, and that did really well.

Is Engelbert well known in Europe? If so, that could attract a few votes.
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I woke up with a weird combination of Love Will Set You Free (UK), Never Forget (Iceland) and You & Me (Netherlands) in my head this morning.

I think my subconscious is deciding who to vote for.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This must be one of the best songs for Eurovision ever. I don't know why big stars seldom wish to enter, they could produce good stuff too.

Also I don't understand why something like this was rarely looked into before. Eurovision is political to a point but if there is a good song,it will still do well.
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it! Best we've had for a while.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When can we buy it?
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pleasant, sounds like a song you'd have in a film score.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant believe the song. I thought we would be in with a chance after hearing EH had it, but really the song is rubbish. The votes if any will be for EH, did think we stood a chance this year, even with the political voting.. oh well we can dream.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We. Are. So. Screwed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    On first listen, I like it! It may actually be my favourite UK entry for a long (loooong) while (since Jessica Garlick in 2002?). I (naturally) wish Engelbert and all behind the song well (Hungary has my favourite song from this year, but of course I want the Hump and UK to do well :) ).
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard it last night and it's every bit as terrible as i thought it would be.
    I feel a bot sorry for old Engy, becasue this has 0 points written all over it, and a guy that age doesn't deserve to be made a bit of laughing stock.
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james-dean wrote: »
    BUT, He'll be able to pull it off live.. Jedward are going to flop once more when they perform live.

The other poster wasn't commenting about Jedward's vocal ability but about the song itself, which is the type that actually does well at ESC nowadays. They managed to come 8th out of 25 last year, giving Ireland its best result in 11 years, so I don't exactly call that a flop, and they now have a HUGE fan base all over Europe because of it.

Also, the ESC seems to really love its novelty acts. Remember the Ukrainian entry from 2007? It was a lot of nonsense but still managed to finish in second place.

The UK entry isn't terrible but it's the kind of one that would have really shone at the Contest back in the 60s or 70s, not now. As another poster stated, it's the kind of song that would sound great as part of a film score.