Options

In the Club, a new drama for the BBC by Kay Mellor

Comments

• Options
    Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    james_W85 wrote: »
    why is any time there's a drama by kay mellor it's always titled as such, no other dram writer writer gets their work name checked

Russell T Davies, Lynda la Plante, Dennis Potter, Alan Bennett.....?
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evs814 wrote: »
    Russell T Davies, Lynda la Plante, Dennis Potter, Alan Bennett.....?

-and Jimmy McGovern, Stephen Poliakoff
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was as predictable as i think you can possibly get but i still found it gritty and entertaining. Aside from guessing every plot twist, i really enjoyed it and im actually hooked
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was great to see Hermione Norris in another comedic(ish) role - I've never seen her in Cold Feet and have only seen her in Wire in the Blood so it was good to see her in this.

I have also only ever seen Katherine Parkinson in The IT Crowd so it was great to see her in a drama.

I also loved seeing Jonathan Kerrigan again - I loved him in Merseybeat.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor young girl without a mother and it looks like there may now be a dead father too. Provided I can forgive Jill Halfpenny's husband for his it's grim up north portrayal I'll probably watch again next week to find out if the father of the girl's baby is the sulky teenage boy.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It was great to see Hermione Norris in another comedic(ish) role - I've never seen her in Cold Feet and have only seen her in Wire in the Blood so it was good to see her in this.

I have also only ever seen Katherine Parkinson in The IT Crowd so it was great to see her in a drama.

I also loved seeing Jonathan Kerrigan again - I loved him in Merseybeat.

I've only ever seen Hermione dramas like Spooks.

Katherine Parkinson is someone I've seen but not in anything in particular. Now she's turned up in two dramas I'm watching - the other being The Honourable Woman.

I'm watching Jonathan Kerrigan now in Casualty on Drama. I used to fancy him loads.
  • Options
    mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Hmmm yet another identikit Kay Mellor drama, full of useless inadequate men and erstwhile salt of the earth women,. Plus the same old faces, Zzzzzzzz

Apart from the bank robbing guy (he'll always be Jambo to me....) which of the other men were inadequate? One is a young guy working at a restaurant to support his pregnant wife who clearly despises him; another young creative guy who is making a start in life (hardly a crime); the dad who was working all hours in the van, but unfortunately it looks like he has met his demise; and another guy who we don't know much about yet, other than an inappropriate potential affair.

The only one who was a bit of a bastard is the 'soon to be 'ex husband at the beginning of the show.

Maybe I've misunderstood it....

Good programme. I'll be watching it again next week.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it's lightweight stuff and not Happy Valley
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »

Katherine Parkinson is someone I've seen but not in anything in particular. Now she's turned up in two dramas I'm watching - the other being The Honourable Woman.

I'm watching Jonathan Kerrigan now in Casualty on Drama. I used to fancy him loads.

Is it that era on Drama at the moment? Classic Casualty era imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Didn't enjoy this very grim drama. Would have been nice to have one or two normal pregnancies with happy traditional couples/families instead of everything boringly and predictably PC to keep the luvvies happy.
  • Options
    wonderwheels28wonderwheels28 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this today, i must say I really enjoyed it, & looking forward to next week episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it that era on Drama at the moment? Classic Casualty era imo.

Agreed. It's the first era I really remember watching; remembering storylines rather than just occasional characters ringing bells.

To the poster saying In The Club is too PC, do you mean the lesbians? I think your idea of traditional families would be one dimensional.
  • Options
    VadmunVadmun Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Well this show proved that people really will watch any old shit.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about Will Mellor then he is not related to the writer Kay Mellor they just happen to have the same last name.

And he's from the other side of the Pennines!

By the way, Gaynor Faye is involved, albeit under the production credits as Gaynor Mellor.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably episode 1 is still on iplayer?

I dozed off and missed pretty much all of it - no refection of the show, I was just knackered :blush:
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    i know id like this show , my sort of thing
    however anything with babies/pregnancy i find now due to personal issues i have to avoid them , i get too upset.
    i know this is drama based - it isn't too much baby & pregnancy stuff in the ep is it?
    might watch if its not too bad
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    i know id like this show , my sort of thing
    however anything with babies/pregnancy i find now due to personal issues i have to avoid them , i get too upset.
    i know this is drama based - it isn't too much baby & pregnancy stuff in the ep is it?
    might watch if its not too bad

There are other stories, but the common link between the women is that they are all pregnant so there is a fair bit of pregnancy talk. There is also an ante natal class, a birth, baby scan etc, it might be best to avoid if pregnancy upsets you.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Poor young girl without a mother and it looks like there may now be a dead father too. I'll probably watch again next week to find out if the father of the girl's baby is the sulky teenage boy.

Or her dad:o
  • Options
    iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I missed this, so I wanted to download it via my Sky+ box from the IPlayer - but it's not there! Does anyone know why this is??
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. It's the first era I really remember watching; remembering storylines rather than just occasional characters ringing bells.

To the poster saying In The Club is too PC, do you mean the lesbians? I think your idea of traditional families would be one dimensional.

Absolutely the same, remember Tina's rape especially.

In terms of it being too PC, at least there's variety! Although the kiss between Jonathan Kerrigan and whatever her name was at the end was a bit too clichéd.

Not sure she'll ever be able to teach that girl again though - imagine the awkwardness :o
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was pleasant enough but gave the impression that the female characters were devised using a spreadsheet and the male characters with reference to the Lynda La Plante male character manual.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Was pleasant enough but gave the impression that the female characters were devised using a spreadsheet and the male characters with reference to the Lynda La Plante male character manual.
    That's how I felt about this. Watchable but formulaic.

Having said that....I felt that about the first episode of Happy Valley and was entirely wrong.
    This isn't going to be another Happy Valley. It's a family drama rather than a crime drama. But I will stick with it. There's nothing else much on anyway!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was "ok". But have to agree with others, the male characters were all depicted as rather weak. The Indian guy, pushed around by his stereotypical "princess" of a wife. The out of work bloke who was too scared to let his wife know he had been made redundant. The artist who comes across as a bit feckless, and rather too disappointed that his older lover wasn't so anxious to bleed her husband dry as he'd hoped.
    The piece about the young schoolgirl was very well done though. The bullying, the grief about her mother, her confusion. Sad and all too believable. But it did make for a very grim start to the series.
    I preferred "The Syndicate" of her recent offerings, there was more humour to go with the pathos. But I suppose it is still early days yet.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you forgotten him as the copper in Heartbeat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you forgotten him as the copper in Heartbeat

Never watched that, sorry.