Do you like hotdogs?

Comments

• Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I used to buy them............I sliced them up and fried them for a pasta sauce with onion, garlic and tomato

Delish...............

I do this with the Mattersons ambient sausage. It's a horse shoe shape.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    You mean a frankfurter?

Have you ever had a Hebrew National all beef hot dog, or one from Nathans?

I meant the original ones made using dog meat, I would eat a hotdog with a good quality beef or pork sausage though my butcher makes me up a few pounds of sausages made from vegetable roll.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the frankfurter ones and im not opposed to the tinned ones either. I quite like them. Don't really care if its made with the off cuts
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    No thanks, ever tried an original german hotdog?

Yeah, I've certainly bratwurst in rye bread when I was a kid - very nice :)
    I love hot dogs made with good quality sausages (pork or some other type) :)
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love them. With a drizzle of Frenchy's mustard. Yummo!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    When made right and not over cooked.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recommend the hot dogs from the snack bar at Monument Underground station. The best I've had in ages.:)
    Forum Member
    I meant the original ones made using dog meat, I would eat a hotdog with a good quality beef or pork sausage though my butcher makes me up a few pounds of sausages made from vegetable roll.

:eek:
    I never knew they were actually made that way. I mean I know theyre called hot dogs but still :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love hot dogs. I prefer frankfurter style hot dogs but don't mind too much if it's a normal sausage. Just so long as there's plenty of onions, ketchup and mustard.

I really don't care if the sausage/frankfurter contains eyelids, arseholes, spleens, areolas, cysts and nitrites as I'm not exactly eating them every day lol.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

I really don't care if the sausage/frankfurter contains eyelids, arseholes, spleens, areolas, cysts and nitrites as I'm not exactly eating them every day lol.[/QUOTE]

>>>>

Just as well - as Bismark said something along the lines of - 'Dont ever ask what goes into sausages and politics' !
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I never knew they were actually made that way. I mean I know theyre called hot dogs but still :o

I'd never heard this either, so I googled.

The more likely explanation for the name comes from the fact they resemble dachshunds, not because they contained dachshunds.

It seems that was an unsubstantiated rumor started by the famous cartoonist TA Dorgan. When he heard Harry Stevens selling "red hot dachshund sausages" at the Polo grounds in New York, he drew a cartoon. He didn't know how to spell dachshund, so he called them "hot dogs", which led some people to believe the sausages contained dog meat.

But then again, frankfurters/ wieners were introduced to the U.S. by German immigrants, and at the time eating dog meat in Germany was not uncommon, so who knows. ;)
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »

I really don't care if the sausage/frankfurter contains eyelids, arseholes, spleens, areolas, cysts and nitrites as I'm not exactly eating them every day lol.

>>>>

Just as well - as Bismark said something along the lines of - 'Dont ever ask what goes into sausages and politics' ![/QUOTE]

Wise words! :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Yes, who knew?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I love hot dogs. I prefer frankfurter style hot dogs but don't mind too much if it's a normal sausage. Just so long as there's plenty of onions, ketchup and mustard.

The thing with those types of sausages is that they are minced so fine that you couldn't tell what was in it anyway. Not like British or other types of sausages which are coarser and have small chunks of fat (and/or grissel).
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Funny you should ask OP, I am really craving hot dogs today, I'm trying to decide if I should to go Tesco after work and get some for dinner.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the herta hot dogs made with then? they are a bit red in colour
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    What are the herta hot dogs made with then? they are a bit red in colour

Pork (74%), Water, Pork Fat, Lactose, Salt, Milk Proteins, Flavouring (with Celery), Wheat Fibre, Yeast, Pea Protein, Dextrose, Colours: Carmine, Paprika Extract; Preservative: Sodium Nitrite, Antioxidant: Sodium Erythorbate, Beechwood smoke.
    Dietary Information

Free From Artificial Colours

Apparently :)
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh nothing too bad then :)
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carmine is the stuff that makes them a bit red.

It's made from boiled up insects :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'd never heard this either, so I googled.

The more likely explanation for the name comes from the fact they resemble dachshunds, not because they contained dachshunds.

It seems that was an unsubstantiated rumor started by the famous cartoonist TA Dorgan. When he heard Harry Stevens selling "red hot dachshund sausages" at the Polo grounds in New York, he drew a cartoon. He didn't know how to spell dachshund, so he called them "hot dogs", which led some people to believe the sausages contained dog meat.

But then again, frankfurters/ wieners were introduced to the U.S. by German immigrants, and at the time eating dog meat in Germany was not uncommon, so who knows ;)

I didnt know know all that (BIB), thanks! Interesting :)
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some of y'all are at it again, lol, Again, are we now including the Hot Dog as having only 'one' version in the US like you all do with chocolate? The "I dont like the American ones version? lol". Listen, let me confess here, there's a huge variety of hot dogs/frankfurters/sausages in the US, so you can park that notion aside that the only hot dog in the US is a cheap Oscar Meyer wiener and (while I'm at it) the only mustard available to put on it is the little yellow mustard packs that (some of) you brits seem to only know..

dave81uk wrote: »
    Don't like the American version, the sausage is horrible. No has to be a good quality British pork sausage.

A pig is a pig. Again, a wide variety of styles, my guess is you are eating a sausage mc muffin at McDs and thats your only opinion "American Sausage".. .

At least we know we're eating pork in our sausages and beef in our hamburgers. .
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Aerick wrote: »
    some of y'all are at it again, lol, Again, are we now including the Hot Dog as having only 'one' version in the US like you all do with chocolate? The "I dont like the American ones version? lol". Listen, let me confess here, there's a huge variety of hot dogs/frankfurters/sausages in the US, so you can park that notion aside that the only hot dog in the US is a cheap Oscar Meyer wiener and (while I'm at it) the only mustard available to put on it is the little yellow mustard packs that (some of) you brits seem to only know..

A pig is a pig. Again, a wide variety of styles, my guess is you are eating a sausage mc muffin at McDs and thats your only opinion "American Sausage".. .

At least we know we're eating pork in our sausages and beef in our hamburgers. .

Are you sure you are? Do they test for horsemeat in the U.S.?
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best i ever tasted was Currywurst in Berlin, all manner of options regarding type of sausage too. Lovely
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some hot dogs are great, others not so good. Mustard & mayo is a must have!
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Like hotdogs made with real pork or beef sausages but not those horrible american things

Actually, the hotdogs you get in the States are an entire magnitude or two better than the crap you get over here. Even better when it's a proper Chicago or Texan dog.

It's the dogs over here that are the cheap and nasty ones.