Options

Non alcoholic, non sugary drinks

babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I stopped drinking six months ago, and rather than drinking wine on a Saturday night, I've been drinking soft drinks - j20s, ginger beer, elderflower presse, that kind of thing. Only trouble is, they're all so sugary that they end up making me feel a bit queasy (and are probably not too great for my teeth!).

Has anyone got any recommendations for an alternative? I still feel the need to have a 'special/treat' drink on a Saturday night and ordinary squash isn't really cutting it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know you mentioned the elderflower? Waitrose sell a pink cordial with pomegranate and as you say because it's sweet you barely need a drop - topped up with sparkling water though and ice cold - it really looks and tastes like a fabulous Rose! Imo much nicer than the non-alcoholic wines. Several others on the reviews say the same about this particular one. :)

edit: oops sorry OP realise you're probably talking about when you're out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know you mentioned the elderflower? Waitrose sell a pink cordial with pomegranate and as you say because it's sweet you barely need a drop - topped up with sparkling water though and ice cold - it really looks and tastes like a fabulous Rose! Imo much nicer than the non-alcoholic wines. Several others on the reviews say the same about this particular one. :)

edit: oops sorry OP realise you're probably talking about when you're out!

No, I was meaning something to drink when I'm in the house.

That's great, I hadn't thought of using a cordial with sparkling water, so I'll have a look in waitrose. Thanks!
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iced tea. Don't add sugar. Do serve very cold. Also works with herbal 'teas' - peppermint and so on. Twinnings has loads of good flavours.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water with ice and lemon, I also drink it in the pub if I'm driving. Those sweet sugary drinks are horrible. One drink I do like is Nando's Mango juice. It's not too sweet.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    No, I was meaning something to drink when I'm in the house.

That's great, I hadn't thought of using a cordial with sparkling water, so I'll have a look in waitrose. Thanks!
    You're welcome. It's a bit pricey, but it tastes like a treat and a little goes a long way!

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-62240-Bottlegreen+pomegranate+&+elderflower+cordial
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're welcome. It's a bit pricey, but it tastes like a treat and a little goes a long way!

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-62240-Bottlegreen+pomegranate+&+elderflower+cordial

Thanks, I'll be picking some up.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's tricky.

Fermentation changes sugars to alcohol, and gives wine a "vinous" quality. I think beer has a similar quality from the starches and alcohol.

So a non-alcoholic drink loses this quality, and replacing it with sweetness is not the same at all.

I agree about the cordials, although they are still sweet.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Try the Belvoir Farms cordials but be warned they're not cheap, and you might fancy their pressés too: http://www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk/our-drinks/type/cordials/
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    I still feel the need to have a 'special/treat' drink on a Saturday night and ordinary squash isn't really cutting it.
    I sometimes make a low-sugar cordial with boiling water. Means it's too hot to gulp down and has to be sipped slowly, like tea or coffee.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I don't know whether actual shops stock it as we always tend to buy a load at christmas/farmers markets but there is a brand of vintage cordials called Mr Fitzpatricks that are great with fizzy water. A real wide range of flavours.

Other than that I second either the belvoir or bottle green cordials with fizzy water. I seem to fill half the glass with the stuff as I love the taste to be stronger but I'm sure that just a drop will make it a lot less sweet.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Tesco ginger ale the low calorie version if you don't mind sweeteners it is quite nice.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I've given up drinking during the week now - for nothing specific, just bored with drinking!
    I am on a slim tonic with a slice of lemon and ice kick at the moment. I find it really refreshing and it goes with everything. Helps if you like g and t coz it tastes much like it! :)