Options

End of Eleven : End of Vastra, Jenny and Strax?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
Forum Member
Love these three and the dynamic they bring to the Series. It suddenly struck me that we may never see them re-appear with the new doctor when Matt regenerates. I sincerely hope not, keeping them on would provide solid groundwork for Series 8.

I would also much rather they functioned as Clara's 'family', much like Jackie and the Nobles in that they pop up once or twice in the Series. Less of the two annoying kids please Mr Moffat!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't think so. End of the Ponds and River in Eleven's era, sure but the Paternoster Gang, like Clara will factor into Twelve's era I imagine.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the poster above me says, I think we'll continue to see them throughout Twelve's reign. This regeneration isn't akin to Tennant's; we're only losing the lead actor. Moffat's clearly staying on so the show won't change as much as it did when Tennant left. I don't expect to see anything like that again until Moffat leaves, which will probably be at the same time as Twelve goes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely think keeping Clara and now the Paternoser Gang as sort of her 'family' will help continuity through into series 8. They've been through the big stuff with her as it were... Plus think Vastra and Jenny are kick ass and Strax is. Brilliant dopey foil... Especially if we get a more serious Doctor next time.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    As the poster above me says, I think we'll continue to see them throughout Twelve's reign. This regeneration isn't akin to Tennant's; we're only losing the lead actor. Moffat's clearly staying on so the show won't change as much as it did when Tennant left. I don't expect to see anything like that again until Moffat leaves, which will probably be at the same time as Twelve goes.

It might be sooner. Perhaps an announcement will be made on the casting of 12 and new showrunner at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It might be sooner. Perhaps an announcement will be made on the casting of 12 and new showrunner at the same time.

I do wonder if we're heading into co-show runner territory... Maybe there'll be more of transitionary period rather than an outright change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as Moffat is around, chances are we will see the Paternoster Gang around too. And we might even see River meeting 12 IMO.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as Moffat is around, chances are we will see the Paternoster Gang around too. And we might even see River meeting 12 IMO.

No, I think we've seen the last of River. Her story arc ended quite neatly in 'The Name Of The Doctor'.

I think you're right that we'll see the Paternoster Gang again during series 8. But longer-term, probably not. It depends on Moffat's career plans. The suggestion that there might be a transition year is a good one. Moffat and, let's say Toby Whitehouse, might look after the show between them during series 8, before Whitehouse takes over permanently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    No, I think we've seen the last of River. Her story arc ended quite neatly in 'The Name Of The Doctor'.

I think you're right that we'll see the Paternoster Gang again during series 8. But longer-term, probably not. It depends on Moffat's career plans. The suggestion that there might be a transition year is a good one. Moffat and, let's say Toby Whitehouse, might look after the show between them during series 8, before Whitehouse takes over permanently.

I don't think that River will be a major character, I just think that we might see her getting at least one story with 12 down the line. It would explain her confusion upon seeing 10 in the Library, because the notion was that she had met several Doctors IMO.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Moffat will park these characters just like RTD parked his. I certainly don't think we'll see River Song again (except in the regeneration story) and the Victorian gang will be but a distant memory. The 12th Doctor will need a family of his/her/it's own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see them again (though I do think we'll see them in the 50th), afterwords they'll go back home where I think will be the last time we see them in Doctor Who.

Here's hoping for the spin-off though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    They seem to be quite similar to UNIT in that they're pretty much the Doctor's family-away-from-home, helping him out when he has no one else to turn to, so I hope they stick around for at least two of his incarnations. Then give them a nice send-off story during Series 9 or something while they help him out one last time.
  • Options
    cheesebigginscheesebiggins Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Would LOVE a spin-off show!
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milotic12 wrote: »
    Love these three and the dynamic they bring to the Series. It suddenly struck me that we may never see them re-appear with the new doctor when Matt regenerates. I sincerely hope not, keeping them on would provide solid groundwork for Series 8.

I would also much rather they functioned as Clara's 'family', much like Jackie and the Nobles in that they pop up once or twice in the Series. Less of the two annoying kids please Mr Moffat!

Thoughts?
    It would be nice for them to turn up now and again, bump into the Doctor while on his travels. I'd like to think Clara's Mum and Dad will play a part in the future, Clara's mum might take a shine to The Doctor and that would be awkward:D

Clara-"Mum, stop it"
    Clara's Mum-"Clara, I'm just helping the Doctor accessorise, socks are important, your Dad always says, socks are not always seen but much valued"
    The Doctor-"Listen to your mum Clara, she knows about that kind of thing and look, snazzy socks"
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    It would be nice for them to turn up now and again, bump into the Doctor while on his travels. I'd like to think Clara's Mum and Dad will play a part in the future, Clara's mum might take a shine to The Doctor and that would be awkward:D

Clara-"Mum, stop it"
    Clara's Mum-"Clara, I'm just helping the Doctor accessorise, socks are important, your Dad always says, socks are not always seen but much valued"
    The Doctor-"Listen to your mum Clara, she knows about that kind of thing and look, snazzy socks"
    :D

Be good... But she's dead... Shame.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're being groomed to be the next "Torchwood", there must be an opening for a new spin off since the untimely passing of Elisabeth Sladen‎.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We haven't really seen that much of Vastra, Jenny and Strax; I'd certainly like them to hang around a bit longer. They shouldn't be overused, of course, but two or three outings each series would be good, for maybe two or three series.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I hope they disappear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    I hope they disappear.

well that was a predictable response... why did I click to check...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I reckon we'll get an appearance from them early in S8, to reassure younger fans that, even though The Doctor has changed, yes this is the same show [just like the way that old monsters are usually wheeled out early on in a new Doctor's reighn, or how Tom's first story featured the UNIT family and so on].

But when the transitional period has passed, and Twelves era starts to get its own distinct flavour, sadly I think they'll be phased out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were best thing to come out of series 6
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    They were best thing to come out of series 6

Agreed! Though I wouldn't object to them toning down Strax's humor just a little :D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    milotic12 wrote: »

Thoughts?

Oh christ I hope so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh christ I hope so.

What do you hope? Quoting the whole post doesn't tell us which view you espouse.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    What do you hope? Quoting the whole post doesn't tell us which view you espouse.

I hope it's the last we see of them. Vastra is ok but I can't stand Jenny with her dreadful mockney-cockney 'ya'r havin' a larf ain't ya mate' accent and Strax is just irritating.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    well that was a predictable response... why did I click to check...:rolleyes:

What's your problem? One person voices a different opinion to the majority and gets a rude response.

Personally, I like them, but no more so than other characters. I think they're overrated, personally.