Do you kill bees and wasps?

oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm someone who if I see a bee or a wasp on the lawn I'll step on it to kill it before it gets the chance to attack and sting me. I did this yesterday at a family gathering and one of my cousins told me off and said it's wrong to kill them. This person isn't a vegetarian.
So do you kill bees and wasps or does it depend if they come into your house? I take the view it's better safe than sorry. :sleep:

Do you kill bees and wasps? 102 votes

Yes
7%
asyousayLisa.Bparalaxrenbooth[Deleted User]abcd[Deleted User]oatstie 8 votes
No
73%
Scratchplate[Deleted User]Glawster2002KJ44ClarkF1Sigurd[Deleted User]DPSjesayadorydarylInMyArmsCally's mum[Deleted User]lubaspookyLXbornfreeannies1kulmarAneechikscoobyju1 75 votes
Only if they come inside the house
18%
Mark in Essex[Deleted User]AZZURRI 06big bro geekWelsh-ladSteady40[Deleted User]deans6571CBFreakLibrarywitchToriamathcjsmummydave81ukKathyFan12Bad Wolf 525BigDaveXEuphorianSky[Deleted User]ChipDouglas82 19 votes

Comments

• nightsun1500nightsun1500 Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are outside then i just move away however inside I will use the wasp killer spray
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if they attack me first.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasps yes, bees no.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You needed a 'killed just bees' or 'killed just wasps' choice!

I have never killed a bee but wasps....!

I've never heard of bees wantonly attacking humans!
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Why, on fictitious gods earth, would you kill them?

We are not cave men - killing any threat perceived?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    The poll is unfair, I kill wasps but not bees so can't really take part.
  • froggy22froggy22 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    just shoo them away if its outside
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I occasionally kill wasps because they are inherently evil creatures. If I catch one I pull out its sting with tweezers before releasing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try not to kill anything except flies.... filthy stinking articles.

Last week I was at the local community bingo and this ugly hoverfly settled on the table and all my friends said kill it but I said no and put it out into the wide world..... then I won the top prize of £30! Karma? :)
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Definitely not bees. Have had a bee nest in my garden this year and they bother nobody. Been walking about with them flying around me and they've never even attempted to attack, divebomb or sting. They're busy doing their own thing and really don't want to be wasting their energy going round stinging people. I've even left sugar out for them. A bee usually only attacks as a means of defending itself or it's property if it is attacked. We need our bees for pollination and, as their populations are in decline, I'd like to help them out a bit.

Wasps, IMO, are a somewhat different little species. I'm not sure what purpose they serve (maybe someone could enlighten me), they can be wantonly aggressive little buggers and seem to go randomly crazy at the end of summer. I've only ever been stung by wasps, never bees. I tend to find wasps in my home, not bees (despite there being loads of bees in my garden with open windows close to the nest). I wouldn't kill a wasp for the hell of it. If I find one inside, I try to clap a glass over it, scoop it up and throw it out to its freedom. However, if it's wantonly bezzing around the kitchen and being a PITA, sadly, it's a job for the 'Raid'. I have other animals to consider and wouldn't put it past the cat or dog to try and catch it and get stung on the tongue for their efforts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    I occasionally kill wasps because they are inherently evil creatures. If I catch one I pull out its sting with tweezers before releasing it.

Thus giving it an agonising death! Its like someone disembowelling you alive! :eek: That's not nice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasps yes, bees no. I would not mourn the extinction of wasps.
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I cannot think what I would think of anyone who said they actively kill bees?
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I try not to kill anything except flies.... filthy stinking articles.

Last week I was at the local community bingo and this ugly hoverfly settled on the table and all my friends said kill it but I said no and put it out into the wide world..... then I won the top prize of £30! Karma? :)

Pretty much so imo...well done you on both counts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Always ~ but then I'm allergic and carry an Eplpen. I am also veggy so refrain from eating them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I never kill wasps or bees, I always leave the windows open so, when they finally realise that they can, they'll leave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasps yes, bees no. I would not mourn the extinction of wasps.

I used to think that wasps should be wiped off the face of the eath too, but I found out a couple of years ago that wasps are as important to flora and fauna as bees and butterflies! You would notice the ecological disaster!

I kill them too if they are around me or in the house because of their indiscriminate nature of attack! But outside I try and let them go about their business!
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love bees, don't like wasps. Save the Bees
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    No
    I'll kill a wasp as a preemptive measure. A bee on the other hand, i will help find their way outside.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Slightly OT and a bit gross, but can anyone tell me the point of a fly, other than for breaking down s**t and then 'spreading the love' all over one's sandwiches?
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasps yes - useless vicious little beasties, bees no, we wouldn't have any pollinated plants without bees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Slightly OT and a bit gross, but can anyone tell me the point of a fly, other than for breaking down s**t and then 'spreading the love' all over one's sandwiches?

Yeah. Their babies help decompose human flesh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »

The maggots are the most important part of a flies life I think, because they eat all the rotten disease ridden stuff! Flies don't live very long I don't think, maybe a couple of weeks or so!
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have an option to answer in the poll. I don't kill bees ever and I only kill wasps if they won't go away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No
    It's good to see from the poll results that most people don't kill them.