Options

Zero Working Hours Contracts

occyoccy Posts: 65,191
Forum Member
✭✭
Apparently most of the country are on Zero hours contract, but doesn't mean no work.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jul/31/nick-clegg-zero-hours-contracts

Do you come under that bracket?

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect if the agency actually sent me a copy of the contract like they said they would, I would know for sure I was on zero hours, but in reality I know the people I am temping with are giving me 35 hours a week, and given the slightly higher wage than normal, I am happy with that.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    C4 News just had a report on the use of these contracts at Amazon. It was not exactly a bit of positive publicity for Amazon. Sacking people after 12 weeks (so they don't have to treat them like full-time employees and pay sick leave and stuff), making them wear a GPS tracker so they can be monitored the entire time. Apparently the locals are so pissed off with them that Amazon now have to bus in workers from 20 miles away!
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I think im classed as that. Im bank staff so i have zero hours unless i book shifts. As far as im aware theres no upper limit so i can do as many or as few hours a week as i chose (as long as shifts are available). All they ask is i do a minimum of one shift every six months.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Apparently most of the country are on Zero hours contract, but doesn't mean no work.

Yes, I've worked twice for Boots, both times starting on a temporary Christmas full time contract and then going onto a permanent but nil hours contract. The last time I worked for them back in 2003/04 I worked full time hours, this time I'm lucky if I'm getting 15 hours a fortnight which is why I've had to sign on for Jobseeker's Allowance. It's an absolute nightmare, specially since I've worked all my life up until I had my son five years ago.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Contracted for 40 hours here. I have to say though, after watching that Channel 4 News report, I don't think I could work under those conditions without going crazy.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have quite a few nurses that have chosen to have sessional contracts (zero hours) so they can pick and choose their working patterns which usually means having school holidays off. However, due to savings targets they are not getting much work even when they want work at the moment
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Fizix has a zero hour contract as the company she works for it events based. But its good money and works well and she's never short of work, and its cool work.
  • Options
    tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Work zero hours and still get paid.....thats a great contract
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work zero hours and still get paid.....thats a great contract

You don't get paid mate.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are an absolute disgrace and quite simply a scam.

The government serious does need to address the issue of these highly exploitative practices by employers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

The government serious does need to address the issue of these highly exploitative practices by employers.

They are not a scam where I work as they are the choice of the employees as it allows them to work or not when they want and there has usually been work when they have wanted it. Unfortunately that is drying up a bit now

None of them were forced to do it and chose it over a permanent role
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not a scam where I work as they are the choice of the employees as it allows them to work or not when they want and there has usually been work when they have wanted it. Unfortunately that is drying up a bit now

None of them were forced to do it and chose it over a permanent role

The trouble is, many companies take on more staff than they need on these contracts so they can be held to ransom. Also there is no sick pay/holiday pay/pension.

You are effectively on call 24/7 unpaid. Turn down a shift for whatever reason or look at the boss the wrong way and you will never get a shift again. Sound fair?
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on an annualised contract which means I get a fixed amount of salary every month including bonus whether I work or not, which can be both a good and bad thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely agree. Disgraceful working practice. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't see anything being done about it, can you? The working class of Britain has already been betrayed with Eastern Europeans taking unskilled jobs, then told by their high and mighty masters how bloody lazy they are compared to the immigrants.

Soon all non-management/professionals will be on zero hour contracts. The government don't give a toss about the ordinary worker.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »

I'd dispute "most of the country" as most public sector staff are certainly not on zero hours contracts, much as the Tories would like us to be
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I can't see anything being done about it, can you? The working class of Britain has already been betrayed with Eastern Europeans taking unskilled jobs,

What about the firms offering them the jobs?
    then told by their high and mighty masters how bloody lazy they are compared to the immigrants.

You mean the owners of the firms?.
    Soon all non-management/professionals will be on zero hour contracts. The government don't give a toss about the ordinary worker.

And the Conservatives want to make it easier to sack people, as do UKIP - infact, the latter want no protection for workers at all.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I worked on a holiday camp years ago, and they did zero hours contracts over january when it was closed, the reason was that everyone staying on the camp was seasonal, so in january they would be laid off for 6 weeks or so, and so would need to move all their stuff out, then back in again in six weeks time, so their contracts were changed to zero hours allowing them to remain living there for the duration for free, most just went on holiday for all of january, it s very cheap there, i went to Egypt for 3 weeks a few times.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is, many companies take on more staff than they need on these contracts so they can be held to ransom. Also there is no sick pay/holiday pay/pension.

You are effectively on call 24/7 unpaid. Turn down a shift for whatever reason or look at the boss the wrong way and you will never get a shift again. Sound fair?

Depends on the way it works I suppose. In my area the zero hours staff had the upper hand and were not expected to come in at short notice. Most are parents with little children so want all the school holidays off. They also had some leave built in dependent on the hours they worked

However, work has now dried up so they are the first to go. I do not think it is fair when that is the only option or zero hours staff were employed instead of perm staff. In my organisation they tended to be used whilst we were waiting to recruit or to cover long term sick
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Yes, I've worked twice for Boots, both times starting on a temporary Christmas full time contract and then going onto a permanent but nil hours contract. The last time I worked for them back in 2003/04 I worked full time hours, this time I'm lucky if I'm getting 15 hours a fortnight which is why I've had to sign on for Jobseeker's Allowance. It's an absolute nightmare, specially since I've worked all my life up until I had my son five years ago.

Yes, it is a terrible situation. It is schemes like this that allow the government to bring out statistics that suggest a positive light such as '6 % rise in employment.' However, in reality people are at the mercy of that employers.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the one 'right wing' thing I find it hard to disagree with.

Zero Hour contracts are very important for a lot of very small businesses. I need to employ people on some busy Friday and Saturday nights at very short notice.

I have simply no need for them the rest of the time, as we are a business that serves alcohol and it's very quiet during the rest of the week.

I think it's wrong that large companies seem to have large swathes of 'permanent' employees on ZH contracts but small businesses genuinely need the flexibility to recruit people for short periods of time (eg. only 1 or 2 shifts) only without the hassle of worrying about rights that shouldn't really apply with such casual work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

Zero Hour contracts are very important for a lot of very small businesses. I need to employ people on some busy Friday and Saturday nights at very short notice.

I have simply no need for them the rest of the time, as we are a business that serves alcohol and it's very quiet during the rest of the week.

I think it's wrong that large companies seem to have large swathes of 'permanent' employees on ZH contracts but small businesses genuinely need the flexibility to recruit people for short periods of time (eg. only 1 or 2 shifts) only without the hassle of worrying about rights that shouldn't really apply with such casual work.

Sounds great for people just looking for some extra money like students, but another thing entirely if one has a mortgage/rent and bills to pay. It's a bloody nightmare.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

That's hardly the same situation though. Yours are temporary workers required for a specific time period. You're not tying them into a nil hours which requires them to be available X number of days a week "just in case" they get called in to work, you're asking them to be available Friday and Saturday evenings and compensating accordingly.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    That's hardly the same situation though. Yours are temporary workers required for a specific time period. You're not tying them into a nil hours which requires them to be available X number of days a week "just in case" they get called in to work, you're asking them to be available Friday and Saturday evenings and compensating accordingly.
    Sounds great for people just looking for some extra money like students, but another thing entirely if one has a mortgage/rent and bills to pay. It's a bloody nightmare.

Very true, and I do disagree with big companies doing this for convenience so they can just fire people whenever they want - but I was making the point as some have been calling for all forms of ZH/Casual work to be banned.

I think banning such employment opportunities would be the death knell for small businesses.

Bigger companies really should be more responsible though. If they want somebody for 40 hours a week, every week, they should give them a proper contract.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was a thread about ZH contracts in politics and I explained my OH's employer. She makes good money because of how things are structured.

The reason for the ZH contract is because its events based so semi seasonal and ups and downs. There are very busy months and very quiet months.

But all said and done they all make good money because they are paid well and get allowances; so the good months balance out the bad ones.

Also they are rota'd in advance, they aren't "on call". They are no different really to flexi hour contracts.

She also got maternity pay (based on her last year average with them), gets holiday pay and sick pay based on her average hours.

So it depends on the company and why they are operating ZH contracts.