cadbury's chocolate

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be really difficult to use for cooking for those precise reasons. It would melt funny.

Hmmm....I'm pretty sure the 'chocolate' used to coat biscuits is as low as 14%. So, God alone know what else they put in it. I think CDM is horrible, greasy stuff.

As an aside: Is there anyone here from Norfolk? Everyone thinks I'm imagining this, but there was a move to push a mainstream English brand of 70% chocolate. I'm pretty sure it came from Norfolk. Norwich? I saw huge piles of it at Tesco for a while but I don't think it ever sold well. I think it was called Guardsman. This was at least a decade ago, maybe longer.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Madras wrote: »
    Hmmm....I'm pretty sure the 'chocolate' used to coat biscuits is as low as 14%. So, God alone know what else they put in it. I think CDM is horrible, greasy stuff.

As an aside: Is there anyone here from Norfolk? Everyone thinks I'm imagining this, but there was a move to push a mainstream English brand of 70% chocolate. I'm pretty sure it came from Norfolk. Norwich? I saw huge piles of it at Tesco for a while but I don't think it ever sold well. I think it was called Guardsman. This was at least a decade ago, maybe longer.

Not a good idea to use our milk chocolate for cooking, as been said it don't melt like normal chocolate.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Its not just the qualiy that has suffered, what about the quantity!

Prices have gone up and the bars have gotten smaller.

A world wide con it would seem. Americans are also moaning about their products shrinking in size and the cost going up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not a good idea to use our milk chocolate for cooking, as been said it don't melt like normal chocolate.

You can use CDM for cooking. In that regard it's little different to the utter crap made by Scotbloc. The question is why on earth would you want to?

Tesco's (French-made) and Sainsbury's (German-made) own label Value/Basics bars are much better (27%-30% cocoa and use cocoa butter rather than palm oil) and can be had for about 30p for 100g so why anyone would want to use anything vastly inferior makes little sense. Especially when the inferior choices cost more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it tastes the same as it always has yummy. They have used powdered milk fopr years.iT'S FINE TO USE in cooking and can#t stand dark chocolate in recipes always change it to milk chocolate. Be it any brand I can get cheap
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been "yankified". I no longer buy it.

Interestingly enough, Cadbury's milk chocolate as sold in the UK and EU couldn't be sold as milk chocolate in the US as Cadbury uses vegetable oil in place of cocoa butter (the creme eggs sold in the US are made by Cadbury with a special formula for the US market using cocoa butter; the other Cadbury chocolate in the US is made by Hershey under license from Cadbury).
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use CDM for cooking. In that regard it's little different to the utter crap made by Scotbloc. The question is why on earth would you want to?

Tesco's (French-made) and Sainsbury's (German-made) own label Value/Basics bars are much better (27%-30% cocoa and use cocoa butter rather than palm oil) and can be had for about 30p for 100g so why anyone would want to use anything vastly inferior makes little sense. Especially when the inferior choices cost more.

Tesco removed the Value range bars a couple of months ago. Bloody shame it was not bad at all.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mirabelle wrote: »
    it tastes the same as it always has yummy. They have used powdered milk fopr years.iT'S FINE TO USE in cooking and can#t stand dark chocolate in recipes always change it to milk chocolate. Be it any brand I can get cheap

Completely agree !
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I've read all the comments and although Cadbury's has never been high class chocolate it had a familiar lovely taste.I don't like very dark high cocoa solid type unless cooking a dessert.
    So yes I think they are altering ingredients and I doubt I'll buy it any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This imo is a good review of Cabury's in recent times by a most excellent American chocolate enthusiast:
    The British are in an uproar about Kraft’s recent bid of US$19.5bn to take over their beloved Cadbury. They fear their treasured English treats will be turned into revolting American chocolate. There’s a lot British chocolate lovers don’t already know. Cadbury has already been turned into ‘revolting’ American chocolate in the United States; in Southeast Asia, into bitter Malaysian chocolate; and in Australia and New Zealand, into sweet Australian chocolate.
    ~ The Changing Tastes of Cadbury Chocolate
    One thing seems clear; disappointing Cadbury's chocolate begins with Cadbury, not Kraft. You could say Cadbury having a track record for putting profit before taste just attracted Kraft's attention.

For example in 2009 Cadbury managed to alienate the Australian chocolate buying public:
    http://ozsoapbox.com/personal/cadbury-admits-stuffing-up-their-chocolate-recipe/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...As an aside: Is there anyone here from Norfolk? Everyone thinks I'm imagining this, but there was a move to push a mainstream English brand of 70% chocolate. I'm pretty sure it came from Norfolk. Norwich? I saw huge piles of it at Tesco for a while but I don't think it ever sold well. I think it was called Guardsman. This was at least a decade ago, maybe longer.
    Caley's of Norwich? Their products have a military theme:

http://www.caleys.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Tesco removed the Value range bars a couple of months ago. Bloody shame it was not bad at all.

The Sainsbury's German-made bars were better anyway, neo. I haven't had it for a while but I hope they still do it.
    bean999 wrote: »
    Caley's of Norwich? Their products have a military theme:

http://www.caleys.com/

Great....I knew it. 70% and 35% bars. Been going since 1883. Maybe I was wrong and it was called Marching Chocolate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I cant say I have noticed a difference in taste, but over the last couple of months I have ended up with a swollen mouth after having Cadbury chocolate so have stopped having it.

Either the have changed something, or I have become more sensitive to something in it!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    camer wrote: »
    I was under the idea that Cadburys could not be called or advertised as chocolate due to the very low quality and lack of cocoa content, some EU reg as far as I can remember.

It's not the cocoa content that the EU were up in arms about but the fact that it uses vegetable fat as well as milk. They wanted chocolate to be only made with 100% dairy fats (as that's how most the European chocolate is made).
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Lidl used to sell some good chocolate, can't remember the brand but it was good stuff, do they still sell it?

Not sure about Lidl but Aldi sometimes sell chocolate bars which are very similar to "cadbury's dairy milk" and a lot cheaper.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eat it often and haven't noticed any difference
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't really ever tell any difference with Cadbury's Chocolate. D:

Would be able to with Lindt or Galaxy though
  • OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see Toblerone in every airport gift shop in the world, perfect for using up the last of your local currency on then giving to someone you don't like when you get home, its awful stuff. Cadbury's is not bad really, its the plonk of the chocolate world, certainly better than American Hershey chocolate.

Totally agree on the Hershey comment. It is vile, the worst chocolate i have ever tasted, the smell is bad enough. Just vile.

Galaxy is my favourite, cadbury 2nd. I think its gone down hill but not that much. I think roses and milktrays aren't worth the cost though.