Options

JLS... pointless group?

Comments

• Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Surely music like this can be seen as a way to get people interested in music. Most people will outgrow boy bands, but by then they should have developed their own tastes and be able to move on. Maybe this entry level music can be seen as an introduction to music and therefore not pointless after all.

Absolutely. And as long as there are boys and girls there will be boy groups. If they look good and can sing - then you realise that record companies make money and it's as old as the hills. Or The Beatles, The Monkees, Bay City Rollers, The Osmonds, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i agree i find them really themselves lately, especially Aston.

The quality of their music has slowly decreased album on album. Their last 2 albums had so much filler it was unbelievable and they've become more a money making excerise than anything else.

Their first year was very good in terms of singles and album but they've gone downhill since.A few good singles here and there but largely they'll just churn out anything now. Think they need a year break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUKlCaF9aM

WTF I thought this was a singing contest, Aston is clearly singing live on the chorus the rest aren't.the same with One Direction.

Poor Lucie Jones and Laura White get critqued and knit picked and these lot are miming!? Why dont any of the other judges never pick up on this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aston is a good singer but oh boy he really has a huge EGO and seems in love with himself.

Ortise is quite good singing wise, but he seems to go through phases of modesty and cockiness.

Marvin's not as egotistical rather modest but he cannot sing.

JB isn't a very good singer, less than average just like Marvin but he seems quite down to earth and appreciative.
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUKlCaF9aM

WTF I thought this was a singing contest, Aston is clearly singing live on the chorus the rest aren't.the same with One Direction.

Poor Lucie Jones and Laura White get critqued and knit picked and these lot are miming!? Why dont any of the other judges never pick up on this?

I get your point but it's down to the public's votes really? They had good voices but found themselves in the singoff...
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm JLS...well I liked them on X Factor I think they all had great voices smooth harmonies after being the runners up of XF. They did well with the first 3 singles in 2009 and 2010 which were good I honestly think their best song was "One Shot" and also from the album "Close To You" but then things kinda went downhill from their when they released the next song which was TERRIBLE "The Club Is Alive" was definitely one of the worst songs of 2010 :eek: then the Children in Need song was okay but look here many people didn't agree LOL - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/singlesreviews/a286052/jls-love-you-more.html wow! so much drama

What JLS are releasing now is trash and very generic stuff I think they went downhill in 2010 after that song The Club is Alive, (The song) She Makes Me Wanna had the same theme for Chris Brown - Yeah x3 but also the same tune for another song not much change pretty dire and so-so. I am getting a bit tired of them their better than One Direction still not a fan of their current stuff the first album was good it had some pretty good songs and some decent songs perhaps if they went back to that direction then future albums would be better but they haven't been so far. The quality hasn't been great either so if they keep going down this route then maybe yes they might become pointless just hope they go back to the first album's routes because I'm getting a bit bored of them appearing everywhere :yawn: and it's also getting annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh i quite like their stuff lol :o
  • Options
    Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand JLS. Bland, bland, bland...and did I mention bland? Do they sing about anything else other than being at da club? It's a shame because I quite liked them during their very first XF audition, but they went downhill almost right away. They just churn out the same song over and over again from what I've heard of them.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have the same purpose and shelf life that all boybands have. Their time will be up soon. They should enjoy it while they can.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    They have the same purpose and shelf life that all boybands have. Their time will be up soon. They should enjoy it while they can.

Depends. Take That have lasted quite well.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends. Take That have lasted quite well.

Well take that took 10 or so years off before coming back. When a popular group has been away for a long time there will always be demand for them. However take that are a bit different from a regular boy band because they have Gary Barlow who is a talented song writer by any standards.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they're a pointless group. There's only one reason they exist - to make quick money for their record label (and themselves) via their fanbase, helped by the endless tv appearances and radio airplay. I don't know why it surprises anyone. You only have to listen to their music and look at how they're marketed to understand this. Any self-respecting fan of music couldn't care less about them.

They're not about making music - they're about making money.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    kutox wrote: »
    Of course they're a pointless group. There's only one reason they exist - to make quick money for their record label (and themselves) via their fanbase, helped by the endless tv appearances and radio airplay. I don't know why it surprises anyone. You only have to listen to their music and look at how they're marketed to understand this. Any self-respecting fan of music couldn't care less about them.

They're not about making music - they're about making money.

I'm a fan of music and I enjoy their stuff. Who are you to say what is good?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to be fading away ... All i hear about these days are TW and OD :L
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sad to see them reduced to singing cheesy pop songs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think they are pointless but i do think there future looks bleak tbh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    I dont think they are pointless but i do think there future looks bleak tbh

Yeah i agree. Btw I think that they're becoming a little too old to be a boy band and have well passed the stage where all the girls seem to have been obsessed with them. I believe they all have girlfriends and one will be marrying soon.
  • Options
    Press_EscPress_Esc Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS = Just Looking Stupid
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i agree. Btw I think that they're becoming a little too old to be a boy band and have well passed the stage where all the girls seem to have been obsessed with them. I believe they all have girlfriends and one will be marrying soon.

I think you're right. I think they need to start evolving their sound soon i think or they'll most likely just fade away. Not drastically but maybe becoming more rnb or pop than the dance they do all the time.
  • Options
    Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The 15 minutes is almost up for sure, I feel a bit sad if they are that delusional to think there are more years of success ahead for them, theres a good 10 more JLS/Blue/Another Level/Blazin Squad just waiting to take over.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon the tweenie girls have probably already started moving on to Wand Erection etc. Their time is numbered!
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's a vacancy for a set of stool sitting balladadeers up for grabs since Westlife retired.:D
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    They've just let the quality of their stuff decline, which is a shame. First album was good but the second was terrible and I didn't even bother with the third after not liking any of the singles from it.
    What's more bizarre is whilst they used to sound really good live, especially on acoustic stuff, now Aston's the only one who sings well. Their live lounge of Earthquake by Labyrinth was good, to be fair, but everything else I've seen of the past 18 months of so has been kind of appalling.
    I'd say 1D have overtaken them as the more popular boyband and The Wanted have overtaken them as the most talented boyband (not that JLS had any competition to begin with - I wouldn't call Take That a boyband anymore) but they still have a pretty huge fanbase. Bigger than TW's I'd say, although theirs seems to be growing whilst JLS's seems to be slowly dropping. There's at least 2 years in them yet.
  • Options
    Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Jade" wrote: »
    They've just let the quality of their stuff decline, which is a shame. First album was good but the second was terrible and I didn't even bother with the third after not liking any of the singles from it.
    What's more bizarre is whilst they used to sound really good live, especially on acoustic stuff, now Aston's the only one who sings well. Their live lounge of Earthquake by Labyrinth was good, to be fair, but everything else I've seen of the past 18 months of so has been kind of appalling.
    I'd say 1D have overtaken them as the more popular boyband and The Wanted have overtaken them as the most talented boyband (not that JLS had any competition to begin with - I wouldn't call Take That a boyband anymore) but they still have a pretty huge fanbase. Bigger than TW's I'd say, although theirs seems to be growing whilst JLS's seems to be slowly dropping. There's at least 2 years in them yet.

You are aware that even the first album was written & composed for them by Wayne Hector and Steve Mac yes? If they had to rely on JLS composing & creating their own songs they'd probably have never released an album, they're singers not song-writers or composers.
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    You are aware that even the first album was written & composed for them by Wayne Hector and Steve Mac yes? If they had to rely on JLS composing & creating their own songs they'd probably have never released an album, they're singers not song-writers or composers.

Oh I know that, but they still have a say in what they release.
    Though I do think they wrote a lot on the second album, mind you, but that's nothing to be proud of.

One of the songs they wrote themselves back when they were UFO is better than anything they've released in about 2 years, imo.