Clarithomycin advice

NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, have got a gum infection with slight swelling on left side of lower jaw.
I am agoraphobic so obviously getting out is a nightmare.
Yesterday I was however taken to dentist by my son, who confirmed it was a infection. I was prescribed these antibiotics as I am allergic to most pencillin.
After speaking o my doctor via phone she assured me these tablets were safe to take. I goggled the tablets and am now scared to death of taking them.
I have a heart murmur and many other health problems, which I won't go into here. Anyway, I have been having panics all night about having to take these tablets today.

Obviously the rational side of me, thinks that not all tablets will give, all those side effects, but I cannot stop panicking and do not want to take them.

One of the possible effects was swelling of face, well I have a swelling as it is so, how could I tell..?
The other effects like, chest pain, tightness, feeling of non reality & fits etc are terrifying me.

I am so upset and don't know what to do.

Comments

• YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    After speaking o my doctor via phone she assured me these tablets were safe to take. I goggled the tablets and am now scared to death of taking them.

Google is great - but it isn't medically trained..

Or is there a new search engine called "Goggle"?
    Obviously the rational side of me, thinks ...

Are you sure?
    I am so upset and don't know what to do.

You could ask your doctor to prescribe an anxiolytic or sedative, but these commonly have side effects too ...
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two options:

Take the tablets, or don't and continue to suffer and let the problem get worse.

Hopefully if you're silly enough to do the latter you won't be wasting the time of an NHS dentist with it in the future.

Seriously, I could make a big long post about how irrational you're being but that's part of the problem. The more you think about it and talk about it the more you build things like this up. It doesn't help in the long run to do that - get a drink, take the tablets and don't even think about it again. We can be our own worst enemies sometimes.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One does wonder why people consult doctors at all when it's so much easier just to Google your symptoms. Then you can contact the doctor when you've worked out what you've got, and tell them what drug you think they should prescribe. :cool:

All drugs have some side effects, and manufacturers are legally required to list them, however infrequent they are. The benefits of taking a drug far outweigh the risks of side effects. The OP's doctor has stated that clarithromycin is safe for them to take. The alternative is continued suffering and a possible generalized infection that will be a lot harder to treat.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mistyped google obviously.-Sorry.

Thanks for replies.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi NoFuss, my daughter was prescibed Clarithromycin when she had pneumonia. The list of side effects for drugs are scary aren't they? The trouble is that they have to mention everything that MAY happen - I once used eye drops that had one side effect of leukaemia!!

I understand your anxiety, I came close to being agoraphobic once and I suffered emetophobia for decades. I'll be completely honest with you. The most likely side effect of Clarithromycin is nausea or vomiting - but 90% of people don't get that. My daughter felt a little queasy until she ate a cookie - that's what you need to do, eat little and often. She had no other side effects.

You need to be very firm with yourself. Your infection could become very serious if not treated. Clarithromycin saved my daughter's life. You did incredibly well to leave the house and go to the dentist. If you can do that then you can certainly take this (life saving) pill.

:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi NoFuss, my daughter was prescibed Clarithromycin when she had pneumonia. The list of side effects for drugs are scary aren't they? The trouble is that they have to mention everything that MAY happen - I once used eye drops that had one side effect of leukaemia!!

I understand your anxiety, I came close to being agoraphobic once and I suffered emetophobia for decades. I'll be completely honest with you. The most likely side effect of Clarithromycin is nausea or vomiting - but 90% of people don't get that. My daughter felt a little queasy until she ate a cookie - that's what you need to do, eat little and often. She had no other side effects.

You need to be very firm with yourself. Your infection could become very serious if not treated. Clarithromycin saved my daughter's life. You did incredibly well to leave the house and go to the dentist. If you can do that then you can certainly take this (life saving) pill.

:):)

thank you for your kind words, it means a lot today. Thanks for being reassuring to stupid me, in a panic.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not stupid :) anxiety is very difficult to deal with.

I didn't go to the dentist for 7 years and was in a right state when I finally had to go.

I hope you've taken your first pill.

All the best. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    i know exactly what you mean! i hate taking any medication due to my anxiety. the doctor prescribed me somethin for nerve pain but i was to scared to take it once i read the side effects. she told me to stop I
    googling effects and do some shopping instead lol!
    i had toothache last month so painful so i would definitely take the medication as it will get worse without it
  • SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Can't believe you are scared of taking a tablet! :eek:

I have to inject anti biotics into my veins (IV's) myself every 3-5 months, with much worse possible side effects
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    SolidSnake wrote: »

I have to inject anti biotics into my veins (IV's) myself every 3-5 months, with much worse possible side effects

just because you have to do something that drastic doesnt make the problem any smaller for the op
  • RockyRaccoon68RockyRaccoon68 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Clarithromycin are very commonly prescribed and taken all round the world, usually with minimal serious side effects or complications. That said, it's great that you have read the side effects and are well informed about what to look out for. I would suggest you take the tablets and if you experience any troublesome or worrying adverse effects contact your GP for advice.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolidSnake wrote: »

Thats like saying you cant believe someone is scared of spiders as you work with lions . No bearing on anything at all ,.

Op , they have to write all possible side effects and most of them are a one in a million chance . Your tooth and jaw will Thank you for it when you take the treatment .Get well soon ,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not stupid :) anxiety is very difficult to deal with.

I didn't go to the dentist for 7 years and was in a right state when I finally had to go.

I hope you've taken your first pill.

All the best. :)

I get the prescription tomorrow delivered. Thanks for understanding reply.
    i know exactly what you mean! i hate taking any medication due to my anxiety. the doctor prescribed me somethin for nerve pain but i was to scared to take it once i read the side effects. she told me to stop I
    googling effects and do some shopping instead lol!
    i had toothache last month so painful so i would definitely take the medication as it will get worse without it

thanks, I do need to stop googling, but do like to be informed. Lately though it has made me more anxious.
    shmisk wrote: »
    just because you have to do something that drastic doesnt make the problem any smaller for the op
    Clarithromycin are very commonly prescribed and taken all round the world, usually with minimal serious side effects or complications. That said, it's great that you have read the side effects and are well informed about what to look out for. I would suggest you take the tablets and if you experience any troublesome or worrying adverse effects contact your GP for advice.

Thanks RR. I feel calmer now...maybe until morning lol.

The reason I have to wait for prescription is because I have allergies, my dentist had to ring my doctor for the medication, who then phoned me.
    I get the tablets delivered tomorrow. Until then it's mouthwash, painkillers and salt water rinses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats like saying you cant believe someone is scared of spiders as you work with lions . No bearing on anything at all ,.

Op , they have to write all possible side effects and most of them are a one in a million chance . Your tooth and jaw will Thank you for it when you take the treatment .Get well soon ,

thank you so much.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im sure the effects of not taking the antibiotics would be much more drastic for you. You have been advised by TWO trained professionals to take them so.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Im sure the effects of not taking the antibiotics would be much more drastic for you. You have been advised by TWO trained professionals to take them so.....

I was told by at least 7 doctors nothing was wrong with me but i went blind in one eye and soon, will have the eye taken out.So excuse me for being naive.

I suffered a break down over that which left me with agoraphobia and anxiety.i have previously had reactions & allergies from medication, so hence my panic.
    This was of course after being told the medication would be fine. I worry mostly about antibiotic's as these have been main culprits.

Sadly we are not all the same. I reached out here as I was feeling upset.

I will not post for advice again. I would however gladly try to be kind to anyone who was hurting.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told by at least 7 doctors nothing was wrong with me but i went blind in one eye and soon, will have the eye taken out.So excuse me for being naive.

I suffered a break down over that which left me with agoraphobia and anxiety.i have previously had reactions & allergies from medication, so hence my panic.
    This was of course after being told the medication would be fine. I worry mostly about antibiotic's as these have been main culprits.

I will not post for advice again. I would however gladly try to be kind to anyone who was hurting.

Why let one or two posters stop you from seeking help .Ignore them and listen to the helpful posts .DS is well known for the argumentitive .Pay no heed .
    I have had two anyphalactic shocks and feel your anxiety .But I know mine was from Nurofen now and can safely take other things .We have to sometimes take the step and get well
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

I think MOST people who hve posted on this thread have tried to give sensible advice. However your detailed reply here is a perfect example of why people really shouldn't ask for medical adice on here. No one except your doctor, with all the details of your medical history, can give you ( in whom you understandbaly have doubts)anything other than general advice, possibly based on their own experience, which is of course irrelevant to your own situation.TBH what kind of advice were you looking for?

That said, I have a cuople of points - daughter is allergic to amoxcylin but took clarithomycin OK, and also, what do you take for your allergies? could you take something "just in case" before you take the antibiotics? Again though you would have to check with your Dr and or pharmacist and then decide whether to trust them.
    Oh, and hope you feel better soon:)
  • SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I've taken anti biotics all my life so it seems normal to me!
    I'm probably not the best person to give advice.

sorry if i offended you
  • SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One tip I'd offer is to take probiotic drinks alongside the antibiotics, as they can help prevent, and ease, a tummy upset. I've been told by three nurses who I know (all from different parts of the country too) that these are now used in intensive care patients.

If you do have an allergic reaction you obviously need to get straight back to your GP but it's likely an upset tummy will be pretty much dismissed - a rash will get far more attention, but even then a couple of doses of anti-histamine will probably sort you out (something like Piriton).

However, you're probably not going to have any reaction at all now :)
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hang on - I didn't say anything bad to you. I was genuinely giving you advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That happened to me too. Well not quite, one GP and an optician who assured me it was just something minor and harmless. I lost the eye 23 years ago now. Good luck with the op, it isn't as bad as it sounds.