Options

need an affordable smartphone!

2»

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In theory, yes but in reality it's always sold out on the Google site probably because it is so much cheaper there than elsewhere

16GB version in stock right now.

Expect 8GB version to be back in a few weeks if you can wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of putting in a 32GB Micro SD (as I think that's what it uses). Do you play any games on your phone?

problem is that once system memory is full then even having 32GB of memory on a SD card is not going to help.
  • Options
    brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    problem is that once system memory is full then even having 32GB of memory on a SD card is not going to help.

Can't you root the phone and use 'apps to SD' or similar.
    My HTC Desire HD can move apps to SD in system management but I use apps to SD to do it automatically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brillopad wrote: »
    Can't you root the phone and use 'apps to SD' or similar.
    My HTC Desire HD can move apps to SD in system management but I use apps to SD to do it automatically.

You can some apps on a rooted phone that don't move with App2SD on a non-rooted phone, but things like facebook don't like being moved and its a pain as if you move an app using a rooted method then every time there is an update you have to move them again.

I should mention that ICS is a LOT better at managing memory and storage then 2.x and 3.x
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

That's what I've been trying to say in a clumsy way!!
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan111 wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy Ace

very good phone and realy cheap,u can do everything

Avoid the Galaxy Ace. It has very little internal memory so you are limited to the apps you can download. Not all apps can be moved to the SD card so even with light usage it fills up.

I have a S2 and it is awesome, even with ICS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    Avoid the Galaxy Ace. It has very little internal memory so you are limited to the apps you can download. Not all apps can be moved to the SD card so even with light usage it fills up.

Yep - that's what is being said in the thread
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £100 for a phone?

I've got an Orange Stockholm, cost me 20 quid, it does everything I could ever want it to do.
    OK, the operating system isn't the latest, but so what, I still use windows XP, and the camera isn't the best, but between us we own 3 cameras, 2 diddy ones and a pro level DSLR, so if we want to take a photo we use a camera, problem solved and 80 quid more in the bank :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    callmediva wrote: »
    £100 for a phone?

I've got an Orange Stockholm, cost me 20 quid, it does everything I could ever want it to do.
    OK, the operating system isn't the latest, but so what, I still use windows XP, and the camera isn't the best, but between us we own 3 cameras, 2 diddy ones and a pro level DSLR, so if we want to take a photo we use a camera, problem solved and 80 quid more in the bank :)

Horses for courses - Many people are still happy with feature phones and that's fine - doesn't mean that everyone is though
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £100 for a phone?

So you think everyone should have the same want and needs as you?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Sealeg wrote: »
    What's the Samsung Galaxy Ace like? My gf is thinking of buying one, they're about £100.

That's what I was going to suggest too. Other alternatives include the Orange San Francisco II/ZTE Crescent and the Orange Monte Carlo/ZTE Skate.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £100 for a phone?

Sounds great but I've settled for the Nokia lumia, thought I'd give Windows a go and only a tenner over my top budget :) thanks for the help.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think everyone should have the same want and needs as you?

Nope, just saying that you don't have to spend over £100 to get a decent phone.

Of course, if someone wants to spend £500 on a phone, then that's fine, though personally I can think of a few other things I could buy with the £480 I'd have left :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course, if someone wants to spend £500 on a phone, then that's fine, though personally I can think of a few other things I could buy with the £480 I'd have left :D

depends on what you want to do with the phone,
  • Options
    The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung Galaxy Ace is a good phone. The memory thing can be an issue but just move the apps to the SD card or delete apps that you dont use any more. Like 100 doors :mad: stupid game! Anyway, good phone for the price.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LG E960 (Google Nexus 4)
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

why is that funny? :confused:
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a very early adopter of Huawei G300 and its fantastic but its virtually unobtainable now expect at a premium on ebay . A pal has a Samsung s2 that cost 4 times the price and the G300 is virtually as good and takes far better photos .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Samsung Galaxy Ace is a good phone. The memory thing can be an issue but just move the apps to the SD card or delete apps that you dont use any more. Like 100 doors :mad: stupid game! Anyway, good phone for the price.

But as has been said many times on this thread simply moving the apps to the SD card does not stop some of the very small amount of internal memory being used. Some apps can also not be deleted