One day in London...

mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it doable to:

Arrive at Victoria Station mid morning on a Saturday.

Walk to Buckingham Palace, have a look round, take a few photos.

Walk down The Mall/St James's Park on the way to Covent Garden

If we are not too tired we would like to walk back to the station as well, is there a scenic route that we can do?

Cheap places to eat for lunch? Any ideas where we can do this?

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once walked from Victoria to Liverpool Street. I think it took about an hour and a half. Most people wouldn't do this, but it is perfectly possible so long as you are reasonably fit. Some tube stations are very close together and it is a waste of money to use public transport if you are able to walk moderate distances and aren't in a desperate rush.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Station is not that far from Buck House and very walkable and so is Covernt Garden (just walk up the mall and down the strand prob take you about 15 mins).

Plenty of places to eat dependinh on what you fancy eating, All sorts of prices as well

Depending on when you come and the weather could always eat in the park
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would take a tube to trafalgar square or westminster (big ben / london eye) or somewhere similar and start there. take in the national gallery.walk down the mall. why bother with unscenic bits - not that i know the route from victoria station, but you can easily spend all day just meandering along from Trafalgar Square
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something you are saying you want to take photos of Buckingham Palace? I can't see anything else specific in your post. Apart from why (I've lived here all my life and have never felt the need to photograph Buckingham Palace... .) yes if that's all you want to do, plus walking around, you can do that. I doubt you'll really want to walk from Covent Garden to Victoria though. I walk around everywhere - but most people here don't.

And there is no such thing as a cheap place for lunch in the centre of town.
    Having a good day are we?.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I'm missing something you are saying you want to take photos of Buckingham Palace? I can't see anything else specific in your post. Apart from why (I've lived here all my life and have never felt the need to photograph Buckingham Palace... .) yes if that's all you want to do, plus walking around, you can do that. I doubt you'll really want to walk from Covent Garden to Victoria though. I walk around everywhere - but most people here don't.

Walk to convent garden from Victoria via Buckingham palace is easy and very do-able. 1.7 miles according to google maps.

Just put Victoria to convent garden market into Google maps, hit the walking symbol and bobs your uncle :)

Alternatively catch a number 11 bus, but that won't take you past the palace

Cheap places to eat... Now that depends on what you consider cheap....:o
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Is it doable to:

If we are not too tired we would like to walk back to the station as well, is there a scenic route that we can do?

Of course it is possible to do all these things although these days you don't really need to take photographs as there are so many out there on the internet in Google Images.

Any old Cafe is good for lunch. Use trip advisor before you go to find the best one.
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help.

I've looked at Google Maps and the walk looks fine, we walked more yesterday in temperatures of -6.

We want to go to Covent Garden as my husband wants to go to the big Apple store there so I can look around there while he is there with our 7 yo.

We just want to concentrate on one part instead of rushing around and seeing lots but not really seeing it if you know what I mean.

If the weather is nice I think we will just get something from M&S and eat it outside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing the issue with taking photos lol...that's what camera's were designed to do.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No cheap places for lunch in central London?! Are you having a laff?! Loads of places in soho are reasonably cheap to begin with. Plenty of places also have lunch/pre theatre menus which are good value for money. OP, if you like Indian food and you're in Covent garden, give masala zone a try. There lunch menu is great value and really very tasty.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the help.

I've looked at Google Maps and the walk looks fine, we walked more yesterday in temperatures of -6.

We want to go to Covent Garden as my husband wants to go to the big Apple store there so I can look around there while he is there with our 7 yo.

We just want to concentrate on one part instead of rushing around and seeing lots but not really seeing it if you know what I mean.

If the weather is nice I think we will just get something from M&S and eat it outside.

Plenty to do in Covent Garden, Even if your son dont want to walk around a boring old apple store there are plenty of street performers for him to watch and get involved in, Magic etc.

If the walk so far is not too much, you could even walk to number 10 and big ben etc without too much hardship (from Charing Cross about another 10 mins walk)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Plenty to do in Covent Garden, Even if your son dont want to walk around a boring old apple store there are plenty of street performers for him to watch and get involved in, Magic etc.

If the walk so far is not too much, you could even walk to number 10 and big ben etc without too much hardship (from Charing Cross about another 10 mins walk)

My son won't be bored in the Apple Store;)...but he will like the other stuff.

Hopefully there is enough time in the day to go somewhere else.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

We spent 3 days in London and ate very reasonably every day in Soho . Mind you my daughter led us around and knew all the good cheap places . But thee wer eplenty of reasonably priced and good restaurants to choose from
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the lunch, it depends what you call cheap. Some restaurants do a lunch menu or a 2/3 course for a set price. Off the top of my head - Bella Italia have a few restaurants dotted around with a £9.95, Garfunkels, Chiquito's, Pizza Express, Ed's Easy Diner etc may do as well.

I also agree about taking the bus back to the station if you're going to do all that walking.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the help.

if you are at covent garden, you could have a free tour of the Masonic Buidings in Great Queen Street
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a nice day out to me :) If your walking back you could cross over Waterloo bridge and walk along the south-bank and back over Westminster bridge, have a quick gander at the houses of P then catch the tube back to Victoria.
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We did, with a 4& 5 yr old in tow the following - victoria to Buckingham palace, then through st James park, to Trafalgar Square, took the tube from embankment to the city, then past the Tower of London and onto a Thames boat which took us to the south bank, where we ate at giraffe, walked back across the bridge to embankment and tubed it back to Victoria. Very doable.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The OP obviously hasn't "lived here all my life" so Buckingham Palace will be an attraction for her - and millions of other tourists every year - hence why she wants to take a few snaps. I don't see what the problem is with that at all.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I once walked from Victoria to Liverpool Street. I think it took about an hour and a half

In the USA that would be classed as a "few blocks"!
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, a cab ride then. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Cha cha moon for food'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Covent garden to Victoria is a pleasant walk , you can go down Whitehall and see all the Government buildings. There are also plenty of child friendly pubs in Whitehall. As for the query about the price of meals , yes London is a bit more expensive than most cities , but it is very unlikely that you will be really ripped off unlike Venice or Paris for instance.Pub prices are only about 15% higher than in the provinces .

Personally I 'm not keen on Covent Garden , much too touristy, and the live acts are nothing special, and I think the cafes there are a bit of a rip off
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    In the USA that would be classed as a "few blocks"!

Definitely too far to walk, then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it doable to:

You could probably do all of that in 3 hours, less if you buy a one day travelcard and use the underground. Victoria to Embankment is only about 18 minutes. If you do want to try some cheapish food, the various food trucks around the South Bank Centre are good and offer a lot of variety.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We did, with a 4& 5 yr old in tow the following - victoria to Buckingham palace, then through st James park, to Trafalgar Square, took the tube from embankment to the city, then past the Tower of London and onto a Thames boat which took us to the south bank, where we ate at giraffe, walked back across the bridge to embankment and tubed it back to Victoria. Very doable.
    Sounds like a good sightseeing tour.