I think my flatmate is smoking pot

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Really strong sickly sweet smell, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. And his room door was open the other day & I saw a bong by his bed.

I really don't feel comfortable about this :( I am clean living & I hate smoking anyway plus it's in the tenancy terms & conditions the usual about no illegal activities etc.

Are there potential legal repercussions for me as well if I turn a blind eye and put up with it?

Comments

• austino6austino6 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Join in you might like it!
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn: I think I would vomit
    /|\

I think I'll buy some air freshener spray plus it would drop him a hint :)
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell your flatmate it's time to share.

Puff puff pass. Those are the rules.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Join in. It'd be rude not to.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    :yawn: I think I would vomit
    /|\

I think I'll buy some air freshener spray plus it would drop him a hint :)
    Why not just ask? Tell him that you don't like the smell and it's making you feel sick.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather smell that than a ciggy. Just don't inhale when you walk past his room. Or maybe you should :D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he smoking it in the house? If so I would have to tell him to take it outside, I just cannot stand the smell...

If he's smoking it outside then I wouldn't worry about it :)
  • austino6austino6 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    It sound's like he is smoking some good cheese.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell him you know and if he won't respect the tenancy agreement, then there will be problems. If he's doing it outside, I'd just leave him to it as long as he pays his rent and doesn't eat all your food.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really strong sickly sweet smell, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. And his room door was open the other day & I saw a bong by his bed.

I really don't feel comfortable about this :( I am clean living & I hate smoking anyway plus it's in the tenancy terms & conditions the usual about no illegal activities etc.

Are there potential legal repercussions for me as well if I turn a blind eye and put up with it?

I wouldn't give a crap about the fact that it was pot, I'd be more concerned about the fact that he was smoking in the premises, per se.

If it's in the tenancy agreement not to do anything illegal, then tell him if he doesn't stop smoking pot, you'll tell the landlord.

Either that, or smoke outside.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    If the tenancy agreement is no smoking at all, then get him to smoke outside as you don't want to end up paying for cleaning bills to get rid of smoke stains and smells. If its no drugs, then mind your own business or join him!.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Has he started paying rent yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member

Bong by his bed ? erm pretty sure its weed ! doubt he is smoking tobacco thru it.

Smoking pot is no big deal, but i can understand you dont no hassle from landlord, just ask him to smoke it out window or outside.

When you ask him come bearing gifts such as pizza or other munchie type food.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want good puff, come see old Sil'. Kapiche
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he started paying rent yet?

He's one month behind in arrears but says he'll pay me back in full at end of this month... :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    honestly not to sound too harsh or anything but in my opinion. (not trying to be rude here) if you feel uncomfortable with the actions of the person you are living with, perhaps you shouldn't be living with them. just saying, I'm not tying to shove me nose in where it's not wanted.

also the idea of simply saying something to them is a good idea. just like they say make sure you go with pizza.
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's one month behind in arrears but says he'll pay me back in full at end of this month... :(

He's going to be stoned and more concerned about spending his money on weed than paying his rent
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    austino6 wrote: »
    It sound's like he is smoking some good cheese.

sounds like hash to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk to Frank. That is what he is there for.
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only recently found out that an ex boyfriend of my daughters used to smoke pot on our patio. I just hope the neighbours didn't smell it. ;)

Several years ago I inherited some money so I decide to purchase a hot tub. My husband and I decided to try it out late at night. The next day our next door neighbour asked why my husband and I were having a bbq in November :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    I only recently found out that an ex boyfriend of my daughters used to smoke pot on our patio. I just hope the neighbours didn't smell it. ;)

Several years ago I inherited some money so I decide to purchase a hot tub. My husband and I decided to try it out late at night. The next day our next door neighbour asked why my husband and I were having a bbq in November :D:D:D
    What's that all about dear? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be worse he could have a room full of piss heads fighting at 4AM every morning and throwing up all over the place. I would just tell him can you please keep the door shut as you dont smoke at all.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    I have no sense of smell handy at times!
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Smoking pot is no big deal

It is a big deal. It's illegal.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How predictable that people are either telling the OP to join in, or are scolding them for getting upset by this.

I would not tolerate someone doing drugs of any variety in my house for a second, and if it was a choice between getting them kicked out or moving out myself, I'd fight them all the way. If people want to indulge in illegal, anti-social behaviour they should live by themselves and not force other people to be involved even if not directly.