I made the switch today

bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I made the switch to automatic driving after many many lessons in a manual and getting nowhere.

It was great! I felt more in control. I was able to focus more on the road.

The only issue I have and it is rather a large and annoying one is the steering!!! I can't seem to get the "push and pull" method. I wan't the penny to drop but it's not.

I guess we can count this as my "first" real lesson so maybe I am being harsh.

Just wanted some advice - thanks!

Comments

• ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Stick with manual. Once you have your license you can then switch to an automatic, but if you take your test in an auto then you need to retake it in a manual if you ever want to drive a manual in future.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    If you watch seldom anyone steers how they should.
    Forum Member

True, but if you want to pass the test, you drive like you should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This be true but you have to for your test.
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with manual. Once you have your license you can then switch to an automatic, but if you take your test in an auto then you need to retake it in a manual if you ever want to drive a manual in future.

This is all true BUT as they have stated they cannot get on with a manual car they should stick to auto, I passed my test in 1978 on a manual & have basically driven an automatic ever since, back then 98% of people drove manuals now everyone I know drives an automatic, chances are if you have to take your test on an automatic that really should not be a hindrance in the years to come, your probably find it easier to learn on an automatic, I would not worry about struggling on lesson one, I think your be fine a couple of lessons down the line.
    Good luck
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the push and pull method? I passed my test 22 years ago and have never heard of it.

Edit - I just looked it up and it's how I was taught to steer, it just didn't have a name back then.
    Forum Member
    chaz rich wrote: »
    This is all true BUT as they have stated they cannot get on with a manual car they should stick to auto, I passed my test in 1978 on a manual & have basically driven an automatic ever since, back then 98% of people drove manuals now everyone I know drives an automatic, chances are if you have to take your test on an automatic that really should not be a hindrance in the years to come, your probably find it easier to learn on an automatic, I would not worry about struggling on lesson one, I think your be fine a couple of lessons down the line.
    Good luck

It's more for the sake of choice than anything - if there comes a point in the future where the OP wants to drive a manual, then they will have to retake the test. I personally would stick with the manual, as sometimes it can take time to get used to doing so much at once - but as soon as it becomes an instinctive thing (muscle memory with practice) driving becomes the easiest thing in the world to do.

The key to learning everything is to get yourself to the point where you don't have to think about it. That's the goal, really. It's why the very best footballers can pull out some mad tekkers, because they rarely have to think about it.

The brain is the biggest obstacle in the world when it comes to learning :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    What is the push and pull method? I passed my test 22 years ago and have never heard of it.

Well you don't grip the wheel, you push it round and pull it through. It is all very light and airy.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you don't grip the wheel, you push it round and pull it through. It is all very light and airy.

Yes, I just looked it up and see that it's how I was taught, it just didn't have a name back then!
  • ______ Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    bk2006 wrote: »
    I made the switch to automatic driving after many many lessons in a manual and getting nowhere.

It was great! I felt more in control. I was able to focus more on the road.

The only issue I have and it is rather a large and annoying one is the steering!!! I can't seem to get the "push and pull" method. I wan't the penny to drop but it's not.

I guess we can count this as my "first" real lesson so maybe I am being harsh.

Just wanted some advice - thanks!

its not rocket science
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried for 18 months in a manual. Got nowhere.
    Spent 3 months learning in an automatic and passed.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Edit - I just looked it up and it's how I was taught to steer, it just didn't have a name back then.

I had to look it up too, never heard it being called that before :confused:
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If an automatic's easier for them then they are probably always going to drive one of those.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It was called 'feeding the wheel' when I was a learner - but that was back in the '80s.
  • bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel like a complete tard atm because i know it's "easy" but my hands just don't want to do it properly lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you've eliminated your inability to control a gear stick, now your only problem is the steering wheel?
  • bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you've eliminated your inability to control a gear stick, now your only problem is the steering wheel?

pretty much if i could crack that then i'd be half way there
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol.

OP how do you manage to fasten your seatbelt? :eek: :D
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member

My thought exactly.

Apart from dodgy gear changing and steering, everything seems to be going really well.
    bk2006 wrote: »
    pretty much if i could crack that then i'd be half way there

Halfway to where?

Please let me know so that I can arrange to be many miles away.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP needs to be learning in a car like THIS
    :D
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was called 'feeding the wheel' when I was a learner - but that was back in the '80s.

That's what it was called last year when I was learning, I was actually wondering what on earth the op was talking about at first!

Why don't you do a lesson where you just practice feeding the wheel? I remember doing ten minutes just driving round an empty car park going in circles just constantly feeding the wheel until I got it.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learned on a manual, took my test on a manual and passed and that was it.
    I wouldn't dream of buying a stick shift car, automatic for me, all day long.
    The only times I've reverted to a stick is when renting cars abroad, and even then only if no auto was available.
    I just can't be ar**d with all that shifting gears.
    As for that "push and pull" lark with steering, if you can't steer a car you might as well quit trying to learn to drive and get an Oyster card.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you can't steer a car you might as well quit trying to learn to drive

I had about eight driving lessons before giving up because I just couldn't get the hang of steering the car! That, however, was due to my having dyspraxia, meaning my coordination is pretty bad. The gears were also a problem for me. Oh and the brakes, clutch etc. Hopefully the OP can manage one of those things, or least take a better crack at them than I did! Hmm, so what could I do well...open and close the windows? Ha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ___ wrote: »
    its not rocket science

Whilst this is quite harshly put, the poster does have a point. You couldn't cope with gears so you've switched to a manual, but I'm afraid you can't avoid the steering issue. There isn't a way for the method to be made easier because its such a basic thing to learn. Have you discussed the matter with your driving instruction? As you're paying him/her, they should be providing you with this guidance.
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ___ wrote: »
    its not rocket science

It's not but then it's one less thing to worry about when learning.