Options

How I Met Your Mother

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I'm not convinced he is in love with her. I think he loves the idea of her. He wants to settle down and now Robin is ready to settle down, he's wants her again. He always wants her when she's not available.

I also don't think he would be talking about her like he does to his kids if he had split from their mother. He can say the things he says because that's how he felt before he met his wife and it's in the past. Plus, future Ted was obviously in love with the mother in (spoiler for future US episode)
    The Time Travelers. Ted says, “Hi. I’m Ted Mosby, and exactly 45 days from now, you and I are going to meet... and we’re going to fall in love. And we’re going to get married. And... we’re going to have two kids. And were going to love them and each other so much. All that is 45 days away. But I’m here now, I guess, because I want those extra 45 days... with you, I want each one of them. Look, and if I can’t have them, I’ll have the 45 seconds before your boyfriend shows up and punches me in the face, because I love you. I am always going to love you. Until the end of my days... and beyond. You’ll see.”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    The show always seems to go back to Ted/Robin though, especially with the comment from Marshall when Lily asked him to pay up on the bet and Marshall said "not yet" and the comment from Victoria when she told Ted that she hopes he gets her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    It's always gone back to them because Ted has yet to meet the mother, the woman who he seems to think is perfect for him. Robin always had something missing. They didn't want the same things. Ted's future comments in that episode would make no sense if he ended up with Robin. He is clearly head over heels for the mother still.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well we'll find out in the next series! Can't believe it's the last one :(
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Check this out. PMSL :)

"How I Met Your Mother - Ted's Kids Like You've Never Seen Them".

Finally they get a scene :D

http://www.cbs.com/shows/how_i_met_your_mother/video/3061A7E6-E7A7-5861-665E-F93CBD0DFEB2/how-i-met-your-mother-ted-s-kids-like-you-ve-never-seen-them/
  • Options
    cassiopeacassiopea Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeff_ers wrote: »
    could it actually be 'How I Met Your Surrogate Mother'? as we know Robin can't have kids?
    I think that's a good idea. Maybe she is an egg donor but Robin carried the children? I forget why exactly Robin cannot have children but it may be that she cannot produce eggs and could actually carry a child, or vice versa.

I do think there is something to be said that there's a major twist as in an interview one of writers stated we will see what has "really" been going on.

I did wonder if maybe we are wrong in assuming that it's Ted telling the story but then that doesn't work with the story telling.
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Her connection with Barney and Robin is simply the fact she plays bass in the band hired for the wedding, therefore she won't have any close personal connection.

Wasn't there an episode where Ted said the Mother lived with Robin at some point. Or did she live with Victoria? EDIT - she lived with Cindy so no connection.

I'd rather it wasn't because Ted is leaving the Mother for Robin and I'd prefer the idea of a surrogate mother.

From watching some of the promos, it looks like the Mother is exactly Ted's type.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normally I'm a fan of the tea time style american sitcoms but this show is just plain awful.

It's not funny.

It's not warm and feel good.

It's actually quite seedy and horrible.

I hate it.

Anyone else hate it?

I love it
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cassiopea wrote: »
    I think that's a good idea. Maybe she is an egg donor but Robin carried the children? I forget why exactly Robin cannot have children but it may be that she cannot produce eggs and could actually carry a child, or vice versa.

I do think there is something to be said that there's a major twist as in an interview one of writers stated we will see what has "really" been going on.

I did wonder if maybe we are wrong in assuming that it's Ted telling the story but then that doesn't work with the story telling.

Wasn't there an episode where Ted said the Mother lived with Robin at some point. Or did she live with Victoria? EDIT - she lived with Cindy so no connection.

I'd rather it wasn't because Ted is leaving the Mother for Robin and I'd prefer the idea of a surrogate mother.

From watching some of the promos, it looks like the Mother is exactly Ted's type.

bib - agree it's a good idea too but Robin is referred to as 'Aunt Robin' (not mum) throughout the storytelling
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Dont think there was ever an explanation for why Robin can't have kids.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont think there was ever an explanation for why Robin can't have kids.

I thought it was medical?
  • Options
    jay seanjay sean Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    The new series starts this week in America, I can't wait to watch it this weekend!
  • Options
    Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is medical. The ep starts with her talking to her "children" and the whole episode Robin thinks she is pregnant with Barneys child, she goes to the doctors office at the end and finds out she can't have children, the "children" at the start of the ep then fade away... One of the saddest episodes from HIMYM. Infact, in the later years of the series they got very good at doing, what I like too call, flipper episodes - Where one minute everything is happy and laughing and the next minute, we are balling our eyes out - The Time Travelers episode is another one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the strongest opener we've had for a while! I think the added focus and endgame will really help to bring out everything HIMYM is good at, and help avoid some of the looseness.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Good opener, still have a few worries about the format but the episode helped ease them a bit. The scene with Ted and the mother was brilliantly done, and by the end of the season I'm sure we'll know everything we need to know about her and their future together. That we wouldn't get to know her is something I've worried about since the first season. Loved Lily's scenes, most I've enjoyed her since Season 6, definitely helped that she was away from Marshall.

One problem though, Marshall's road trip with Sherri Shepherd, to say I'm dreading it would be an understatement. I like the actress but when she needs to paired with someone quieter for balance, and Jason Segel (who's performance I've had problems with since Season 3) isn't. There scenes brought down the episode and I'm worried they'll bring down the season.

What I'm really interested in this season is how Ted and Robin will play out, they have always been what this series has been about imo. They're never going to be together, but how Ted is finally able to let go of her will be interesting, and probably devastating, to watch. Like in her wonderful review of the last season's finale, the AV Club reviewer puts it better than I ever could.
    But Ted has other plans for this weekend, and the last-minute jitters of the bride and groom are likely to aid his cause. Four days before setting off upstate, he went to L.A., where the locket Robin didn’t find in Central Park might be in Stella’s storage locker. I expect some outrage about this development from fans who made it very clear at the end of last year that they want no more waffling about Robin from Ted. But I am not in their camp. I wrote about it in the recap for “Something New,” last season’s finale:

This show started with Ted and Robin. It’s not going to reach its titular moment, much less its final season endgame, without returning to Ted and Robin. Not only do I not mind this fact, but I’m happy to see it. Ted’s search for true love has become especially poignant this year. Robin’s engagement and impending marriage have raised for him an unavoidable question: Was she here all along? … This story, like all good stories, isn’t about getting to the ending. Good stories are about the hero becoming the person that the ending can happen to.

Much of the drama of this season is going to be about Ted’s internal conflict about Robin. Robin has always been the hinge of his story; I imagine that at the end of this season we could look back at the whole story as “How I Let Go Of Your Aunt Robin.” It’s given us, just this past couple of seasons, some absolutely devastating moments (the final shot of “The Final Page” comes to mind). I’ve never been one who believes that Ted is the weakest part of his own narrative, and when Josh Radnor puts on that damn-the-torpedoes face while buying the plane ticket and driving alone toward Farhampton, I believe in Ted’s determination to make some desperate gesture, to force the Robin issue. And I’m concerned, not in the way you get when you think a show is going off the rails and betraying its characters, but in the way you get when Jesse Pinkman is hiding under a car and Walter White is about to rat him out. I’m concerned that these characters are going to hurt each other doing what they feel they have to do, motivated by anger or fear or regret. I am certain it’s going to be compelling, but I also know it’s going to hurt to watch.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-locketcoming-back,103004/
  • Options
    labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 9 is gonna be a tear jerker isn't it :cry:

Looking forward to watching the premiere later, seems its got largely good reviews. I'm worried about the season stretching out a whole weekend...

Also, are we going to have a whole series where Marshall is separated from the rest of the gang?! Argh, this season is going to be a strange one, format wise!
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check this out. PMSL :)
    "How I Met Your Mother - Ted's Kids Like You've Never Seen Them".
    :D Great stuff and I haven't even been following the show. :p
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

Yea but they didn't actually say what the condition was it was just glossed over. She missed a period, thought she was pregnant the doctor "ran some tests" and that was it.
    A poster above was saying they couldn't remember the reason as it might be relevant if there was a surrogate storyline or something, I should've quoted that post, was on mobile and effed it up :)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a very good opening. Hopefully a definite ending date will now concentrate the minds of the writers and we'll get the fantastic final season that the early years deserved.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the first 2years of HIMYM were good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely brilliant opener to the last season, thoroughly enjoyed it:D I am a massive Ted/Robin fan and before watching that episode I was convinced the writers had a twist up their sleeves and that ultimately Ted will end up with Robin as she has been the person that he has loved the most the past 9 years, but now I'm unsure:(

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen so far of The Mother she is lovely and I don't mind Barney/Robin as a couple but Ted/Robin's relationship has just been so beautiful to watch and I would love to see him win her back!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I was worried that Ted/the Mother wouldn't have any chemistry or wouldn't work together but they were absolutely perfect in that scene, weren't they?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    When is E4 showing the new season does anyone know?
  • Options
    labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripes85 wrote: »
    I was worried that Ted/the Mother wouldn't have any chemistry or wouldn't work together but they were absolutely perfect in that scene, weren't they?

They were :)

Enjoyed the two episodes a lot. Really don't want it to come to an end now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dbramley wrote: »
    When is E4 showing the new season does anyone know?

Probably sometime in the new year, they're usually very behind with things! Best just watch it online
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is anyone still watching, or just don't have anything to say....

where did the mother go, she's been absent 4 episodes now :(

This is the final season - why are we being subjected to 'filler' episodes when we want to learn about the mother!!