EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Is it just me or have EE got about as much chance of getting 98% 4G coverage by the end of the year as we have of ending up with a Prime Minister called Nick or Nigel?
    :)

Now that is unfair even Nigel has more chance than Nick.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I dunno, the latest update I had they were roughly on target. What you see on the map/experience is completely different to what has been already upgraded. There is all the chance rUK could have a PM with a name starting with N.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or have EE got about as much chance of getting 98% 4G coverage by the end of the year as we have of ending up with a Prime Minister called Nick or Nigel?
    :)

Officially they've dropped the 98% claim. Olaf says 90% by the end of the year now.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Surely some of Cornwall is in that 90% isn't it?
    I can find nowhere down there where it says "in the next 6 months".
    Bearing in mind we are going into June now.
    Why is Cornwall getting such a raw deal. Does EE have a grudge or something??
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely some of Cornwall is in that 90% isn't it?
    I can find nowhere down there where it says "in the next 6 months".
    Bearing in mind we are going into June now.
    Why is Cornwall getting such a raw deal. Does EE have a grudge or something??
    Lincolnshire is getting quite a raw deal- the only town in the county with EE 4G currently is Lincoln. I do think that EE are picking which towns to activate first based on demographics and not population.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Lincolnshire is getting quite a raw deal- the only town in the county with EE 4G currently is Lincoln. I do think that EE are picking which towns to activate first based on demographics and not population.

Or maybe its down to location / availability of back haul transit.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »

This.

North of the central belt, Scotland only has Aberdeen on a few transmitters and Dundee.
    Forum Member

If that was the case surely Cornwall would have been first. I should imagine there's more fibre in Cornwall than anywhere else! :)
    Forum Member
    If that was the case surely Cornwall would have been first. I should imagine there's more fibre in Cornwall than anywhere else! :)
    Domestic grade PON shared services yet - but is there corporate Gigabit with service levels? That is the question.

There are lots of masts around here that are good 3G/MBNL masts that I'm very surprised are not yet 4G, and all I can suspect is delays getting the faster backhaul to them.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Domestic grade PON shared services yet - but is there corporate Gigabit with service levels? That is the question.

There are lots of masts around here that are good 3G/MBNL masts that I'm very surprised are not yet 4G, and all I can suspect is delays getting the faster backhaul to them.

In BT's case the availability of PON suggests that there's plenty of backhaul on their own network at least.

Virgin's "network" certainly comes down here, even if they clearly are leasing fibre from the local electricity DNO to do it (the routes and PoPs are inexplicably identical to the DNO's maps), and I'm personally aware of smaller customers who seem to have hefty fibre links via the DNO's network.

There are plenty of clearly "MBNL'ed" and high quality masts around here, on the one outside my village I can get 25+Mbps no problem. 3 seem to think that a number of towns here will be 4G by the end of the year, so they must be working on the basis that sufficient backhaul is either available now or will be soon. I'm hoping that their definition of a town is quite loose and might include the outlying villages, but that seems pretty unlikely. No idea what EE are doing.

Cornwall's not that backward... :)
  • NeilgcalNeilgcal Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Hi Lucan .. Or anyone else in the know.

Back on 27 April an Orange mast went down in Aberdeenshire near to Tarland. I am aware of it as I'm sometimes working up that way as near the family home however a few friends living there are losing the plot.

Can you check and see if there is a fault with the mast and if it's due to be fixed? The area is not covered by a T Mobile mast so I highly doubt it's been decommissioned. That said I highly doubt it's being upgraded either as it's pretty remote and Aberdeen City itself is only in the process of being upgraded.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Neil
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neilgcal wrote: »

Back on 27 April an Orange mast went down in Aberdeenshire near to Tarland. I am aware of it as I'm sometimes working up that way as near the family home however a few friends living there are losing the plot.

Can you check and see if there is a fault with the mast and if it's due to be fixed? The area is not covered by a T Mobile mast so I highly doubt it's been decommissioned. That said I highly doubt it's being upgraded either as it's pretty remote and Aberdeen City itself is only in the process of being upgraded.

Cheers
    Neil

A similar thing happened a few months ago to a couple of rural Orange masts around Methlick and Ellon. They were back on in a few days.
    Forum Member
    4G moving up the A38 from Plymouth. Had a weak signal in Ivybridge this morning.
    Rest of South Devon would be nice though! :)
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4G moving up the A38 from Plymouth. Had a weak signal in Ivybridge this morning.
    Rest of South Devon would be nice though! :)

Haha you are likely going get 4G before I do even though it has been saying within 6 months on coverage checker since late July early august nearly a year later and still not arrived lol,
    Forum Member
    4G moving up the A38 from Plymouth. Had a weak signal in Ivybridge this morning. Rest of South Devon would be nice though! :)
    Good to hear you might get 4G before end of summer. I know someone in Ivybridge who would be happy too :)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Neilgcal wrote: »

Cheers
    Neil

Upgrades. Also Aberdeen itself upgrades are in an advanced stage, lack of on site upgrades is not the issue north of Livingston. It's connecting them with sufficient backhaul. Up that way will get done when the issues with sites just on the outside of the city are solved. Even in a large town like Ellon there was until recently major backhaul capacity issues.

What's the actual reception like in Tarland just now, was pretty bad the last time I was there. Noticed there is nothing on Rootmetrics so it's been awhile since I was there like!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upgrades. Also Aberdeen itself upgrades are in an advanced stage, lack of on site upgrades is not the issue north of Livingston. It's connecting them with sufficient backhaul. Up that way will get done when the issues with sites just on the outside of the city are solved. Even in a large town like Ellon there was until recently major backhaul capacity issues.

What's the actual reception like in Tarland just now, was pretty bad the last time I was there. Noticed there is nothing on Rootmetrics so it's been awhile since I was there like!

Good to see that the 4G process is improving backhaul upgrades to the North East as a whole, at long last.

Alford and Tarland seem to be an MBNL black hole... Poor when I went out there last.

Alford's a sizable place as well...

Meanwhile, Vodafone still aren't providing 3G in Ellon. The only network not to do so.
    Forum Member

It was never great but fine outdoors. Now there's about a 6 mile black spot with no outdoor coverage and has been for 6 weeks.
  • randolf105randolf105 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Looks like they are away to upgrade the backhall to an old orange mast in my town, up in NE Scotland. Noticed the other day that BT have it marked out to lay ducts and boxes upto it. Hopefully 4G soon!

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got no data in AB24 tonight. Trying to force phone onto Orange to see if that will work.

EDIT: no, it doesn't. Poo.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucan, or anyone else.... any idea when Shrewsbury is likely to get 4G? I find it strange that coverage is available a few miles to the east but the coverage checker says 'none', not even coming soon for Shrewsbury itself.

Is this a case of backhaul issues, or just not on the plan for this year?
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    I've got no data in AB24 tonight. Trying to force phone onto Orange to see if that will work.

EDIT: no, it doesn't. Poo.

I haven't in Glasgow since 730 on 3G or 4G but that's it back to normal now.
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    No data working down here, 2G, 3G or 4G from about 8pm to 9pm. Came back itself. Weird.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Global ticket was raised for the issue - affected most people. Lasted 90 mins tops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Global ticket was raised for the issue - affected most people. Lasted 90 mins tops.

It's still not quite back to normal today - it's working on 4G, but 3G is slow and buffering when trying to listen to radio stream, it's usually fine.
This discussion has been closed.