Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding Plymouth being switched on and the coverage map being updated. I've checked on 2 browsers and can't see anything to say that Plymouth has been switched on. It just says "coming soon".

Here's what I see if it helps:
    http://i.imgur.com/Gq5zHcJ.png
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know approximately how far a mast broadcasting at 1800mhz will travel? I was just wondering as my town and the one neighbouring are due to be getting 4G before the end of the year. I'm assuming they're only going to switch on 1 or 2 masts per town as that seems to be the norm. I'm interested to know what my chances of receiving the signal will be.

Regarding Plymouth being switched on and the coverage map being updated. I've checked on 2 browsers and can't see anything to say that Plymouth has been switched on. It just says "coming soon".

I'm about 3 miles from the edge of the official coverage area for my nearest mast (By official coverage, I mean the scattered blocks right at the edge, I'm 3 miles from those) at work, and outdoors I can get 4G some of the time, with speeds up to 40Meg. It just depends on the mast and local terrain.
  • InformationwarInformationwar Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Thank you. Sounds like I should be ok then :) just looking forward for the day my H turns into an L or a 4G symbol now then. It shouldn't be too long.
  • Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FmBandScan wrote: »
    I agree, Grimsby needs 4G!

I live both Lincoln and Grimsby.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a disappointment! After 5 weeks (!) of maintenance and the coverage checker showing 4G being at my postcode soon, I don't have 4G at home, the coverage checker says "Very good service", but the map shows I'm very close to the coverage/non coverage boarder, but obviously on the wrong side.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coverage checker has shown major improvement, in my area at least to the north of London where there was a huge gap seems mostly filled, but I've noticed no difference at all in or around my area which is a shame...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    What a disappointment! After 5 weeks (!) of maintenance and the coverage checker showing 4G being at my postcode soon, I don't have 4G at home, the coverage checker says "Very good service", but the map shows I'm very close to the coverage/non coverage boarder, but obviously on the wrong side.

Yeah it's a bit silly really. It seems any area where the map shows indoor/outdoor 4g coverage, even if it's on the extreme edge, it's considered "Very good service". I have the same in my area and it's just not true.

The best I've seen in an outdoor 4g coverage spot is 2 bars. The coverage is extremely spotty at best and if you want to stay connected to 4g you have to force LTE only because the outdoor coverage is between 0 and 1 bars. There's only 1 activated mast here but still, the coverage is not as good as the map says.

They have 4G'd my local mast but it's still pumping out DC-HSDPA, I don't know when they are gonna activate 4G on it, but I can't wait! The coverage map doesn't even say within 3 months for my postcode which is strange, it just goes from very good service to no 4g availability.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 1-2 bars on 4G, but my phone still opts to stay on this almost always - even though I have 5 bars when on 3G.

What's more, as I walk towards the EE HQ - I still only get 2-3 bars until I'm virtually at the site. Presumably both EE and Three are still transmitting 4G on a lower power to make sure there's always 2G or 3G too.

I wouldn't therefore read too much into the signal meter on your phone as even when I've had no bars (but not no service) I can still get speeds of 4-5Mbps which seems bizarre. I do wonder why the phone reports signal so differently for LTE, as there's no logic surely in having it show 0-1 bars when it's still a good, usable, signal in comparison to problems you might have on 3G with more.

On the map, my road is shown as good outdoors only which is pretty accurate. I wish I knew why there's this little blip, as there's good indoor coverage further on and we're not in a dip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I do force LTE and have no bars, I still get better speeds than 3g in most cases, although the upload seems to stutter a bit. It does make sense that the network prefers good signal 3G over bad signal 4G as there are certain dead spots I've noticed when walking around where the 4G just drops in very particular spots. It just annoys me that they call it very good service.

And I would definitely agree that it's being broadcast at a lower power than 3G, I was right next to the 4G mast getting 3/4 bars on my S4.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so when will they begin broadcasting at a higher power?
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so when will they begin broadcasting at a higher power?

I'd say it's when Three (and others) have VoLTE and as such don't need to worry about users having anything else to fall back on.

I hope we'll hear more about this later in the year, as the lack of this makes it hard for Three to use 800MHz in rural areas or in cities, given that 4G might get deeper into offices and basements, when 3G at 2100MHz won't.

Personally, I don't think consumers would have been quite so upset if the industry had foreseen the issues and considered having something on the status bar to perhaps state that you had a data signal, but not voice.

Yes, some people would moan but let's consider what the choices are;

1) Have a stronger 4G signal that allows people to use data in areas where they might not now, but not be able to make or receive calls/texts.

2) Have no 4G signal, and not be able to make or receive calls/texts.

And once VoLTE arrives, problem solved.
  • Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the coverage map updated, 4G is now in Sutton Coldfield. I just a shame that it doesn't reach as far as I had hoped.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was looking at this on three. Never been with three so don't know how good or bad they are.
    Ultimate Internet SIM 600 12 months
    All-you-can-eat data
    600 minutes
    5000 texts
    £15.90 a month
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Grimsby needs 4G!

It can't be too long away now.

When I'm in Louth, I don't expect to get any 4G any time soon, but in my location I get 12Mbps down / 3Mbps up on 3G using a Huawei E5776
  • Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Alex_1 wrote: »
    Now officially have very good service according to the coverage checker :)
    I've actually had 4G for several weeks now and I'm very happy....the map still has me as no coverage though.

The latest map update has my area fully RED now.

Large swathes of Leeds are now RED or BLUE.

Sorry for all you who are still waiting
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im hoping that as soon as Three announce VOLTE is now active the rollout speed will increase dramatically, as they are obviously still going round upgrading sites ready. but not turning them on for the fears of people complaining about not being able to make calls and stuff in certain areas.
  • FmBandScanFmBandScan Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be too long away now.

When I'm in Louth, I don't expect to get any 4G any time soon, but in my location I get 12Mbps down / 3Mbps up on 3G using a Huawei E5776

I wish I got that here, even with a DC-HSDPA supported device you are knocking off the 1 on the download speed and halving the upload speed:(
  • ironlegironleg Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »

Mine says the same and shows my house (Nr Aldershot) as being in an indoor area, but..... due to the local topography and a woods there isn't a hope in hell of it reaching me. Even the outdoors reception isn't there for hundreds of meters around either. I've had a good walk around and need to go over the border into Aldershot before anything is received. The mast that feeds my house here is closer to Farnham, the H+ signal from that is OK.
    I assume these are just computer predictions of the service area??
    Ah well, I guess I wait until next year when hopefully more masts are activated. :cry:
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    ironleg wrote: »
    Mine says the same and shows my house (Nr Aldershot) as being in an indoor area, but..... due to the local topography and a woods there isn't a hope in hell of it reaching me.
    Farnborough is pretty similar. There seems to be one active 4g mast in North camp yet the map / checker thinks you can pick this up in Farnborough town centre, no such luck. The town centre mast isn't even H+ yet for 3G but the last weekends update implies that is now available. Hmm
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    ironleg wrote: »
    Mine says the same and shows my house (Nr Aldershot) as being in an indoor area, but..... due to the local topography and a woods there isn't a hope in hell of it reaching me. Even the outdoors reception isn't there for hundreds of meters around either. I've had a good walk around and need to go over the border into Aldershot before anything is received. The mast that feeds my house here is closer to Farnham, the H+ signal from that is OK.
    I assume these are just computer predictions of the service area??
    Ah well, I guess I wait until next year when hopefully more masts are activated. :cry:

The maps would make more sense if you forced your phone to 4G only.

The 3G signal is closer and thus stronger, but yeh, topography comes into it as well ofc.
  • Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I got that here, even with a DC-HSDPA supported device you are knocking off the 1 on the download speed and halving the upload speed:(

At my parents in Cleethorpes (next too football stadium) I get 28down 3up. There must be extra capacity for the football games.
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Farnborough is pretty similar. There seems to be one active 4g mast in North camp yet the map / checker thinks you can pick this up in Farnborough town centre, no such luck. The town centre mast isn't even H+ yet for 3G but the last weekends update implies that is now available. Hmm

I work in the Military area and again its not anywhere near what they predict. The North Camp mast I believe is at Salesian College, the area shown to the airfield isn't what they predict either. I thought they would have made an effort with Farnborough International Airshow due in July!
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

The 3G signal is closer and thus stronger, but yeh, topography comes into it as well ofc.

The best as I can do with my Nokia is to set it to highest speed of 4G in the sim menu, it seems to default to weak 4G quite quickly. I did do this before my walk around. I know it's not accurate, but the hill and the trees and the fact my house is downhill the other side too, makes it strange their computer model seems to think it would get here.

I'm not moaning btw, just pointing out about the maps, I've got a good signal otherwise and fibre BB so it's not like I need it!
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's maintenance planned for masts around my office today, PR2 2DY but I'm not sure what it's for. The map shows 4g coverage in my area but it simply doesn't exist here. The only places in Preston I've been able to get 4g are the ones shown on the map as having indoor and outdoor coverage.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

In my case even LTE only doesn't work, I get no signal. Obviously I know the coverage maps aren't 100% accurate. But I don't understand why the pin for my postcode puts me in a no 4G coverage area, but the text says "Very good service".
This discussion has been closed.