Options

BBC or ITV for final

Comments

• Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever channel the pub puts on but as usual the BBC will trounce ITV in the ratings.

Not that there's a huge amount in the coverage for me these days, but adverts will always drive folk away.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't watch the build up, can't be bothered with the half time analysis so ads/presenters don't bother me. Will just watch whatever channel is on at the time.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be watching the BBC build up etc and switch to ITV for the match commentary.

Clive Tyldesley has had a very good world cup, in my view, and I would accept putting up with Townsend to listen to him. The BBC, O'Neill aside, are miles in front for the studio battle.

The way some people differentiate between the channels you would think they are showing two completely different matches.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC, can't stand those betting adverts on ITV.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    I will be watching the BBC build up etc and switch to ITV for the match commentary.

Clive Tyldesley has had a very good world cup, in my view, and I would accept putting up with Townsend to listen to him. The BBC, O'Neill aside, are miles in front for the studio battle.

The way some people differentiate between the channels you would think they are showing two completely different matches.

This for me also probably although depends on who the commentators are. Assuming it will be Tyldesley and Townsend for ITV I'll go ITV fior the main match. I don't mind Townsend personally despite what everyone else says. He's preferable to Lawro and Phil Neville IMO!

BBC for the build up and analysis though.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NiteOwl12 wrote: »
    BBC, simply because I can synchronise with radio 5 and not have to endure the television commentators and pundits.

Is the match not on 981, or one of the red button channels?

That is much easier than synchronising the tv with the radio I would have thought.:confused::confused:
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The red button allows you to play alternative commentary which is what I assume NiteOwl means.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The red button allows you to play alternative commentary which is what I assume NiteOwl means.

Oh I thought that he meant trying to synch up a radio with the tv pictures, rather than just flicking onto one of the red button channels, if it is the latter, then I misjudged what he meant, sorry about that. :blush::blush::blush:
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to go with...
    BBC
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC always.

No ads and most importantly no Chiles! ;-)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC so I won't have to watch ads or hear the awful 'Braaazilllll Brazil'

That is the only good part of ITV's coverage.

I asked this question to a number of friends last weekend in the pub and every single one, without exception, agree with me. It has to be the BBC.

My parents and other family also say the same.

I'm sure in the last two World Cup's ITV didn't even bother showing the final but I may be wrong, in fact I probably am.
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Oh I thought that he meant trying to synch up a radio with the tv pictures, rather than just flicking onto one of the red button channels, if it is the latter, then I misjudged what he meant, sorry about that. :blush::blush::blush:

No problem, batdude, it is easy to miss the sense of something in these forums.. Last night I tried watching on ITV while listening to the commentary on radio 5, as I find Townsend almost as asinine as Chiles, but the lag between image and audio really was too much. No red button or channel 982-5 on ITV for alternative commentary, hence why I prefer BBC.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC, simply because I can synchronise with radio 5 and not have to endure the television commentators and pundits.

Is there a time lag between the radio sound and TV picture?

The radio presenters should have the TV image in front of them so they can see what viewers are seeing such as a replay - but feel free to talk about something else for those without a picture.

EDIT

Sorry point just covered.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed on some BBC games that the red button had an option of Radio 1 commentary too. Did anyone brave that sea of emptiness?
  • Options
    humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. will watch on BBC with radio commentary. The radio commentators are far more knowledgeable. You don't have so much of the drivel such as "that was the first time Newcastle have scored since Alan Shearer's dog died"..
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Would imagine it's Guy Mowbray/Mark Lawrenson for the BBC and Clive Tyldesley/Andy Townsend for ITV.

I'll flick between both for the build up and prob have the five live comm on the red button for the match.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I've noticed on some BBC games that the red button had an option of Radio 1 commentary too. Did anyone brave that sea of emptiness?

I watched about two minutes with the Radio One commenary. It was really dire but not as bad as the CBBC Commentary with Hacker T Dog, that was a real low point in broadcasting history. It made the Radio 1 version seem almost as good as 'They think it's all over' . Even Clive Tyldesley/Andy Townsend has never been as low as that.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV for me.

I think the narrative about ITV's coverage is a bit of a cliche.

I don't find it any worse than BBC's & I like the fact that they have advertisements & I can get up & not feel as though I've missed anything.
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Is there a time lag between the radio sound and TV picture?

The radio presenters should have the TV image in front of them so they can see what viewers are seeing such as a replay - but feel free to talk about something else for those without a picture.

EDIT

Sorry point just covered.

Just to expand a little, the radio 5 commentary is merely a few seconds ahead of the TV pictures; it doesn't sound like much, but it is sufficient to ruin the experience for me. Accessing the radio 5 commentary via the red button or channel 982-5, exclusive to BBC coverage, eliminates this problem completely. I might add in the build up to games, quite different pictures may be shown via the red button and the normal BBC coverage. So for the Brazil v Germany semi-final, instead of pictures of the pundits, via the red button there was live footage of the crowd, and we saw the players of the two opposing teams warmly greeting each other before they lined up to march onto the field of play.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Bbc..
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I'll watch the BBC due to lack of adverts and to avoid Glen Hoddle and Gordon Strachan.

To be honest, I'm a supporter of public service broadcasting and the BBC so I will nearly always watch the BBC cover major events when there is a choice. ITV actually has to show me they are better, rather than just as good, for me to watch them though I find their coverage fine when they are the only option. It may seem unreasonable but I suspect I am not the only one to feel this way.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Just to expand a little, the radio 5 commentary is merely a few seconds ahead of the TV pictures; it doesn't sound like much, but it is sufficient to ruin the experience for me. Accessing the radio 5 commentary via the red button or channel 982-5, exclusive to BBC coverage, eliminates this problem completely. I might add in the build up to games, quite different pictures may be shown via the red button and the normal BBC coverage. So for the Brazil v Germany semi-final, instead of pictures of the pundits, via the red button there was live footage of the crowd, and we saw the players of the two opposing teams warmly greeting each other before they lined up to march onto the field of play.

My TV is actually about 15-20 seconds behind my radio. It can be quite handy as I can listen in the kitchen, hear a goal and have plenty of time to saunter into the living room to watch it happen :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    I love Cannavaro's insights. He is an absolut legend and always understood the game pefectly as a player and everything he says makes a lot of sense.
    Only if you can make sense of what he's saying ;)
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    No breaks, no Chiles, no Townsend.

My thoughts exactly. Bloody Chiles gets on my nerves. Hi welcome to the game..Now a break..welcome back..now a break. Does my head in.

BBC all the way. I wish Seesorf & Henry were in the studio though.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Only if you can make sense of what he's saying ;)

I too struggle to understand half the things he says due to his thick accent. But even then he's still better than Lee Dixon. All Fabio needs to do is sit there and look cool and even then he outshines Chiles and co :D