silent witness on bbc1 now

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't take to the insipid "blue effect." It's so depressing.

It's s'pposed to be "colour" TV for chissakes.

Compare that with the excellent, "The Good Wife" or "Suits" screened at the same time, where they don't rely on such gimmicks to create an "atmosphere."
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotlass wrote: »
    Thought tonight's episode was good, looking forward to part 2 tomorrow.

Same here. I'm glad we're seeing more of Jack's character and his past. Am I right in thinking that Jack protected his brother and actually committed the GBH himself? But his brother took the blame and went to prison for him. The theory just crossed my mind.

I agree though that Thomas hasn't been given much to do at all - hopefully we'll find out more about him next series.

I thought the first two stories of this series were pretty average, but the final three stories have been really good I think.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    I really can't take to jack at all, I don't find him likeable at all.

Same here. I find him really unlikeable and his behaviour and manner just plain annoying.
  • macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I used to be a fan of Silent Witness back in the early days of Sam Ryan. One of the things which put me off was the fact that they started to concentrate too much on the lives of the doctors involved. Each episode one of them found a 'personal' connection to the case and it got quite ridiculous. Add to that the fact that they were all improbably good looking it just became plain silly. For Heaven's sake in one episode Harry was indulging in some hanky-panky in a multi-storey car park. I rather liked the pathologist who worked with Morse who was grumpy, overweight and not terribly attractive - so much more believable. ;-)
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    I really can't take to jack at all, I don't find him likeable at all.

Ugh, me either! Find him desperately irritating.

Harry had so much more charm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Ugh, me either! Find him desperately irritating.

Harry had so much more charm.

Why is he angry every week, i also don't take to him as a actor or the part he is playing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the green camera work and the darkness of it too. is there no light in Silent Witness land?

Oh and I find Jack charmless too.
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    At the start when they were at the graveside and the vicar said ashes to ashes, dust to dust etc you saw a hand lift up some earth to throw into the grave then the body started appearing, it looked as if the coffin was still at the side of the grave? If so, why was someone picking up earth to throw on top of the coffin? It's trivial but it's bugging me.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why should Jack have to be charming? He isn't trying to be another 'Tom'. I find his character refreshingly different if sarcastic and impetuous. This series has improved no end since the departure of Tom and smoothie top pathologist Leo Dalton, and the entrants of more fallible or vulnerable characters like Jack and Clarissa. The last 2 series for the most part have been poor, and this series has been a welcome return to form IMO.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    So why should Jack have to be charming? He isn't trying to be another 'Tom'. I find his character refreshingly different if sarcastic and impetuous. This series has improved no end since the departure of Tom and smoothie top pathologist Leo Dalton, and the entrants of more fallible or vulnerable characters like Jack and Clarissa. The last 2 series for the most part have been poor, and this series has been a welcome return to form IMO.

The character doesn't have to be charming per se but he should be engaging. I think the actor is trying to portray moody and maverick, but all I'm getting is petulant and peevish.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    The character doesn't have to be charming per se but he should be engaging. I think the actor is trying to portray moody and maverick, but all I'm getting is petulant and peevish.

He's not a great actor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    BIB He does seem to be just making up the numbers at the moment.:D

I have to say I'm a disappointed with the way the producers are treating Liz Carr (Clarissa). They go to the trouble of creating a three-dimensional disabled character, whose disability is simply part of who she is and not her storyline, yet they won't give her a credit in the opening titles, even though she is contributing just as much as Richard Lintern's Thomas. They seem to be saying she's still a second-class citizen as far as our drama is concerned.
    Do you really think she is a 3d character? What is she other than 'sarcastic' and 'brilliant at her job'? (Because they write her as being some kind of telepathic computer savant who has read ahead in the script) she is just a plot device, like dr who's screwdriver.
    She doesn't seem to have family or stories outside of the office.
    The character make lots of references to her disability, in that annoying, self deprecating way disabled comedians often have too.
    I haven't felt that she is that well rounded, is what. I am saying, basically.

She's quite a terrible actor. If she wasn't disabled, I'd say just sack her. In fact no, I say that anyway. Hire someone disabled who can actually act and write her as a rounded character.

Having said that I do admire the show for casting someone with a visible disability.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite enjoyed the earlier stories in this run so I recorded Thursday's episode intending to watch the two this evening.

Is it just me, or is it the most boring SW story ever? I could not take it any more and stopped watching half way through the first episode and deleted the second.

Have I made a mistake?
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone get a vibe Nikki has a soft spot for jack\?
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macavity77 wrote: »
    I used to be a fan of Silent Witness back in the early days of Sam Ryan. One of the things which put me off was the fact that they started to concentrate too much on the lives of the doctors involved. Each episode one of them found a 'personal' connection to the case and it got quite ridiculous. Add to that the fact that they were all improbably good looking it just became plain silly. For Heaven's sake in one episode Harry was indulging in some hanky-panky in a multi-storey car park. I rather liked the pathologist who worked with Morse who was grumpy, overweight and not terribly attractive - so much more believable. ;-)

Agree with all this - and Emilia Fox's character is too young to be a senior pathologist surely ?
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Does anyone get a vibe Nikki has a soft spot for jack\?

Yes I do, a little predictable,
    Can't understand why though he's so flaming moody/grumpy/miserable
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Check out her neck wrinkles. She is plenty old enough.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I have quite enjoyed the earlier stories in this run so I recorded Thursday's episode intending to watch the two this evening.

Is it just me, or is it the most boring SW story ever? I could not take it any more and stopped watching half way through the first episode and deleted the second.

Have I made a mistake?

Yes. Part 2 of the most gripping hour of television I've ever seen in my entire life and you've missed it. Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Of course, I could be lying.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    I wasn't really grabbed by this storyline to be honest. I still quite enjoy SW though.

On a shallow note, I thought the doctor who was having the affair with the underage girl was rather delicious ... he was like a caucasian Navin Chowdhury.

I thought Ashley Walters was poor.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Haydn Gwynne and found myself hoping she'd be brought in to lead the team in place of Thomas. I was quite disappointed when she left. I could have lived without Jack, quite frankly.

One of the highlights of this series for me has been the various police detectives. They've all been much more engaging and real than the forensic glamourpusses.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Agree with all this - and Emilia Fox's character is too young to be a senior pathologist surely ?

That might have been a good point 10 years ago, but I think that she has worked herself up quite nicely in those years.

As for pathologists on Morse (and also Frost), I wouldn't mind a nice dinner with either Clare Holman or Julia St. John.

And remember that the pathologist on those series is only a bit part and not the lead character (there is a reason why many people were glad when Burton left SW; who was the same age as Emilia Fox when the series started by the way).
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the storyline and I'll be honest, I really like Jack. Maybe that's because this is the first series I've ever watched so have no predecessor to compare him too. He's a little bit gorgeous too which helps.

I liked the stand-in character and kinda hoped she would be retained for the next series with Nikki and Jack.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I also like Jack, and as I starting watching at the start of last series, so can't compare him to anyone. I was worried they'd killed him off for a second.

Not the strongest episode of the series, wasn't as gripping as usual.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked the storyline and I'll be honest, I really like Jack. Maybe that's because this is the first series I've ever watched so have no predecessor to compare him too. He's a little bit gorgeous too which helps.

I liked the stand-in character and kinda hoped she would be retained for the next series with Nikki and Jack.

I agree with all of this.:)
  • macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member

As for pathologists on Morse (and also Frost), I wouldn't mind a nice dinner with either Clare Holman or Julia St. John.

/QUOTE]
    Never mentioned Frost as I have never watched it. I was actually thinking of Max in Morse; he predated the woman named after a fish.

Amanda Burton was believably ordinary looking not to detract from the plot - sorry no idea why she left the program and it isn't really relevant. I still stand by my original conclusion that the current characters suggest that you have to be ultra-glamorous with film star good looks to be a pathologist. I think the scriptwriters have been reading far too many of those American novels!