Kids birthday parties

mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We don't want our son's birthday party at home for various reasons so we are looking at having a party somewhere else.

Some places are asking silly money.

What would you pay for a party of around 10 6/7 year olds???

I am seeing quite a few places quoting per child and not giving much leeway on no-shows.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McDonalds/Pizza Hut, don't they do birthdays?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about £10 per child if its some sort of activity based thing

How about bowling, then no shows won't make any difference
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    We hire a local community centre hall, can invite loads of kids, stick some music on and have party games. It works out cheaper than going to our local play centres that charge per head.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We hire a local community centre hall, can invite loads of kids, stick some music on and have party games. It works out cheaper than going to our local play centres that charge per head.

I wouldn't have though that was cost effective for just 10 kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I wouldn't have though that was cost effective for just 10 kids.

Sorry should have explained better. We used to do the local play centres and limit to 10 kids. For less than we paid for that, we could hire the hall and invite the whole class - 30 kids. You dont have to spend loads doing fancy food either, crisps and sausages etc. Jugs of diluting juice is essential as they all run about mental.

Its just a suggestion, I'm not forcing them to do it :)
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £10 a head is about the least you can expect to pay. I agree with whoever said bowling as you can kind of control it yourself, or the alleys often offer a package with food and entertainment and you can finalise the numbers a couple of days before the party so you hopefully wont be paying for anyone who doesn't turn up.

It all depends where you live and what you have available locally. One of the best we ever did was for my daughter's 12th birthday where we went to a local recording studio and she and her friends recorded 2 tracks, they all got a CD to take home with them and we did the food ourselves. That was a flat fee of £100, regardless of how many turned up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cinema. Most people probably don't even think of it. http://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/groups-and-parties/reelkool-parties
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a clown. You should get this guy. He's real good. In the field of live local home entertainment. he's a God!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD0s8JkdVi0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    This website is great for finding party ideas for kids - its basically a directory of venues and the like. If you are inviting lots of kids it might be more cost effective to hire a hall where they don't charge per head..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    depends where you are - a play center around here (hull way) will be about £7 a head (minimum of 12 normally).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine love sleepovers for their birthdays. 10 children may be pushing it though... :D
    If your kid doesn't mind less friends being invited a sleepover is probably the cheapest and most fun option. Cover their bedroom floor in airbed and sleeping bags, get some pizza's in, popcorn etc and leave them to it!!
  • DONT LOOK NOWDONT LOOK NOW Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Frankies & Bennys????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    £10 a head is about the least you can expect to pay. I agree with whoever said bowling as you can kind of control it yourself, or the alleys often offer a package with food and entertainment and you can finalise the numbers a couple of days before the party so you hopefully wont be paying for anyone who doesn't turn up.

It all depends where you live and what you have available locally. One of the best we ever did was for my daughter's 12th birthday where we went to a local recording studio and she and her friends recorded 2 tracks, they all got a CD to take home with them and we did the food ourselves. That was a flat fee of £100, regardless of how many turned up.

Love this idea. Will try and remember this one for when the grandkids are older. Thanks. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Our local Sealife Centre used to hold birthday parties. No idea if they still do though.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taking them to a film at a child's price and then for a kid's meal at McDonalds would probably be less than £10. Some cinemas have a really cheap morning of films on a Saturday.

Of course at this time of the year, it has to be inside, but in the summer, it can work out much less expensive to do up a picnic and take them to the local park. You can get them to run races, etc and give small prizes to the winners. Get a couple of the parents to come along and lend a hand too.

You really don't have to pay the earth for a kid's party.